meet report...still learning

Old August 28th 03, 11:15 PM
whit

Default meet report...still learning

"John M. Williams" wrote in message

"whit" wrote:

"John M. Williams" wrote:

That comment made me wonder, so just for kicks and giggles, I checked
the AAU American Records page. Whit's records is, indeed, still in
place. But does the AAU have a pretty limited association? Right
next to Whit's squat is the AAU American record for Mil/Law Raw bench
press: 303. ****! I've done a raw 305 in the gym a couple of times,
and that looks like it's the Open record! If I entered Mil/Law Raw
45-49, the record is 259.4; I could walk in and take that in street
clothes without warming up!

i'm not sure if they count prosecutor's a "law enforcement" though.

I've seen rules that I definitely qualify for police olympics.
Under Ohio law, my position is specifically defined as "law
enforcement officer." R.C. 2901.01(A)(11)(h). And I was
permitted to participate in that category in a USAPL meet, but
I bombed, anyway, so it doesn't matter. AAU doesn't much
matter since they don't really have any powerlifting meets
in Ohio. But I see why Hoff likes AAU; it seems that half
their meets are in Virginia.

like i said, i agree that prosecutor's are law enforcement. it's just that
they are also lawyers.

nuff said.

i mean, technically they are - executive branch, and they enforce laws.

but, i think they might want to limit participation to REAL people, not
lawyers.

Oh, you mean they favor lazy pension-accruing donut-eaters?

this is seattle. it's latte's and muffins, dood.

whit

Old August 28th 03, 11:31 PM
Hoff

"John M. Williams" wrote in message
"Hoff" wrote:
"John M. Williams" wrote:
"Hoff" wrote:

Well, I'm sure he'd have no problem. AAU has *many* classes, Mil/Law
being
only one of many. Add Lifetime, maybe an age group (dunno how old),

and
trophies for everyone!

That comment made me wonder, so just for kicks and giggles, I checked
the AAU American Records page. Whit's records is, indeed, still in
place. But does the AAU have a pretty limited association? Right
next to Whit's squat is the AAU American record for Mil/Law Raw bench
press: 303. ****! I've done a raw 305 in the gym a couple of times,
and that looks like it's the Open record! If I entered Mil/Law Raw
45-49, the record is 259.4; I could walk in and take that in street
clothes without warming up!

This is not intended as a comment on Whit's lifts, or yours, or anyone
else's. But it makes me wonder about how many lifters participate in
AAU Powerlifting. In the USAPL, same classes, the bench press records
are much higher, even though it's also drug free. I think the records
are similar in the NASA. I don't think I have any chance of setting
an American Record in either of those association, not even in the
Mil/Law Raw 45-49 class. It just seems odd that AAU records should be
so low.

Well, as for the raw records, I only think they've been around since

about
'96.

My impression is yeah, if you want to go raw, lifetime, mil/law, you'll
probably lift alone. And the records pretty much show that result.

Raw seems to be more popular in the lower weight classes; I had 5 or 6

in
the 165 Raw Masters 1 last year. I think David Moses totalled 1220 or

so
win. The Open Raw 165 total was like 1340.

That I did notice. There's some li'l guys with impressive lifts on
that list.

Of course, the USAPL has a lot of that, too. One of the meet officials
at all the ones I have attended is Dr. Larry Miller. He's in your class.
He doesn't usually compete. But he still puts on his Titan Fury and,
just for exhibition purposes, sees if he is up to benching three times
bodyweight that day.

http://www.titansupport.com/products/shirts/fury.htm

The Open class records are pretty respectable, both raw and equipped.

Once
you start getting to the masters, there are some low spots. Before last
year, the Open Record Squat in my class was 330, which I beat by over 20
lbs. Unfortunately, David squatted something like 454 By the time

you
get to the "lifetime" and "mil/law" classes, it's really hit or miss.

There's no doubt, though, that the top equipped lifters gravitate to the
USAPL. At least for now, it's the place to be, with the IPF

affiliation.
Things may be changing in the future, who knows. RDC's AAU meet at the

USOC
training center may have some long range effects, or maybe not.

The USAPL is starting to get some participation in the Raw
category. No published records, though. The closest meets
for me are USAPL (near Cleveland), and I intend to lift raw
next time. I'm also thinking about a NASA Powersports meet
(strict curl, bench, and deadlift) in Springfield, and those are
always raw.

I never really analyzed the results, but taking another look, you really see
the difference in quality and depth between the equipped vs raw within the
AAU.

In the World Meet last fall, pretty much up and down the board, the raw Open
category outclassed the same Open weight equipped. In quite a few classes,
the raw Open winner would have won the equipped class outright.

Again, I guess it just points out that the top equipped lifters head to the
USAPL, while for raw lifting, the AAU is probably the largest organization.

