Ironman Registration

Old July 1st 05, 04:18 AM
Harold Buck

Default Ironman Registration

When you register for the next year's race at the race site on the day
after the race (e.g., Ironman Wisconsin), can you sign up a friend, or
do they have to physically be there to sign up?

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Old July 1st 05, 03:01 PM
Mike Tennent

"IMKen" wrote:

Generally, they would have to register themselves.
Ken

Ken,

When IM Canada first went to that day after registration, you could
sign up someone else. I can't remember the details - I think you had
to have their money, registration form (faxed to you, no doubt), etc,
but I'm not sure.

I don't know if you can still do it though, so you may be right.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"

Old July 1st 05, 03:53 PM
Harold Buck

In article ,
Mike Tennent wrote:

"IMKen" wrote:

Generally, they would have to register themselves.
Ken

Ken,

When IM Canada first went to that day after registration, you could
sign up someone else. I can't remember the details - I think you had
to have their money, registration form (faxed to you, no doubt), etc,
but I'm not sure.

I don't know if you can still do it though, so you may be right.

I remember hearing here that someone had mentioned months before to a
friend that he should sign him up, and the guy did without further
confirmation, so he ended up committing to IM Canada without ever really
deciding to. That story is what made me ask.

I may drive to Madison this fall to guarantee myself a slot for 2006,
but I have some friends who may not be able to make the trip.

Old July 2nd 05, 07:57 PM
Mike C

Just took a peek at the IMW website and no mention of being able to
sign up for others; just that you can sign up "onsite and online"
beginning at 10am local time.

Might be worth dropping an email to someone at IMNA for the real
skinny....and good luck!!

Mike C

Old July 2nd 05, 08:47 PM
Harold Buck

In article .com,
"Mike C" wrote:

Just took a peek at the IMW website and no mention of being able to
sign up for others; just that you can sign up "onsite and online"
beginning at 10am local time.

Might be worth dropping an email to someone at IMNA for the real
skinny....and good luck!!

I did, and they said you can sign up one other person. What they didn't
say, and didn't satisfactorily respond to in a follow-up question, is
whether you must register yourself to sign up someone else. That is, if
I'm not signing up myself, can I sign up 0, 1, or 2 other people?
Hopefully it won't be an issue.

Also, does anyone know if you have to pay cash when you register on site?

Old July 3rd 05, 07:11 AM
User

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:47:13 -0500, Harold Buck
wrote:

In article .com,
"Mike C" wrote:

Just took a peek at the IMW website and no mention of being able to
sign up for others; just that you can sign up "onsite and online"
beginning at 10am local time.

Might be worth dropping an email to someone at IMNA for the real
skinny....and good luck!!

I did, and they said you can sign up one other person. What they didn't
say, and didn't satisfactorily respond to in a follow-up question, is
whether you must register yourself to sign up someone else. That is, if
I'm not signing up myself, can I sign up 0, 1, or 2 other people?
Hopefully it won't be an issue.

Also, does anyone know if you have to pay cash when you register on site?

Why should they care how many you sign up, as long as they all sign
the waiver, pay their USAT fees, and all that crap? They are making
money, aren't they? Aren't they now charging like $450 for entry to
ironman? That is 8 times the cost of shorter races.
Old July 3rd 05, 08:56 AM
IMKen

Yep, could be different with each event. I should have mentioned that i
have only done IMH and IMNZ and of course you don't just sign for IMH unless
you win your age group.

Guess I have to get active again to learn what might be current stuff. I
have not raced since IMNZ in 2004 as I passed on the last two IMH slots i
had in hand. I think I will give a go at IMH in 2007 when I age up.

what you been up to Mike?

Ken

Old July 5th 05, 02:22 PM
Mike Tennent

"IMKen" wrote:

what you been up to Mike?

Ken

IM #9 looms in October - my 6th Great Floridian. My goal of doing 10
IMs between age 50 and 60 seems attainable now, I'll be 57 in August.

Not sure what I'll do from 60 - 70. Ultras? LOL

A recent twist is getting into the NYC Marathon with my wife and her
two running friends. It's only two weeks after GFT. Ouch. I figured
one of them wouldn't get in and I'd "graciously" give them my number
so they could run together and I'd spectate. Now I'm trapped.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"

Old July 5th 05, 02:25 PM
Mike Tennent

User wrote:

Why should they care how many you sign up, as long as they all sign
the waiver, pay their USAT fees, and all that crap?

The issue is allowing folks NOT there physically to have an
opportunity to sign up.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"