Newbie questions about sweating and drinking water while walking

Old August 19th 03, 11:56 PM
Uncle Peter

Default Newbie questions about sweating and drinking water while walking

"Peg" wrote in message
.. .
. He just
mocked me for buying a fanny pack with water jugs so that I could take

water
along with me, telling me that I was "babying" myself and that I didn't

need
to take any water with me because the temperatures are only in the 70s to
80s and we were going such short distances. He also said that the dog
didn't need any water. He says that they don't need any water because he
and the dog are "not out of shape." What are the water requirements when
walking and is not sweating really an indication of physical fitness?

Peggy

If you need the water, bring it. Everyone's tolerances are different. I
carry
water for myself and the dog on walks. Actually, she carries the small
bottles on her back back.

Old August 20th 03, 04:25 PM
Casey Stamper

"Peg" wrote in
:

I am new to this group. I'm a 57 year old woman, about 100 pounds
overweight, 5 foot tall, who has lymphadema in both legs and has had
both knees replaced, the right one in December 2001 and the left one
in March 2003. My walking partner is a 43 year old man, over 6 feet
tall, very slender (almost skinny). We take my dog (a cocker spaniel
mix) along with us when we walk. Our usual walks are about 1-1/2
miles but I once made a 3 mile walk and I want to build up to doing 3
mile walks consistently.

Now for the questions. He sweats not at all and I sweat profusely.
He just mocked me for buying a fanny pack with water jugs so that I
could take water along with me, telling me that I was "babying" myself
and that I didn't need to take any water with me because the
temperatures are only in the 70s to 80s and we were going such short
distances. He also said that the dog didn't need any water. He says
that they don't need any water because he and the dog are "not out of
shape." What are the water requirements when walking and is not
sweating really an indication of physical fitness?

Peggy

I have always been a profuse sweater - no matter what shape I've been in.
I'm a 46-year-old man and I've been in better shape. Regardless, even
when I was in the best shape of my life, I was a profuse sweater. That
having been said, I don't think it's necessary to take water on short
walks but it's entirely up to you - it won't hurt you at all and drinking
plenty of water is good for you anyway. Keep walking!

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying
Old August 20th 03, 08:02 PM
Tom Welch

Peggy:

1st, tell your walking partner to go
to hell. Then, do what what you feel
most comfortable doing. If that means
carrying a water bottle, so be it.

I know a number of people that have lost
a significant amount of weight merely by
walking one hour day.

You might think about finding walking
partners or groups that will better
support your effort to get fit.

Tom Welch
Old August 20th 03, 08:53 PM
bj

Your companion's needs/body reactions/etc. are irrelevant to yours!
I exercise a lot, and the longer I'm going to be out, and/or the hotter it
is, the more water I carry.
I'm in pretty good shape -- that line about "in shape, don't need water" is
a load of hogwash. Also dangerous to the dog as well as to you..

By the way, if it's hot, I suggest freezing 1/2 bottles of water, then
topping off with cold water; it'll melt as you go and taste better than
tepid water.

People DIE because of dehydration & overheating.
So do dogs.
Especially in hot weather.

Drink a bit more than you really think you need to, but don't drown
yourself! I like to tank up before I start, so I don't feel the need
(physical or intellectual) for the first 15 minutes or so.

Check out any marathon -- they have lots of water stops, and you don't see
the elites skipping them, either -- would he say they're out of shape?

If you feel you need water, carry it -- you don't have to drink it. Carry
extra for that time when HE will want some. Also watch out for the dog -- if
s/he seems to be laboring, give the poor thing a drink!

Is this a friend? or a saboteur?
As someone else said -- ditch the guy, keep the dog.
bj

"Peg" wrote in message
.. .
I am new to this group. I'm a 57 year old woman, about 100 pounds
overweight, 5 foot tall, who has lymphadema in both legs and has had both
knees replaced, the right one in December 2001 and the left one in March
2003. My walking partner is a 43 year old man, over 6 feet tall, very
slender (almost skinny). We take my dog (a cocker spaniel mix) along with
us when we walk. Our usual walks are about 1-1/2 miles but I once made a

3
mile walk and I want to build up to doing 3 mile walks consistently.

Now for the questions. He sweats not at all and I sweat profusely. He

Old August 27th 03, 06:39 AM
SPeacock

Now for the questions. He sweats not at all and I sweat profusely. He just
mocked me for buying a fanny pack with water jugs so that I could take water
along with me, telling me that I was "babying" myself and that I didn't need
to take any water with me because the temperatures are only in the 70s to
80s and we were going such short distances. He also said that the dog
didn't need any water. He says that they don't need any water because he
and the dog are "not out of shape." What are the water requirements when
walking and is not sweating really an indication of physical fitness?

Peggy

Sweating is natural. You have to replace what you lost plus some for the
overhead and handling Dehydration is the main cause of death in trained
professional athletes. During Spring training, football players are weighed
before practice and after. Those who weigh less after the double sessions are
docked. If it happens too often they get suspended. They consume gigantic
quantities of fluid.

The best way to tell if you have enough water is when your urine is almost
colorless. That is one indication that you are 'hydrated'. Most healthy people
will drink LOTs of water throughout the day.

On a hot day while exercising you should be downing around a pint every 1/2
hour. More if you are bigger. Putting some flavoring and some sugar and a bit
of salt helps you drink more because it tastes better. There are cases of
people drinking too much but it is rare. You should be sipping on that bottle
and getting all you can.

Your walking acquaintance may have a tolerance (not a lack of need) and will
just refill later on during the day.

His suggestions are dangerous even if well meaning.

He ought to see the amount of water I drink and sweat. I don't consider my
self out of shape.