GPS Advice

Old November 10th 03, 03:56 PM
Mike Clark

Default GPS Advice

In article , Jim Hutton
wrote:
[snip]
The battery drain on the Vista is high compared with the Summit. Use 2200mh
rechargeables if possible and carry spares. The smaller AAA cells on the
Gecko range have been known to give problems.

I get 8 - 10 hours of continuous use on 1800maH NiMH rechargeables.

Regarding the battery life of AAAs used in Geko models. Some of us have
reported problems, particularly with the Geko 201. It seems that battery
life of NiMh cells is very short if you set the Unit to believe you are
using NiMh cells! However if you leave it set to Alkaline then NiMh
cells give a couple of hours of extra use!

I've emailed a bug report to Garmin about this but so far there hasn't
been any confirmation or fix announced.

The Geko 301 I have doesn't seem to exhibit the same problem and works
fine on the NiMh setting.

Mike URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

Old November 10th 03, 04:27 PM
Jiffy

"Mike Clark" wrote in message
In article , Jiffy
wrote:
"Mark Cavendish" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:53:09 GMT, "Jiffy" wrote:

snip
Err, we're still in the test phase. Note this from
http://gpsinformation.net/waasgps.html
"Europe's EGNOS system (compatible with WAAS but for operation in

Europe) is
in the test phase now and is transmitting a "do not use" flag. Magellan

GPS
receivers ignore this flag and use the signal anyway (for what it is

worth),
but Garmin receivers honor the flag's intent and will not use the EGNOS

data
as long as the "do not use" flag is set."

The April 2004 date for official launch is widely stated. For example:
http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/egnos.php

So be careful with the current Egnos signals otherwise you could be

Waasting
your time!

Cheers, Jiffy

Your wrong. The latest software updates for Garmin do allow the EGNOS
signals to be used

I'm not wrong. The website quoted is wrong!

Cheers, Jiffy

Old November 10th 03, 04:45 PM
Mike Clark

In article , Jiffy
wrote:
"Mike Clark" wrote in message
In article , Jiffy
wrote:
[...]

From URL:http://www.garmin.com/support/

For the Geko 201

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

* Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select the
satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the unit's current
position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's
current position is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service
volume.

If you turn on WAAS on a Geko 201/301 you will see that it sometimes
uses the EGNOS information, and sometimes it does not, depending upon
your position within Europe, and the availability of the test signals
currently being transmitted.

The satellite display in Advanced mode shows for which satellites it is
calculating Differential information, by showing a D symbol on the
strength of signal bar.

Old November 10th 03, 04:55 PM
Dominic Sexton

In article , Jiffy
writes
"Mike Clark" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Jiffy
wrote:
[...]

And in fact the SBAS (WAAS, EGNOS etc.) capable Garmin receivers started
accepting the ESTB signals as soon as the "do not use" flag was turned
off. It did not require a firmware update.

Joe's page is not really wrong because it states that the SBAS capable
Garmins will not use the ESTB signal "while the 'do not use' flag is
set". However it also says the flag is currently set when it has been
off since April...

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
Old November 10th 03, 08:24 PM
Nick Hopton

In a recent message , Mike
Clark wrote.

[...]
If you turn on WAAS on a Geko 201/301 you will see that it sometimes
uses the EGNOS information, and sometimes it does not, depending upon
your position within Europe, and the availability of the test signals
currently being transmitted.

I've not managed to get anything from the EGNOS test bed for the last
couple of weeks. This is using a Geko 301. Are other Garmin users
finding the same thing? (Unspoken question; or is it just me?)

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
Caversham, Reading, England

Old November 10th 03, 08:52 PM
Mike Clark

In article , Nick Hopton
wrote:
In a recent message , Mike
Clark wrote.

[...]
If you turn on WAAS on a Geko 201/301 you will see that it sometimes
uses the EGNOS information, and sometimes it does not, depending upon
your position within Europe, and the availability of the test signals
currently being transmitted.

I've not managed to get anything from the EGNOS test bed for the last
couple of weeks. This is using a Geko 301. Are other Garmin users
finding the same thing? (Unspoken question; or is it just me?)

It was working for me using a Geko 301 yesterday 9/11/2003 in
Cambridgeshire.

Old November 10th 03, 10:44 PM
Nick Hopton

In a recent message , Mike
Clark wrote.

I've not managed to get anything from the EGNOS test bed for the last
couple of weeks. This is using a Geko 301. Are other Garmin users
finding the same thing? (Unspoken question; or is it just me?)

It was working for me using a Geko 301 yesterday 9/11/2003 in
Cambridgeshire.

Apparently, EGNOS has been working recently in 'mode 2 (fast corrections
and ionosphere corrections without Ranging) with contents of a type 2
message in each type 0 message'. I'm not sure I understand what this
means g but I'd taken it to indicate that the signal couldn't be used
in any meaningful way by the Geko. But if you were getting DIFF=3m or
something similar in East Anglia yesterday, them my Geko is definitely
on the blink.

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
Caversham, Reading, England

Old November 11th 03, 11:06 AM
Paul Saunders

Mark Cavendish wrote:

I'm not having a go at O/S (!) or complaining but occasionally I get
paths, tracks, woods, fields and even streams that are displaced
despite them obviously existing for decades (if not centuries). Using
1:25k which gives more detail - I'd probably find 1:50k alright as the
main landmarks, roads, rivers are spot on! Ironically, its the
accuracy of my STP that highlights the errors - using map and compass
I'd be much more unlikely to notice

The main landmarks are not spot on with 50k mapping though. Summit
heights in particular are often in slightly the wrong spot, whereas the
25k summits are usually pretty close. I have two tracks through the
same forest which don't match the 50k map. After the first walk I
assumed the GPS to be in error due to the trees, but the track from the
second walk matched perfectly. When I checked the 25k map it turned out
that the forestry track was a different shape to the 50k map, and guess
what, it matched the GPS tracks perfectly.

The 50k mapping isn't that accurate. It's pretty close and may seem to
be accurate if you don't look too closely, but over the years I've found
many instances where my GPS tracks don't match the 50k map features
perfectly, but do match the 25k. Roads, paths, ROWs are often
simplified for clarity, with tiny twists and turns being smoothed out.

Paul
--
The October Project 2003
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october.html