Garmin Vista

Old June 20th 04, 02:52 PM
Fraser Macfarlane

Default Garmin Vista

I've just bought a Garmin GPS Vista and wondered if anyone could tell me the
best way to enter a long route - such as the Pennine Way - into its memory.

Any tips?

Fraser

Old June 20th 04, 05:24 PM
Al

"Fraser Macfarlane" wrote in message
I've just bought a Garmin GPS Vista and wondered if anyone could tell me

the
best way to enter a long route - such as the Pennine Way - into its

memory.

Hi

The best way is some sort of mapping software on your PC, plot waypoints,
allocate waypoints plotted to a route (max 50 waypoints to a route) I use
one route per day of walking on my Legend which is much the same as your
Vista. Alternatively you could create tracks on the PC and upload them and
use tracback (not my preferred method as I like to record tracks and save
them when walking).
As for the PC software there are commercially available digital maps Anquet
or Memory Map. I use oziexplorer with scanned maps but scanning them can be
tedious to do.
You would have to be some sort of massochist to try to manually enter a
route like the Pennine way.

Rgds Alan

Old June 20th 04, 07:30 PM
Mark

If you're going to use Memory Map to do it let me (us) know how you get on
as i think i'll be getting a Vista to use with my Memory Map.

Old June 21st 04, 11:37 PM
Lewis

Memory Map or Anquet if you like it easy! They come with maps, but Ozi is
meant to be better, although you have to scan your own!

Old July 7th 04, 11:24 AM
Rob Milne

If you're going to use Memory Map to do it let me (us) know how you get
on as i think i'll be getting a Vista to use with my Memory Map.

A bit of a late response, but I use Memory Map and an etrex Vista.
combo works fine and very successful.
Only comment is that when I upload tracks from the Vista to MM, it adds to
what is there already. So i have lots and lots of tracks called Active
Log.
Not really sure how to only upload what is new, or only upload the saved
tracks,
Rob

Old July 7th 04, 07:53 PM
Gordon

Rob Milne wrote
If you're going to use Memory Map to do it let me (us) know how you get
on as i think i'll be getting a Vista to use with my Memory Map.

A bit of a late response, but I use Memory Map and an etrex Vista.
combo works fine and very successful.
Only comment is that when I upload tracks from the Vista to MM, it adds to
what is there already. So i have lots and lots of tracks called Active
Log.
Not really sure how to only upload what is new, or only upload the saved
tracks,
Rob

Can't you separate the tracks and edit them in Memory Map like you can
in Ozi? If I download a bunch of tracks from Vista to Ozi I display
the track points and select each group (walk) in turn and save them to
individual files.
--
Gordon