Nausea Long After Running

Old March 10th 04, 03:04 PM
mike s.

Default Nausea Long After Running

I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several marathons
(3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just decided to
stop running due to nausea and vomiting that sometimes lasts 2-3 days
after even short runs. She has changed her diet and tried several
prescription antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
problem.

Any ideas what her problem may be?

Thanks.

Mike S.
Old March 10th 04, 03:12 PM
Tim Downie

mike s. wrote:
I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several marathons
(3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just decided to
stop running due to nausea and vomiting that sometimes lasts 2-3 days
after even short runs. She has changed her diet and tried several
prescription antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
problem.

Any ideas what her problem may be?

No, but I know a man who does. He's called a doctor and she'd be well
advised to seek one.

2 to 3 days of vomiting after short runs? That's got to deserve
investigation.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.
Please support rheumatoid arthritis research!

Old March 10th 04, 04:57 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , mike s. wrote:
I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several marathons
(3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just decided to
stop running due to nausea and vomiting that sometimes lasts 2-3 days
after even short runs. She has changed her diet and tried several
prescription antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
problem.

Any ideas what her problem may be?

No idea, and I'd second Tim's advice. This is *not* normal, and it doesn't
sound like any "running problem" I've heard of (hence most runners will not
be able to give a good answer), but rather, some condition whose symptoms are
exposed by physical exertion. It does deserve medical attention.

It is not that unusual for runners to experience sporadic cases of nausea, but
nothing even close to the degree that you've described (which to me suggests
some sort of illness, but don't take my word for it, go ask your doc)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old March 10th 04, 06:03 PM

Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries
Old March 10th 04, 06:36 PM
Carlos Jones

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:03:51 GMT, wrote:

Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries

Excellent idea. Perhaps she should add eye of newt or skin of toad
and cure cancer whilst she's at it?
Old March 11th 04, 01:11 AM
Mike S.

She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using "prescription"
antacids!

Are you from a strange place where all doctors are men?

Old March 11th 04, 04:27 AM
bj

Maybe she needs to see a different doctor or at least go back to the one she
has seen -- if the problem persists, so should investigating it.
bj

Old March 11th 04, 04:20 PM
eNo

Any possibility of pregnancy?

--
`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,` `,,,,
eNo

Old March 11th 04, 04:41 PM
Tim Downie

Mike S. wrote:
She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using
"prescription" antacids!

In which case they're not working and she needs to go back. Her doctor
isn't psychic and unless she tells him/her, he/she won't know that the
antacids aren't working.

Are you from a strange place where all doctors are men?

No, I sometimes just get tired of the he/she, him/her stuff.

It's *probably* nothing serious, but then again, we can't tell and it would
be wrong to discount an oddity like this as just a side effect of running.
As eNo has mentioned, it would be worth making discrete enquiries about the
possibility of pregnancy.

Tim

Old March 11th 04, 05:26 PM
Jonathan Sydenham

blueberries are nicer than eye of newt or skin of toad - they also have
proven benefits (look where newts and toads got Lady McB, a sub 3 thonner if
ever I saw one)