Running versus Walking

Old January 9th 04, 01:35 AM
Steve

Default Running versus Walking

From a "good for your heart" standpoint, plus tradeoffs between
knee/foot injuries, how does brisk walking for 30 mins+ compare to
runnning?

I really dislike running, but enjoy walking my dog in the park, and
often am out walking the dog for 1 hour or more

but ask me to run, and I am not fond of running

I am not trying to burn fat or anything, again, from a cardiovascular
benefits standpoint. My body weight is fine and my health is good.

comments?

Old January 9th 04, 09:07 AM
Ozzie Gontang

Default Running and/or Walking Was: Running versus Walking

In article , Steve
wrote:

From a "good for your heart" standpoint, plus tradeoffs between
knee/foot injuries, how does brisk walking for 30 mins+ compare to
runnning?

I really dislike running, but enjoy walking my dog in the park, and
often am out walking the dog for 1 hour or more

but ask me to run, and I am not fond of running

I am not trying to burn fat or anything, again, from a cardiovascular
benefits standpoint. My body weight is fine and my health is good.

comments?

There's a movement afoot that has people doing 10,000 steps a day.
Walk or run. As part of one's day or separate.

Thank your dog for walking you for an hour or more.

Check out www.berkleyheartlab.com to see why genotype is playing an
important piece of information regarding going beyond the exercise and
how some of us genetically have issues with LDL 3a, 3b, and 4a and it
doesn't matter how much exercise we do.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
Old January 9th 04, 11:40 AM
Doug Freese

Steve wrote:

From a "good for your heart" standpoint, plus tradeoffs between
knee/foot injuries, how does brisk walking for 30 mins+ compare to
runnning?

Probably smarter then running and equally healthy for weight control
and cardio.

I am not trying to burn fat or anything, again, from a cardiovascular
benefits standpoint. My body weight is fine and my health is good.

You'll probably be brisk walking past our funeral processions.

--
Doug Freese
"Caveat Lector"

Old January 9th 04, 02:28 PM
Scott Williams

Steve wrote:

From a "good for your heart" standpoint, plus tradeoffs between
knee/foot injuries, how does brisk walking for 30 mins+ compare to
runnning?

I really dislike running, but enjoy walking my dog in the park, and
often am out walking the dog for 1 hour or more

but ask me to run, and I am not fond of running

I am not trying to burn fat or anything, again, from a cardiovascular
benefits standpoint. My body weight is fine and my health is good.

comments?

The best exercise is the exercise you actaully do.

Scott

Old January 9th 04, 07:17 PM
ElvisIsDead

"Scott Williams" wrote in message
Snip

comments?

The best exercise is the exercise you actaully do.

Scott

That is the most profoundly simple truism I have heard in a long time.

Elvis

Old January 9th 04, 07:44 PM
Bill

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
From a "good for your heart" standpoint, plus tradeoffs between
knee/foot injuries, how does brisk walking for 30 mins+ compare to
runnning?

I really dislike running, but enjoy walking my dog in the park, and
often am out walking the dog for 1 hour or more

but ask me to run, and I am not fond of running

I am not trying to burn fat or anything, again, from a cardiovascular
benefits standpoint. My body weight is fine and my health is good.

comments?

It takes a while to develop fondness for running. It takes a while to
develop a nonpunishing running form. It takes some humility and a lot of
persistence. Take the attitude that you do not need to perform to any
standard.

To convince yourself, why not giving running a thorough try? Assume, at
first, that you cannot run at all. Do a series of 10-20 slow running steps
interspersed with walking. Do this at a very low level of effort. Do it
for a few seconds a number of times each walk. Over the weeks, notice if
the body adapts and gradually increase the number of steps, but never push
hard. If you are lucky, you might eventually find it fun. If you can,
walk-un on unpaved surfaces.