How many calories do you eat a day and HOW?

Old July 2nd 05, 03:53 PM
Amie

Default How many calories do you eat a day and HOW?

I eat around 3K calories a day and am having trouble keeping up
sometimes. What foods does everyone eat that are somewhat high calorie
but nutrient dense and supportive to a traithlon training plan?

Thanks, Amie

Old July 4th 05, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Not sure about nutrient dense but I always find that doughnuts get me
to my calorie target (and beyond) pretty quickly!

(on a more serious note, similar to above poster I find it helps to
have lots of (preferably healthy) snacks throughout the day rather than
trying to cram in 3 huge meals which will leave you bloated. Personal
favourite is a bagel with peanut butter for a bit of protein)

Old July 5th 05, 05:34 AM
IMKen

It is an individual thing. some experimenting will give you a good idea of
what you require.

get an exact body weight. For one or two weeks measure your calorie intake
as accurately as possible. Be consistent with your intake each day. After
the week weigh yourself again and see if you have gained or lost weight. I
prefer low fat , complex carbs and a little protein. Something like 10%
calories from fat, 65% complex carbs and the remainder Protein. That works
well for me.

Ken

oups.com...

Old July 5th 05, 02:33 PM
Amie

Thanks all for your information. I had already done the research on the
ratios of macronutrients on the food that I eat (carb/protein/fat),
number of caloreis, and I eat six meals a day. I am a 5 ft 3 woman and
not used to eating food in amounts like this. Sometimes I feel I am
eating so much I feel almost nauseated.

I have always eaten a lot of fruits and vegetables, in fact they are my
favorite foods (more than 'junk foods', ok I guess I'm weird that way).
But I find it takes a lot of apples/oranges to make 3000 calories and
they tend to fill you up quickly. I meant what actual foods do you eat
- like I've found certain granola type cereals work well (not a lot of
bulk but decent nutrtion and calories), raisins and other dehydrated
fruits - was wondering what other foods work similarly well for people.

Thanks,
Amie

Old July 5th 05, 04:04 PM
metallifried

I try to eat as much pasta, rice, and wholewheat bread as I can. The
tough part is not getting sick of whatever it is you're eating when
you're eating 5 meals a day and trying to cut out the refined carbs.

Old July 5th 05, 05:46 PM
Amie

Exactly. I don't eat refined carbs either.

Old July 5th 05, 11:05 PM
IMKen

I am an Oatmeal freak. Cook up a batch with lots of walnuts, raisins, and
a banana or two tossed in. I might sometimes add a little milk but usually
just eat it out of the pot. Also like to cook up a big pot of Lentils
mixed with split pea, some chopped carrot and other vegies tossed in. A few
little red peppers to spice it up. I cook just long enough to soften up the
split peas but not long enough to make them turn into puree (sic) Great
stuff.

Ken

oups.com...

Old July 6th 05, 02:35 PM
Amie

Great ideas. I do eat oatmeal but have been eating it plain. That
sounds awesome, the way yyou described it. The lentils sound good too,
I will try things like these.

thanks,
Amie