new gps

Old May 11th 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

Default new gps

Jhimmy

But the track you save won't be your track, at least not in one of the
three dimensions saved!

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

I'm still wondering why I keep tracks, I look at them once and never view
them again!

Jhimmy

Old May 11th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Martin Richardson

In message , Jhimmy
writes

Jhimmy

But the track you save won't be your track, at least not in one of the
three dimensions saved!

Mike
-- o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
" || _`\,_ |__\ \ | caving, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

I'm still wondering why I keep tracks, I look at them once and never
view them again!

I save mine in MemoryMap - and then wonder why the map seems to be
covered in a spider's web.
--
Martin Richardson
56/220 Corbetts - 25% 772/1555 Marilyns - 49.6%

Old May 11th 09, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

Martin Richardson wrote:

In message , Jhimmy
writes

I'm still wondering why I keep tracks, I look at them once and never
view them again!

I save mine in MemoryMap - and then wonder why the map seems to be
covered in a spider's web.

I've got all my wanderings saved in Oziexplorer. Every once in a while
I open a map and load all the tracks to see where I have been.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Sgurr na Banachdich
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old May 12th 09, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn[_2_]

On Mon, 11 May 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

Martin Richardson wrote:

In message , Jhimmy
writes

I'm still wondering why I keep tracks, I look at them once and never
view them again!

I save mine in MemoryMap - and then wonder why the map seems to be
covered in a spider's web.

I've got all my wanderings saved in Oziexplorer. Every once in a while
I open a map and load all the tracks to see where I have been.

Im still looking. Handtec seem to be cheap at 159 for the etrex vista
Hcx and 175 for the 60cx

I am now leaning towards the etrex vista not just because it is
cheaper but it fits in my current camera case which with an aerial the
60cx probably does not.

Is there that much difference between the 2 models (sensors excepted)?

In a short while I will let you all know what I went for.
Old May 12th 09, 06:40 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Gwyn wrote:

I am now leaning towards the etrex vista not just because it is
cheaper but it fits in my current camera case which with an aerial the
60cx probably does not.

Is there that much difference between the 2 models (sensors excepted)?

60 has a larger screen. V imp IMO.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wilderness-images.co.uk

Old May 12th 09, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Craig Wallace

On 12/05/2009 03:22, Gwyn wrote:

Im still looking. Handtec seem to be cheap at 159 for the etrex vista
Hcx and 175 for the 60cx

I am now leaning towards the etrex vista not just because it is
cheaper but it fits in my current camera case which with an aerial the
60cx probably does not.

Is there that much difference between the 2 models (sensors excepted)?

In a short while I will let you all know what I went for.

Featurewise, they are pretty much identical. Unless you're bothered
about using a serial port or an external aerial.

Its mainly just a case of size and shape. The 60 has a slightly bigger
screen, but its a bit bulky for walking etc IMO, or for putting in you
pocket. And the eTrex is possibly easier to use one handed (it has most
buttons on the side).

If you're not bothered about the sensors, why not look at the eTrex
Legend Hcx? Its a bit cheaper than the Vista Hcx.

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old May 12th 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Phil Cook wrote:

The S stands for sensors. The S models have an electronic compass and
a pressure sensor. so in theory you can tell which direction you are
facing and how the pressure changes over time which can be useful for
determining height or whether there is a storm coming. I don't miss
them having on a 76CX but you and others might feel differently.

I virtually never use the compass function. It is occasionally useful if you
really need to know which way you're facing, but it eats batteries at a
frightening rate so I leave it switched off as a default.

I do find the altimeter/barometer useful though. I'm not sure how accurate
GPS altitude is with Egnos these days, but from everything I've read the
altimeter version gives better (smoother) results, at least most of the
time. I was never happy with the way that the GPS altitude jumped around
with my GPS12. On Allt Forgan the other day I experienced the altitude
jumping around a lot due to the extremely strong winds, but I was able to
get a reasonable altitude estimate by marking a waypoint and averaging (it
uses the GPS altitude for this, not the altimeter).

One benefit of the altimeter version is that you still get altitude even if
you only have a 2D fix, or lose lock completely. This happened again
recently in the forested Caerfanell valley. So while my GPS was jumping
around trying to figure out where it was, my altimeter still gave a fairly
reliable reading. In valleys it's pretty easy to figure out where you are
from the altimeter alone, just by comparing it with with contours next to
the river.

I find the barometer function useful too when camping, since it stores 48
hours of data. I always check the forecast before going out, but if you're
out camping for more than a couple of days with no access to a weather
forecast, it becomes increasingly useful to help anticipate weather changes.

Paul

Old May 12th 09, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Jhimmy wrote:

I also have a 60Csx, I really can't be arsed to find out the
barometric pressure and zero it in.

You don't have to. It's very simple to set.

Method 1: Before you leave home, calibrate the altimeter by entering your
current altitude. You know your home altitude, don't you? If not, find out
(check the map or average a waypoint). Just get into the habit of entering
your altitude at home before every trip.

You can do this at the start of your walk too, if you can be bothered to
look at the map and study the contour lines, but they're not always easy to
see if they're covered with other details.

Method 2: If you don't use method 1, or you travel a long way (pressure can
change a lot over distance), simply calibrate the altimeter by using the
current GPS altitude. Only takes a few seconds.

Menu - Calibrate Altimeter
Do you know the correct elevation? - No
Do you know the correct pressure? - No
Do you want to use the current GPS altitude? - Yes

Obviously it's best to get a reasonable lock before doing this, but it's
very quick and easy. You really should do this at the start of every walk.

Paul

Old May 12th 09, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Mike Clark wrote:

Each time you switch the unit on the auto-calibration starts off by
assuming the last saved manual calibration result. Thus if you haven't
recently manually calibrated the device, and also if that last manual
calibration is very different from current ambient results, you'll end
up with the initial readings being miscalculated. It may take 30
minutes or more for the autocalibration to adjust to the current
ambient conditions and if you then switch the unit off and on again
that auto-recalibraion is lost and restarts all over again.

So don't switch it off! Not usually necessary during a walk since GPS
batteries tend to last a long time these days.

When camping, mark a waypoint before you switch it off, to record the
elevation. Next day when you switch it on, you can recalibrate to the same
elevation.

Paul

Old May 12th 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Jhimmy wrote:

I'm still wondering why I keep tracks, I look at them once and never
view them again!

They can be useful for all sorts of things.

One is to check where you took a particular photograph.

Another is to check how long a certain walk took if you plan to do it again.

Another is to check which way you went on the last walk in an area, so that
you can do a different variation on your next walk there.

Another is to study your distance and ascent timings to work out your own
variation on Naismith's Rule.

Another is to check exactly where you went during a peak bagging trip, to be
sure that you really did bag the summit!

Paul