advice on doctors advice wanted

Old July 14th 04, 05:46 PM
martin

Default advice on doctors advice wanted

I have a couple of questions based on advice from my doctor about taking up
exercise.
I asked about running as the guy in question claims he used to run half
marathons (which in my mind means he must have some knowledge of running
roperly and safely). When i asked about decent footwear (commenting that i
dont own any, that is), he said that its not that big a deal - ie 'no pain
no gain'. he seemed to believe that one would get used to running with less
than proper shoes as they muscles would adapt. This seems to fly in the face
of everything ive read on the subject.
Furthermore i was told that 30 minutes a day doing something strenuous to
leave you breathless is the baseline for getting into shape. Now i maybe
picky here but does that mean doing something that leaves you breathless
after 30 mins, or doing something while breathless for 30 mins. Certainly
when i do the former, not managing the latter, which i do causally when im
out and about (say carrying heavy books to and from the library or going for
a walk or something) this doesn't seem to be getting me fitter.
What to do?
Thanks

---

Old July 15th 04, 10:59 PM
Joe User

"martin" wrote:
I have a couple of questions based on advice from my
doctor about taking up exercise.

My first comment is: do not rely on this doctor for any
further advice about exercise. He sounds very much out
of touch.

I asked about running [...].
When i asked about decent footwear [...], (
he said that its not that big a deal - ie 'no pain
no gain'. he seemed to believe that one would get
used to running with less than proper shoes as they
muscles would adapt.

Although I do not agree at all with the "no pain, no gain"
mentality, to some degree he has a valid point.

In my opinion, much of the "shoe technology" trend has been
a lot of hype. I believe he is certainly correct that in a
young, reasonably fit individual, the muscles do adapt.

However, that is not the complete story. "Most" of us do
not remain young forever ;-). While it is true that the
muscles adapt, it is equally true that the muscles and
skeletal system deteriorate with age. As we get older, we
need more support in a shoe.

Running is particularly punishing on the ever-aging human
body.

So while I deprecate the "shoe techonology" hype, I must
also say that there is a (little) something to it. And the
fact is, I think it is no longer possible to find a (running)
shoe that provides sufficient support without getting into
a "shoe system" that does a whole lot more (uselessly).
At least, that has been my (limited) experience.

Furthermore i was told that 30 minutes a day doing
something strenuous to leave you breathless is the
baseline for getting into shape.

That is so old-school, it is hardly worth commenting on.
But again, it is not 100% wrong.

First, it depends on what you mean by "get into shape".
Second, as you ask later, it depends on what you mean
by "breathless" and "leave you breathless".

does that mean doing something that leaves you breathless
after 30 mins, or doing something while breathless for 30 mins.

Neither. It is unlikely that you could exercise "breathlessly"
for 30 min. That sounds to me like exercising beyond the
lactate threshold -- over 85% MHR for most of us and as high
as 95% for some Olympic-quality athletes. Most people cannot
sustain that for more than several minutes. (Lance Armstrongs's
FAQ claims that his HR is about 95% MHR during time-trials,
some of which last 12-15 min.)

Moreover, there is no specific benefit to ending an exercise
session "breathless". That simply means that you went all-out
during last few minutes. So what?

However, it is true (according to most experts today) that
doing "interval training" greatly enhances both athletic
performance and general cardio fitness. "Interval training"
means that you interleave periods of very-high intensity
(perhaps "breathlessness") and moderate- to moderately-high
intensity, depending on goals and current fitness level.

Here, I taking the term "breathless" somewhat literally:
gasping for air. Of course, the doctor might have meant
merely breathing very very hard, too hard to carry on
conversation without taking a breath every few words.

That is something else altogher. Depending on goals,
it can be good to exercise at that intensity for 30 min
or more, combined with "interval training" at least during
some exercise sessions.

All exercise advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
Unless the advice has been personalized for you, no general
advice can apply to everyone. The right exercise approach
for you highly depends on your goals and your current
fitness level.
Old July 16th 04, 09:43 PM
martin

ok thanks. I personally think that some form of sensible fottowear - not
necessarily Nike Billion dollar brand - is necessary. I also think that
running advice should give some clue on how to approach it that isn't just
'no pain no gain' which always struck me as a negative philosophy anyway. i
dont mind hard work but i do mind injuring myself.

"Joe User" wrote in message
om...

Old July 20th 04, 07:34 PM
Justin

You want to protect your arches in your feet. So get a pair of shoes that
protect the arches. That'll save you a lot of foot pain and possible
injury. If you're really out of shape, maybe try an exercise bike at
first, instead of jogging. Lot less impact on the joints and muscles. An
exercise bike provides fluid, gentle movement and can also be used to burn
fat and for cardio health.