What Is This Routine Missing?

Old September 4th 03, 12:42 PM
A. Snow

Default What Is This Routine Missing?

At the bottom are the two routines I do. The "A" routine I do 2-3 times
a week and the "B" routine I typically do 2 times a week.

I work out at home with a bench, a barbell, and various dumbbells. I
don't own any other equipment nor can I afford any more at this time. I
do three sets of each excercise (although I occasionally add one or two
extra sets on with weights reduced by 10-20% or so after the three sets)
at weights that allow me to do between 6-12 reps while being
challenged. I rarely have a spotter because I work nights and do my
workout at 10:30 PM or so, thus making it hard for me to lift until
failure on potentially dangerous exercises like bench press and squats.

I'll be 28 years old next month. I'm 5'11" 187 lbs and have maintained
a consistent weight for the last year (give or take 5 lbs). I started
working out (I originally started with cardio only) last fall after my
weight got up to 215 and I looked and felt like ****. I have been
lifting since January and stepped it up quite a bit and organized my
workouts more around May. I am pretty disciplined about my eating
habits and nutrition, starting about 4 months ago. I supplement my food
intake with fairly large amounts of whey protein, as well as daily
multivitamins. I started using creatine two weeks ago and have yet to
see/feel any significant difference. I drink TONS of water. My sugar
intake is minimal and I occasionally allow myself to have a Pepsi (maybe
once a week). My worst anti-fitness vice is beer. I love beer and
still let myself have a six pack or so once every two weeks.

My goals are pretty common and generic- fat loss, increased strength,
increased size, increased definition, looking better and feeling
better. I'd like any of your suggestions regarding what to add to these
routines to pretty much hit my whole body. If I left out any details, I
apologize. Let me know and I'll fill you in. Sorry if the above info
seems really random. I just wanted to give you as much factual info as
necessary to help in your evaluation of my workouts. Thank you VERY
much in advance for your advice.

"A" routine (in order)

1. Bench Press
2. Decline Bench Press
3. Dumbbell Pullovers
4. Barbell Bicep Curls
5. Tricep Extensions
6. Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press
7. Weighted Bench Dips
8. Wrist Curls
9. Crunches

"B" routine (in order)

1. Squats
2. Standing Calf Raises
3. Leg Extensions
4. Leg Curls
5. Bent Over Rows
6. Crunches (only on "B" routine days that don't directly follow an "A"
routine day, so I avoid training abs two days in a row.)

Old September 5th 03, 03:10 AM
DanL

"RedGuru" wrote in message
88.17...

I move my shoulder work to Leg day on my two day split routy, Feel the
shoulders get overworked when I do my other upper body work and were to
add shoulder exercises to it. The only shoulder exercise I do on upper
body day, are rear-delt flyes, and I do them after I work lats.

Day 1

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows 5x5
Reverse Grip Lat pulldown 3x12
Rear-Delt Flyes 3x12
Barbell Curls 5x5
Preacher Curls 3x12
Barbell Bench Press 3x12 (with a 1/2 1RM warmup set)
Incline Bench Press 3x12
Narrow Grip Bench Press 3x12
Tricep Cable Pushdowns 3x12
Hammer Curls 3x12
30 minutes spinning, intervals 400 -1000 C/Hr 2min spread.

Day 2

Full Squats 3x6-7
Lunges 3x12
Standing single-leg calf raises 3x12
Dumbbell Upright Rows 3x12
DumbBell Front Raise 3x12
Incline Crunches 3x15
Incline Twisting Situps 3x15
Reverse Wrist Curls 3x12
No Cardio, My legs are done by this time

Off Days Light Cardio (Jog or hill climb)

12x12x12xx

- RedGuru

Are you doing these routines on back to back days? If so, then your
shoulders are getting worked every day. Any bench or pressing movement uses
a lot of shoulders, and you have plenty of that in your routine with bench,
incline bench and close grip bench. There's really no point in hitting them
directly on a separate day if you work your other lifts hard enough. Also,
you should order your lifts so you hit the compound lifts 1st then do the
smaller lifts- for example, any benching should come before rear delts,
curls, rows and pulldowns. Do all your benching, all your lat work, then do
triceps, biceps.