Beginner advice wanted

Old April 14th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
yk

Default Beginner advice wanted

I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I started
to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the distance. I
get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will it take for an
typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably swim for 400 yards
non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest distance triathlon. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Old April 14th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan

"yk" wrote in message
I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I started
to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the distance. I
get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will it take for an
typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably swim for 400 yards
non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest distance triathlon. Any advice
would be appreciated.

If you're not already a member, the best thing is to join a Masters swimming
club and train with them. You'll get coaching, advice, fellowship and more
fun than trying to slog on on your own. You also get a little gentle peer
pressure which keeps you at it!
I would have thought that by this stage (3 months) you should be able to
handle 50 yards without distress. Maybe you're going at it too hard, or just
not breathing enough. Just to be cautious it might be worthwhile getting
your doctor to check your cardio-vascular function & lung function. If
that's OK it is mostly a matter of the right training, and perseverance.
Don't go at it too hard. If you're training for triathlon, your lower body
should be fairly fit already, but if you haven't done much swimming in your
life, the 'swimming muscles' (and joints) do take quite a while to develop
at age 50 - but it is never too late and it will happen eventually. But it
takes effort, so don't think you're doing enough with 1 session a week.
Also, developing the right technique is critical, so get some coaching. Aim
to increase your distance to start with, and leave the speed work for later.
And never give up!
Welcome to the wonderful world of swimming!
--
Duncan Heenan
(Speaking personally)

Old April 14th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
"yk" wrote in message
I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I
started to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the
distance. I get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will
it take for an typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably
swim for 400 yards non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest
distance triathlon. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you're not already a member, the best thing is to join a Masters
swimming club and train with them. You'll get coaching, advice,
fellowship and more fun than trying to slog on on your own. You also
get a little gentle peer pressure which keeps you at it!

I respectfully disagree. I'd take lessons, either privately or in a
class, first, and then join the Masters program.

-S-

Old April 14th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_6_]

"yk" I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I
started
to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the distance.
I get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will it take for an
typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably swim for 400 yards
non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest distance triathlon. Any
advice would be appreciated.

I'm not a coach. Therefore, my first inclination would be to ask who taught
you to swim? Chances are, you're doing some things wrong. My first decision
would be to go to a library and get a book on swimming---one with lots of
photos. Examine it and see if what you are doing in the pool resembles the
pictures in the book.

The beginner mistakes I see most often a not kicking the legs or kicking
them as if you are doing the military low crawl under a barbed-wire obstacle
course; keeping your head totally out of the water to breathe; not using
goggles properly; putting your head somewhat in the water to swim but
rearing up out of the water like a whale to catch a quick breathe and then
down back into the water you go; swinging your arms horizontally across the
top of the water; or, thrashing your arms as fast as you can in an effort to
get to the other end of the pool quickly.

Also, you haven't said if you can do other sports. I think this is germane
because if you have "trained" lungs from, say, running, then swimming will
be a little easier for you to learn. Do you breathe from the diaphragm or
are you heaving your shoulders up and down with each stroke?

All of these small things, done wrong, can tire a person out quickly.

Pat in TX

Old April 15th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
yk

"yk" wrote in message
I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I
started to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the
distance. I get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will it
take for an typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably swim for
400 yards non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest distance triathlon.
Any advice would be appreciated.

If you're not already a member, the best thing is to join a Masters
swimming club and train with them. You'll get coaching, advice, fellowship
and more fun than trying to slog on on your own. You also get a little
gentle peer pressure which keeps you at it!

I don't think I am ready for that.

I would have thought that by this stage (3 months) you should be able to
handle 50 yards without distress. Maybe you're going at it too hard, or
just not breathing enough. Just to be cautious it might be worthwhile
getting your doctor to check your cardio-vascular function & lung
function. If that's OK it is mostly a matter of the right training, and
perseverance.

Breathing is still challenge to me. I can breathe only from one side and I
feel I need
to breathe at every stroke. By the way, I've just my heart tested, and the
doctor
thinks my heart is in good shape.

