Running in hot weather to improve cool weather performance

Old July 13th 04, 07:27 PM
Chris Jarshant

Default Running in hot weather to improve cool weather performance

Does it work like altitude training does? That is,
if I constantly run in warm weather (85F or higher),
will I get better cool-weather perfomance than if I
solely trained in the same cool weather that I race in?

Just curious. I live in Florida, USA, so if I
train during the summer, I am wondering if I should
expect better performance at the first fall cool-wather
than the last one.

cj
Old July 13th 04, 08:00 PM
gym gravity

Chris Jarshant wrote:
Does it work like altitude training does? That is,
if I constantly run in warm weather (85F or higher),
will I get better cool-weather perfomance than if I
solely trained in the same cool weather that I race in?

Just curious. I live in Florida, USA, so if I
train during the summer, I am wondering if I should
expect better performance at the first fall cool-wather
than the last one.

cj

maybe, maybe not. here comes some bull****:

If the analogy to altitude training holds, training in the heat would
aclimate you to performing in the heat, but the training that you would
be doing would be less effective (you couldn't train as hard when you
needed too), and I think the benefits would be specific to running in
heat. Altitude training comes in many forms. One of which isn't
training at all, but sleeping. Athletes have been "living high and
training low" so they can get the intensity in their workouts while
stimulating altitude aclimation by sleeping at altitude or in an
altitude simulator.

I guess that the adaptations your body makes in heat has to do with the
way your cardiovascular system shunts blood to the skin, and how
efficient your sweat is (salt content) and that these adaptations aren't
going to be of much help at lower temps. Unlike the situation with
altitude tents where the adaptation (more effecient oxygen transport) is
more general to aerobic performance.

So my guess is that you would likely have the best run in months if the
temp were to drop to 50F one morning, but it still would be slower than
if you had been training all along at 50F.
Old July 13th 04, 10:04 PM
Phil M.

One dark day on Usenet, Chris Jarshant
said :

Does it work like altitude training does? That is,
if I constantly run in warm weather (85F or higher),
will I get better cool-weather perfomance than if I
solely trained in the same cool weather that I race in?

Just curious. I live in Florida, USA, so if I
train during the summer, I am wondering if I should
expect better performance at the first fall cool-wather
than the last one.

I agree with what gym gravity said. Heat acclimatization is only
beneficial for running in the heat. So if you will be training and racing
in the same temps, it would be a benefit. Otherwise, I believe it will
hinder your performance since you can't train at the speeds necessary to
fully develop your potential for running/racing in a cooler temperature.
Especially if the racing temperature will be below 70F. OTOH, if you are
training in the heat and race day is in the 70s or above, everyone's pace
will be slowed, except your pace may be slowed to a lesser degree than
those that have been training in temps under 70F. I live in Georgia. Much
of my running is done while temps are in the upper 80s to low 90s. I'm
training for a fall marathon that will likely be in the 50s for much of
the race. A lot of my endurance training and tempo runs will be done
during the hottest months of the year. Ideally I think a marathon between
December and July would keep the bulk of my training out of the hot zone.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
Old July 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Dan Stumpus

I was just re-reading Marty Liquori's Guide for the Elite Runner. He was
ranked in the top 3 in the 5k 20 years ago, and was a top miler.

He trained in Florida one hot summer, and almost didn't go to Europe to
race, because his workouts were so slow (very hard, but slow on account of
the heat).

He decided to go anyway, and ran great once he got to cooler weather.

So to answer your question, he certainly didn't lose anything by training in
the heat/humidity, and may just possibly have gained something. The nice
thing is that you'll be able to run faster and easier when you get cool
weather, a good psychological boost.

-- Dan

Old July 14th 04, 01:49 AM
joe positive

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:27:04 GMT, Chris Jarshant
wrote:

Does it work like altitude training does? That is,
if I constantly run in warm weather (85F or higher),
will I get better cool-weather perfomance than if I
solely trained in the same cool weather that I race in?

An answer from one Florida runner, based solely on anecdotal evidence:
yes, sort of. My cool-weather race times have been beyond the wildest
expectations of my hot-weather training times. I don't know whether
training in cool weather would have produced the same results. But I
can almost guarantee you that your first chilly race will feel like a
gift from God.

Karen

Old July 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Sam

The one possible advantage is that training in the heat causes an expansion
of plasma volume which is a good thing.

I cannot remember seeing any evidence that there is an advantage or a
disadvantage. If it were to be really cold then one might have a problem
mentally (and some physical problems since running in the cold can impair
performance).

nk.net...

Old July 14th 04, 02:24 AM
Chris Jarshant

joe positive wrote in
:

An answer from one Florida runner, based solely on anecdotal evidence:
yes, sort of. My cool-weather race times have been beyond the wildest
expectations of my hot-weather training times. I don't know whether
training in cool weather would have produced the same results. But I
can almost guarantee you that your first chilly race will feel like a
gift from God.

This has been my anecdotal experience which is why I originally
posted the question. I have often times postponed my training
runs until the late evening, sometimes after a heavy rain, when
the temps drop to the mid to low 70's. During the run, I feel
refreshed the whole time and feel like I could run forever (I
often extend the run a mile or two just cause I feel like I
can) and/or pick up the pace. This after consistently
running earlier in the evening when temps are still in the
mid 80's has made me think the cool weather gives me an energy boost.

So I figure if I train hard for a month or so before a big,
early-morning race, I'd get better performance than if I
trained early in the morning for that same month.

cj
Old July 14th 04, 01:22 PM
Sam

[...]

As long as you can train at the proper intensity this is not bad. However,
I also think that if the race is early in the morning one needs to train
then as well to learn how to deal with things like when and what to eat.