TR: October Day 5

Old October 5th 03, 06:41 PM
Paul Saunders

Default TR: October Day 5

Pic of the day is online now;
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october05.html

Comments?

Trip report later.

Paul
--
The October Project 2003
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october.html
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old October 5th 03, 06:56 PM
Paul Saunders

Ian Dainty wrote:

That is one great photo.

Thanks.

It looks quite Arctic.

Mmm...

Is it Worms Head?

Got it in one. Trust you to recognise it!

Very other-worldly.

Yes it is, isn't it?

What Doctoring have you done?

That's for you to guess.

Paul

Old October 5th 03, 07:00 PM
Ian Dainty

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message

Pic of the day is online now;
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october05.html

Comments?

Trip report later.

Paul

That is one great photo. It looks quite Arctic. Is it Worms Head?
Very other-worldly. What Doctoring have you done?

Ian.

Old October 5th 03, 08:46 PM
Paul Saunders

Default October Day 5

Chris Street arrived around 7am and we set off for the Gower, pausing
briefly on Cefn Bryn to take a couple of photos of Oxwich Head. The
light was incredibly clear, the North Devon coast was clearly visible,
as was Lundy Island, the Pembrokeshire coastline as far as St Govans
Head, and even a lot of the Cornish coast. I've rarely ever seen light
so clear. Not a cloud in they sky, except for a low bank in the west.

Making our way quickly on to Rhossili, we checked the causeway times and
set off for Worms Head, stopping enroute at various photo viewpoints.
As we approached the westerly clouds gradually drifted our way. The
rocky causeway stank with the smell of a million mussels and the tide
appeared higher than I expected for the time. I'd estimated that the
causeway would close at 11:15am, but the information at Rhossili said
11:55am.

Once on the Worm I heard strange noises and we soon located the source
as being a family of seals basking and swimming nearby, perhaps eight or
so. Creeping into some nearby viewing positions, we spent some time
watching and photographing the seals. Unfortunately the sunlight had
gone by this time.

After the lengthy distraction, we were about to head off to the end of
the Worm, but looking back at the causeway the tide seemed suspiciously
high. We had a choice between trusting the posted times and possibly
getting cut off, or playing it safe and returning immediately. We
sensibly chose the latter.

On the other side of the causeway we hung around for a while, taking
photos as the sunlight gradually returned and the clouds developed in
interesting ways. The causeway eventually became cutoff at
approximately 11:30am, closer to my original estimate and 25 minutes
before the posted time! Just as well we chose not to take the risk or
we'd have been stuck out there for 7.5 hours.

We then strolled around the coast to Tears Point, stopping first to let
Chris take some macro photographs of some worm like fossils in the area.
Then around the headland there was a fine view of Fall Bay with the long
line of cliffs stretching away, topped by interesting clouds. I took a
few panoramics while Chris concentrated on butterflies and flowers.

The final uphill was a struggle with all the weight of camera gear we
were carrying (not to mention Chris's Manfrotto tripod), but once we
overcame that obstacle it was an easy stroll back to Rhossili. We were
both pretty hungry by this time and ended up going to the Gower Inn for
a rather nice meal of chicken breast topped with bacon, cheese and
barbecue sauce.

It was a pity that we never made it to the end of Worms Head, but we
grabbed plenty of good photographs in the excellent light, and had the
unexpected bonus of the seals to entertain us.

Distance: 5.8km - Ascent: 90m - Effort Rating: 6.7
Duration: 4 hours 49 minutes

Paul

Old October 5th 03, 10:21 PM
Paul Saunders

Chris Street wrote:

The colour rendition on my monitor seems quite quite different to the
one on your screen Paul.

Really?

Much more purple in the water and greener
******* It would be interesting some point to compare colour balances
I feel - sadly short of lugging by PC and monitor down there I cannot
think of a way,

Well I've calibrated my monitor using Adobe Gamma, but I discarded the
colour profile when I processed that pic, the reason being that if I use
the Adobe RGB profile the pic comes out way too dark for web use.
Unfortunately I haven't yet figured out a way of converting Adobe RGB
for web use. Everything I've tried has come out looking different to
the way it looks in Photoshop.

Right now it looks a little bit lighter, so I tend to process it
slightly dark. Colours aren't too different though (but my colours are
different between my two computers - different graphics cards - same
monitor). I've used Adobe RGB on both but on my old computer it only
affects the printed output, not the screen display.

and a 23" is not lightweight.....

I thought you bought a 21".

Paul

Old October 5th 03, 10:37 PM
Paul Saunders

Paul Saunders wrote:

Colours aren't too different though

Actually that's wrong. I've just done a side by side comparison and my
web view on my old monitor is lighter, much greener and with very little
purple compared to the image in Photoshop on my XP computer (with the
better graphics card).

I've noticed that my main computer looks a bit magenta compared to my
older one, which is disconcerting, but the more magenta the screen looks
the less magenta it prints, so that's actually a good thing (considering
that my prints were always too magenta at first).

I notice the difference between the two computers when switching between
them, particularly if I look at the same picture, but after looking at
either computer for a while my brain adjusts. The web version looked
fine until I checked the original, which looks too purple in comparison,
but after looking at the purple pic for a while the web version now
looks much greener.

What I do know is that I have a completely profile controlled colour
workflow (well I did, I have to reset everything now) and my prints have
the same colour as my monitor, so I guess the best way to do a proper
comparison would be to make a print, verify that the colours are the
same as my monitor, then send it to you as a reference.

Paul

Old October 6th 03, 11:25 AM
Paul Saunders

Paul Saunders wrote:

Very other-worldly.

Yes it is, isn't it?

What Doctoring have you done?

That's for you to guess.

Come on you lot, can't anyone figure it out?

Paul

Old October 6th 03, 11:28 AM
Paul Saunders

Chris Street wrote:

Don't worry. Assuming we have both set up ADobe gamma correctly then
our monitors will look identical and the workflow should be fine.

Yeah. Fine tuning the green is difficult though.

However an easier option springs to mind - I've got severl prints of
yours. Bung us a small Jpeg of them with the Adobe 1998 profile or
whaterver you use as your working space and I'll have a look at that.

Okay, but I may have changed them slightly when my main computer broke
down and I had to print them with my other computer. I'll have to
check.

Simplest would be to convert to Adobe RGB for the Worm shot and send you
that. Even without a print you'll get the same that we were looking at
on my computer yesterday.

Paul

Old October 6th 03, 11:33 AM
Paul Saunders

Chris Street wrote:

If we displayed the same picture in Photoshop side by side (assuming
it had a profile) then they should look identical. I was surpriesed
at how different they were without a profile to guide them.

Yes, so was I when I made a side by side comparison last night, even
with the same monitor. The main difference is due to my two different
graphics cards, but also the Adobe Gamma correction (one card alters the
monitor display, the other card doesn't).

With different monitors there'd be even more difference.

Browsers don't use any kind of profile do they? Should I leave it as
sRGB for browser stuff? (It would still look different in Photoshop
though, since Photoshop seems to display for printing, not for web
viewing.

Paul

Old October 6th 03, 01:50 PM
Brian

"Ian Dainty" wrote in
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org:

That is one great photo. It looks quite Arctic. Is it Worms Head?
Very other-worldly. What Doctoring have you done?

Ian.

Doctoring! Thats the word to describe it! Looks like a strange planet
Doctor Who would visit.

--
Brian