I knew the USAPL was running raw bench classes; are they doing the same for
all 3?

I guess it wouldn't matter to me. Yeah, given the choice, I'd rather lift
against raw, but I'm still pretty much outclassed except for the regional
meets. Even then, in another year, their's a dude here in Virginia, Joe
Lineman, who is 39 this year, but I think pushing a well over 1100 total.

Hoff

Old August 28th 03, 11:41 PM
Hoff

"Wldmn586796894" wrote in message
There's no doubt, though, that the top equipped lifters gravitate to the
USAPL. At least for now, it's the place to be, with the IPF affiliation.
Things may be changing in the future, who knows. RDC's AAU meet at the

USOC
training center may have some long range effects, or maybe not.

Hoff

I can remember back when the the USAPL became a transformation of the

ADFPA, a
group that trasformed from a monk. yep, he was cool. Dr. Ken and others
boosted him for years in the PLUSA publication
Best to you , HOFF, and I respect your beliefs,

??? I probably have many strange beliefs. Which are you "respecting"?

but I also remember when the
times when we could show up in gym shorts, not be laughed at, and still

get a
fairly decent total

Guessing, but you seem to think I'm somehow arguing for equipment?

If that's the case, FYI, I lift raw. So (for now) does Sharon.

But just as I was mentioning above, I think the point is going to come where
Sharon goes equipped. It's where the top competition is. She's still
pretty much a novice, but improving fast.

I never did better at the 148's than 337-298-410, raw, but I considered it

major accomplishment

Hell, I'd take it right now, at 165 raw. At least it's over 1000. My best
to date has been 352-220-418. Hopefully to be improved Nov 1.

Hoff

Old August 28th 03, 11:44 PM
Hoff

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

BTW, that's not how RDC remembers it.

According to him, when the first caveman picked up a boulder, he was using
rubber elbow sleeves.

Or something like that.

Hoff

Old August 29th 03, 12:14 AM
Keith Hobman

In article , "Hoff"
wrote:

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Yeah, but remember he was in California. In the 60's the california
lifters were noted for all the 'extra' things they did. Wrap the knees
with tennis balls behind the knee, denim pants, elbow wraps with rubber
sleeves, etc. It wasn't considered very pure by the other lifters and
California lifters got a rep.

RDC was in Oakland at the time and witnessed all this first hand.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.
Old August 29th 03, 03:05 AM
Hoff

"John M. Williams" wrote in message

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I knew the USAPL was running raw bench classes; are they doing the same

for
all 3?

Yes, but you don't notice it as much for the others. The only thing
obviously
missing in squats is the knee wraps, and there's no difference in

deadlift.

Less obvious, however, is the fact that raw wears only basic singlets,
which is OK with me, since I never got a death-grip power suit,
anyway.

I guess it wouldn't matter to me. Yeah, given the choice, I'd rather

lift
against raw, but I'm still pretty much outclassed except for the

regional
meets. Even then, in another year, their's a dude here in Virginia, Joe
Lineman, who is 39 this year, but I think pushing a well over 1100

total.

Well, given the major presence of AAU meets in Virginia (compared
to none in Ohio), AAU is your best bet. It's odd, though, that AAU
seems to only have major powerlifting events in Virginia, Massachusetts,
and Pennsylvania in the east, plus Oklahoma and Arkansas in the west.
I thought they would be more widespread.

Actually, in the west, the big meets are in Nevada and California.

At present, Barbara Beasley here in Richmond is the main meet director in
the east, and Martin Drake in the west.

They tend to flip-flop their largest national/"world" meets between the two.

I DO think you're going to see a major "consolidation", if you will, between
the AAU, USPF, NASA, and maybe some others. RDC is leading it for the most
part. From what I can see, USAPL wants nothing to do with it.

Hoff

Old August 29th 03, 01:15 PM
Hoff

"Keith Hobman" wrote in message
In article , "Hoff"
wrote:

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Yeah, well, I don't really consider his opinion unbiased on this particular
topic, either

Hoff

Old August 29th 03, 04:05 PM
Keith Hobman

In article [email protected], "Hoff"
wrote:

"Keith Hobman" wrote in message
In article , "Hoff"
wrote:

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Thats just being smart. "opinion" and "unbiased" don't really go together,
do they? And RDC is nothing if not opinionated.

Old August 30th 03, 12:36 AM
Keith Hobman

wrote:

"John M. Williams" wrote in message

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

It'll be problematic for the USPF and the USAPL to get together. I doubt
there would be a problem with some of the other orgs.
Old September 2nd 03, 06:29 AM
John Hanson

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:05:02 -0700, Will
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

Well, I continue to learn as I start to pursue powerlifting. Did a USPF
push-pull meet in Napa, CA today.

I think you did a helluva job. You had good numbers and you
competed...which is what counts.

snipped an excellent meet report