Tri in 2 weeks

Old June 10th 05, 03:30 PM
John

Default Tri in 2 weeks

I am trying to do my first Triathlon in two weeks. I haven't been training
and found out I just got off the waitlist.

I am trying to trian 2 hours a day with my HR 150-190 constant. Is this too
much. And what would you recommend to get in shape as fast as possible. I
am willing to do whatever it takes.

Thanks,
John

Old June 10th 05, 06:49 PM
3Hank

John, one thing to consider is that you want to get to start of the
race as well rested as possible. This is why many athletes will
decrease their training a week before the race with no heavy exercise
just a few days before the race.
The other thing is that since you haven't been training untill now you
risk injuries when you train to hard. My suggestion would be to focus
on your technique for swimming and running. In 2 weeks you can become a
lot better swimmer and runner if you focus on quality instead of
quantity. Perhaps you can run in the morning and swim later in the day
(try to spread out the exercise so you have time to recover) and try
not to go too hard but keep it at 60-70% of you maximum heart rate.
Also: eat healthy, drink lots of water and rest as much as possible
between exercises.

Good luck!

Old June 15th 05, 05:52 AM
Tamyka Bell

3Hank wrote:

John, one thing to consider is that you want to get to start of the
race as well rested as possible. This is why many athletes will
decrease their training a week before the race with no heavy exercise
just a few days before the race.
The other thing is that since you haven't been training untill now you
risk injuries when you train to hard. My suggestion would be to focus
on your technique for swimming and running. In 2 weeks you can become a
lot better swimmer and runner if you focus on quality instead of
quantity. Perhaps you can run in the morning and swim later in the day
(try to spread out the exercise so you have time to recover) and try
not to go too hard but keep it at 60-70% of you maximum heart rate.
Also: eat healthy, drink lots of water and rest as much as possible
between exercises.

Good luck!

3Hank has the idea: hate to break it to you, but physiological
adaptation to training takes about two weeks. Therefore rest, do quality
not quantity, and hope for a good day.

It can be done. I did a half marathon a few months ago without training.
Then I kept not training, and just racing each weekend, and commuting by
bike for fitness. Now I'm regularly getting age group podium finishes.

Tam
Old June 30th 05, 04:58 PM
John

Thanks for the support guys. The Tri went better than expected. I
basically focused on running long distances to just build up my mental more
than anything else. I did a 13 mile run the wednesday before the race. My
longest ever and ended up with a solid time for myself (3:22OLY). I am
using this experience to springboard me into more activities.

I'm planning on running a marathon in Nov and a half in Sept. Is this crazy
for someone that just started actively excersizing again in 9 years? I'm
27.

Old June 30th 05, 06:02 PM
3Hank

Congratulations on completing your 1st triathlon succesfully!
Unfortunatly there is no way back from here ;-) It seems you have
indeed caught the endurance bug which is great. With 4 months to
prepare for the marathon you have plenty of time. The half is September
is very well timed since you will be half way through your training.
There is plenty of reading material available that will provide you
with a proper schedule for training. Essentially you should gradually
increase your long runs (usually during the weekend) to up around 24M a
few weeks before the race. Do these long runs on surface that is
similar to the race (including hills). During the week do several
shorter runs on varied surface. Ideally you should try to spend time on
a track where it's easy to time yourself and work on your pacing.
Building endurance will get you to the finish, but when you train your
pacing you will get there faster. Don't forget to stretch (yoga) eat
and drink healthy and get plenty of rest and you will have a fantastic
experience. Good luck!

Old June 30th 05, 06:10 PM
John

Thanks Hank. I am definately hooked. I was planning on using Hal Higdon's
guide. http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00intermediate.htm

It doesn't have me running more than 20 miles though. Should I adjust this?

-John

oups.com...

Old July 1st 05, 04:43 PM
3Hank

Depends. 20M would probably be sufficient to prepare for the marathon,
but if you can comfortably stretch it 24M you will be even better
prepared. The key word being "comfortable" ;-)

Old July 6th 05, 02:49 PM
metallifried

Does anyone else have a problem with a 2m run the day before the race?
That seems kind of odd to me.

If I were intending to do triathlons, but wanted to run a marathon at
some point as well (which I plan to do next year), I would just stick
to my triathlon training schedule but increase the length of my long
run every week. If you're training to do a marathon and nothing else,
you can do that on three or four days a week (2-3 short runs, 1 long
run), maybe with another day of cross training. This schedule, which
has you running 5-6 days a week, would have me burnt out in less than a
month.

If you do follow it, I would highly recommend (a) getting a training
buddy and (b) using Monday for cross-training, rather than as another
run as he suggests you "could" do.

http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=14

Old July 6th 05, 04:04 PM
Harold Buck

In article . com,
"metallifried" wrote:

Does anyone else have a problem with a 2m run the day before the race?
That seems kind of odd to me.

I hardly think running two meters the day before a race is going to
affect you one way or the other. :-)

If I were intending to do triathlons, but wanted to run a marathon at
some point as well (which I plan to do next year), I would just stick
to my triathlon training schedule but increase the length of my long
run every week. If you're training to do a marathon and nothing else,
you can do that on three or four days a week (2-3 short runs, 1 long
run), maybe with another day of cross training. This schedule, which
has you running 5-6 days a week, would have me burnt out in less than a
month.

I agree with this completely. You don't need to run 6 days a week to do
a Marathon. Three days plus some cross-training is enough to finish,
although you might want to do 4-6 days if you have some serious time
goals.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.