Upper abs, lower abs, and the back

Old February 28th 04, 03:04 PM
Isiafs5

Default Upper abs, lower abs, and the back

From my recent readings of Kendall on Muscle Testing and Function, I have
learned that weak lower ab muscles is a very common condition in adults with
lower back problems. Lower back problems happen to almost everyone for varying
lengths of time.

The author uses crunches to test upper ab strength and proper leg lowering to
test lower abs.

In a separate MEDLINE article I read one research that concluded crunches don't
involve the lower abs to any significant degree. However, they discovered that
using 15 pounds on the test would activate the lower abs during a crunch.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old March 3rd 04, 07:20 PM
Steve Freides

"Isiafs5" wrote in message
From my recent readings of Kendall on Muscle Testing and Function, I have
learned that weak lower ab muscles is a very common condition in adults

with
lower back problems. Lower back problems happen to almost everyone for

varying
lengths of time.

The author uses crunches to test upper ab strength and proper leg lowering

test lower abs.

In a separate MEDLINE article I read one research that concluded crunches

don't
involve the lower abs to any significant degree. However, they discovered

that
using 15 pounds on the test would activate the lower abs during a crunch.

None of this is news although none of it is wrong, either. I suffered a
severe herniated disc 6 years ago and, in figuring out what I needed to do
to keep my back healthy (once I was able to walk normally again, which took
about 15 months) included having a strong midsection. At this point my
midsection probably the strongest part of my body and my back is doing very
well.

I would, however, suggest reading "Bullet-Proof Abs" by Pavel Tsatsouline
(http://www.kbnj.com/bpa.htm) to anyone wishing to strengthen their
midsection. Before I found BPA, I worked up to 1200 crunches and achieved
very little in terms of functional ab strength. The usual drills in BPA
have given me a midsection I never even dreamed was possible - sorry if that
sounds like hype but it's true. In part because of the strength of my
midsection, I deadlifted 345 lbs. the other day at a bodyweight of 153, not
too shabby for someone with a bad back like me.

In short, there are many alternative to crunches and situps that will do
much more to help stabilize the spine than either of those drills will. A
brief explanation as to why this is so: Situps work the abs and the hip
flexors. Crunches work the abs in relative isolation. Functional strength
that protects the spine, however, works the abs with the gluteal muscles -
notice what happens when you brace for a punch in the stomach - you tighten
your abs but you also use your butt to turn your pelvis under part of the
way. Exercise that work this combination, tightening the abs and the
posterior chain at the same time, are far more functional for most people
than any type of crunch or situp.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 4th 04, 09:14 PM
Isiafs5

Steve

You might consider adding "this has been public, published knowledge for at
least a decade" to your post.

If you review the archives of this newsgroup you will see that the public,
published knowledge did not make it here all that quickly.

The idea, e.g., that a little added
weight causes both ends of the abs to be worked in crunches is, well,
common.

See my comment above. As a matter of fact quite the opposite was argued here
in the past. That no weight was necessary to involve the lower abs.

Old March 6th 04, 03:40 AM
Steve Freides

"Isiafs5" wrote in message
Steve

You might consider adding "this has been public, published knowledge for

at
least a decade" to your post.

If you review the archives of this newsgroup you will see that the public,
published knowledge did not make it here all that quickly.

The idea, e.g., that a little added
weight causes both ends of the abs to be worked in crunches is, well,
common.

See my comment above. As a matter of fact quite the opposite was argued

here
in the past. That no weight was necessary to involve the lower abs.

I participate in several newsgroups, not just this one - maybe the
misc.fitness.aerobic folks ought to get out a little more.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 6th 04, 07:26 AM
Isiafs5

"Steve Freides"
I participate in several newsgroups, not just this one - maybe the
misc.fitness.aerobic folks ought to get out a little more.

Oughta, shoulda, woulda, coulda, whatever.

Why don't you fill us with your great knowledge then.

Old March 8th 04, 06:49 AM
Steve Freides

"Isiafs5" wrote in message
"Steve Freides"
I participate in several newsgroups, not just this one - maybe the
misc.fitness.aerobic folks ought to get out a little more.

Oughta, shoulda, woulda, coulda, whatever.

Why don't you fill us with your great knowledge then.

No, thank you. That's why my newsreader has several fitness-related
newsgroups in it and that's why there's Google - try this:

Go to: http://www.groups.google.com

Search for: lower abs added weight

You'll see a message from the very well known and well respected Dr. Fred
Hatfield, Ph.D., who's usually known as Dr. Squat. From that message:

"Electromyographic studies have demonstrated that the upper portion of the
recti [the rectus abdominus muscles we're discussing, those that run up and
down in the front of the abdomen and are the proverbial six-pack] produced
more activity when doing crunches with no weight, but when as little as ten
pounds was added, activity was equal throughout the muscle."

The message was posted on misc.fitness.weights on February 2, 1996, which is
a little over 8 years ago. People might want to read the entire thread,
which was started on January 31, 1996. Like I said, this is not news and
you could, if you wished - it's just a suggestion - assume we all know how
to use Google and maybe even use it yourself before posting something. On
the other hand, I can't fault you for posting something like you did because
people don't all use Google, and seeing the same information, as long as
it's right, over and over is just fine. But just don't tell us it's news if
it's not, and if you thought the study you cited was truly presenting
something new, then don't take my complaining as faulting you but take it as
faulting the study you cited because it's their fault and not yours.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 8th 04, 12:21 PM
Isiafs5

Steve

Okay, Steve, now you have spanked me for posting old news. And you have
supported your statement. Happy?

You have just broken ground as a new kind of net cop. Congratulations.