Paul Richardson RIP - "Straydog"

Old September 24th 03, 12:15 AM
PhilipPowell

Default Paul Richardson RIP - "Straydog"

I felt I should pass on this posting from a mailing list as it concerns
a longtime contributor to ukrw:
***
I'm gutted to pass on the wretched news from Alison,
that Paul died on Saturday after a characteristically
brave and pragmatic fight with long illness.

Paul was a devoted lover the hills and wild places,
terrific company and had an encyclopedic knowledge
of bird life from which it was impossible not to
learn when out on the hill. He made a bunch of
incisive contributions to this group, particularly
on computer mapping, and was a lively fixture at
the annual gatherings until this year.

He retired a couple of years ago after a lifetime
of NHS service to others, and happily fulfilled his
main walking ambition in the first summer, a
Lands End to John O'Groats walk, taking in many
Marilyns on the way. He remained active on the
hills until very recently, missing out on a 600th
summit by a mere handful. This is one guy whose
memory in the Corridor will be anything but obscure.

There will be a memorial service at 11:30 on
Thursday 25th at Parkgrove Crematorium, Friockheim,
midway between Brechin and Arbroath on the A933,
followed by a reception featuring an appropriate
real ale send off.

So long Straydog.
***
--
Philip Powell
Looking north across the Derwent Valley and Northumberland
Old September 24th 03, 02:08 AM
Paul Saunders

PhilipPowell wrote:

I felt I should pass on this posting from a mailing list as it
concerns a longtime contributor to ukrw:
***
I'm gutted to pass on the wretched news from Alison,
that Paul died on Saturday after a characteristically
brave and pragmatic fight with long illness.

Really sorry to hear this sad news. My commiserations to those who were
close to him.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old September 24th 03, 10:58 AM
Paul Rooney

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:08:00 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

PhilipPowell wrote:

I felt I should pass on this posting from a mailing list as it
concerns a longtime contributor to ukrw:
***
I'm gutted to pass on the wretched news from Alison,
that Paul died on Saturday after a characteristically
brave and pragmatic fight with long illness.

Really sorry to hear this sad news. My commiserations to those who were
close to him.

Paul

Yes - what a shame.

--
Paul
My Lake District walking site (updated 20th September 2003):

Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at:
http://www.justgiving.com/london2004
Old September 24th 03, 11:27 AM
Reid©

Following up to PhilipPowell

and happily fulfilled his main walking ambition in the first summer, a
Lands End to John O'Groats walk

Sorry to hear the sad news.
--
Mike Reid
Old September 24th 03, 08:05 PM
Adrian Tupper

PhilipPowell wrote in
:

I felt I should pass on this posting from a mailing list as it concerns
a longtime contributor to ukrw:
***

Snipped nice obiturary.

Thanks Phil. I remember Paul's posts well. Death is always sad
but if I take anything positive from this it is that walking can
be enjoyed to the last.

--
Adrian
Old September 24th 03, 08:12 PM
PhilipPowell

In message , Reid©
writes
Following up to PhilipPowell

and happily fulfilled his main walking ambition in the first summer, a
Lands End to John O'Groats walk

Sorry to hear the sad news.

I've been asked to forward the following:

n message , Jon M writes
Alison asked me to thank everyone for the messages of support and in
celebration of Paul's contributions to the uk outdoor community.
Donations very welcome for Cancer Research c/o Emslie Collier,
Funeral Director, Broomfield Rd, Montrose DD10 8NX.

PP: I'd be grateful if you'd also forward this to uk.rec.walking.

Old September 24th 03, 09:07 PM
Paul Simonite

As a tribute to a great bloke I am taking the liberty of posting a brief
extract from the email he sent me on 8/8/2002, shortly after completing
his LEJOG walk. We had shared a pint or three in Thurso on his final
night and he set off the next morning from Watten in heavy showery
weather:

"Hi Paul, Julie

Well, I did get there. At about 5.30 on Wednesday, in fact. The walk
did not take me as long as expected and Alison was delayed a bit in
traffic, so I had to waste a bit of time. I ducked into the porch of
the Canisbay Youth Hostel for an hour. The weather had brightened a
bit when I came out and I got a view of Hoy (but not the Old Man). The
weather generally was not as bad as had been forecast, apart from one
extremely heavy shower which fortunately only lasted ten minutes."

--
Cheers,
Compo

Old September 24th 03, 11:18 PM
Jhimmy

Although I've never met Paul, I do remember seeing his name often in uk.r.w.
posts. By the looks of it from some of the posts, Paul liked a pint after a
walk, so Cheers, Paul, I'm in the Lake District tomorrow and I'll give you
a thought on a mountain top and back down I'll have a beer in your name.

Jhimmy.

---

Paul M Johnson Jr Brian Green Weights 2 June 18th 04 09:51 PM
Paul Sr. on American Chopper Jim Ranieri Weights 13 January 29th 04 02:22 PM
Race Report: 31st Paul DeBruyn 15K joe positive Running 3 November 24th 03 10:43 PM
Paul Rooney Ian Dainty Walking in the UK 2 September 17th 03 04:09 PM