Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - estimates for how long??

Old February 14th 04, 03:06 PM
Dominic Sexton

Default Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - estimates for how long??

In article , Paul Rooney
writes
It's light enough to walk without a torch for nearly 11
hours.

Wuss, what about the other 13? ;-)

Seriously though for most terrain in most conditions there is enough
light to walk without a torch. It does take a bit of getting used to and
a bit of care. I prefer not to use a torch at all when walking at night
if I can avoid it.

If you do need to use a torch for a tricky bit keep one eye shut so you
don't loose your night vision in both otherwise you will need the torch
to continue...

Seeing holes in peat is a bit tricky as is spotting black ice but much
of the time its not too hard.

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
Old February 14th 04, 06:10 PM
sandy saunders

"Frank Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for that Sandy - I had come across your site eariler in the
week - great pictures

Not a problem ... just enjoy the walk in safety.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still brings
the same excitement'

Old February 17th 04, 12:07 PM
RJ Webb

But on sea you don't encounter ravines, gills, streams you can't wade
through when in spate, rockwalls you can't climb, icy patches (normally),
snowfields etc. They can make you go the way your navigationskills say not
to go.

Hills are not tidal, and you usually have a landmark or two. I imagine
whiteouts are rare on the rocky Scafells.

Richard Webb
Old February 24th 04, 02:53 PM
Frank Weaver

Well - we did it!

Following the advice we had from this message board we did the Esk
Hause route up & down. It took us 2hrs 55mins going up (with a couple
of breaks), had lunch at the top & took 2hrs 40mins down (again with a
couple of breaks). The boys (& dog) managed fine.

We were lucky with the weather all week & although there was some snow
& ice higher up it didn't really give too many problems.

It was a fantastic climb with some great views and we'll definitely do
it again - probably via a different route

Thanks for everyone's help
Old February 24th 04, 04:50 PM
Michael Farthing

In message , Frank
Weaver writes
Well - we did it!

Following the advice we had from this message board we did the Esk
Hause route up & down. It took us 2hrs 55mins going up (with a couple
of breaks), had lunch at the top & took 2hrs 40mins down (again with a
couple of breaks). The boys (& dog) managed fine.

We were lucky with the weather all week & although there was some snow
& ice higher up it didn't really give too many problems.

It was a fantastic climb with some great views and we'll definitely do
it again - probably via a different route

Thanks for everyone's help

Glad it went well for you.

--
Michael Farthing
cyclades
Old February 24th 04, 10:13 PM
theo

"Frank Weaver" schreef in bericht
om...
Well - we did it!

Following the advice we had from this message board we did the Esk
Hause route up & down. It took us 2hrs 55mins going up (with a couple
of breaks), had lunch at the top & took 2hrs 40mins down (again with a
couple of breaks). The boys (& dog) managed fine.

We were lucky with the weather all week & although there was some snow
& ice higher up it didn't really give too many problems.

It was a fantastic climb with some great views and we'll definitely do
it again - probably via a different route

Thanks for everyone's help

and thanks for sharing your experience with us. Lots of people don't even
bother to tell what they did with the advice.

Theo