Don't go at it too hard. If you're training for triathlon, your lower body
should be fairly fit already, but if you haven't done much swimming in
your life, the 'swimming muscles' (and joints) do take quite a while to
develop at age 50 - but it is never too late and it will happen
eventually. But it takes effort, so don't think you're doing enough with 1
session a week.

OK.

Also, developing the right technique is critical, so get some coaching.
Aim to increase your distance to start with, and leave the speed work for
later. And never give up!
Welcome to the wonderful world of swimming!

Thanks.

Old April 15th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
yk

"Pat" wrote in message

"yk" I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I
started
to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the distance.
I get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will it take for an
typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably swim for 400 yards
non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest distance triathlon. Any
advice would be appreciated.

I'm not a coach. Therefore, my first inclination would be to ask who
taught you to swim? Chances are, you're doing some things wrong. My first
decision would be to go to a library and get a book on swimming---one with
lots of photos. Examine it and see if what you are doing in the pool
resembles the pictures in the book.

I took few lessons at local park and recreation taught by a high school kid.
I also puchased few books.

The beginner mistakes I see most often a not kicking the legs or
kicking them as if you are doing the military low crawl under a
barbed-wire obstacle course; keeping your head totally out of the water to
breathe; not using goggles properly; putting your head somewhat in the
water to swim but rearing up out of the water like a whale to catch a
quick breathe and then down back into the water you go; swinging your arms
horizontally across the top of the water; or, thrashing your arms as fast
as you can in an effort to get to the other end of the pool quickly.

Yea, I can relate to some.
None of books I read talks much about kick.

Also, you haven't said if you can do other sports. I think this is germane
because if you have "trained" lungs from, say, running, then swimming will
be a little easier for you to learn. Do you breathe from the diaphragm or
are you heaving your shoulders up and down with each stroke?

I ran few marathon and century rides, althogh very slow. I think I am in
reasonable shape.
But, swimming is totally new to me. I still can't breathe comfortably.

Old April 16th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"yk" wrote in message

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

So take some lessons - a class isn't always sufficient.

-S-

Old April 16th 08, 02:57 PM
nycycle nycycle is offline
Junior Member

I am POSITIVE that your kick is wrong, which is why you have been unable to increase your distance. nothing is more tiresome than "pulling your body through the water when you're not planed on the top of the water.

USE A KICKBOARD at the beginning of every swim. You should kick evenly with very little leg bend, feet coming out of the water about 10% on each kick- YOUR LEGS SHOULD HURT LIKE CRAZY!!!

im so serious about this. It seems like a waste of time but if you can get your kick up you'll be planed on the top of the water and your new awesome kick will bring you to new levels!
Old April 18th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Madelaine

yk wrote:
I am 50 year old male who hadn't learned to swim until recently. I
started to practice swimming since Jan, but struggling to increase the
distance. I get out of breath after swimming 50 yard. How long will it
take for an typical non-swimming adult before he can comfortably swim
for 400 yards non-stop ? My goal is to finish a shortest distance
triathlon. Any advice would be appreciated.

You need to practice breathing--a lot. Look at other people swimming
well at the pool It is natural to be very tense about the breathing at
first. Even though I was a (lousy) competitive swimmer in middle
school, I'm still afraid of the water after I haven't been in for a
while--but it quickly fades. Even though I'm in my 40s, my early
childhood near-drowning is still with me.

Also, the biggest thing you need to remember is to blow bubbles
underwater, don't hold your breath. If you hold your breath, when you
come up to breathe, you have to breathe out AND in. This takes too much
time. Just working on the breathing will probably be enough to get you
so you can swim a 50 in less time than you think.

You might also want to practice some yoga breathing on dry land.
Madelaine

Need beginner advice stasther Weights 22 May 23rd 05 06:37 AM
advice on doctors advice wanted martin General 3 July 20th 04 06:34 PM
Advice a beginner Raul Swimming 4 January 22nd 04 08:02 PM
beginner in need of advice Hakan Alparslan Running 15 November 24th 03 02:12 PM
Beginner Routine Wanted crazy_nelly Weights 4 September 24th 03 01:43 AM