Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - estimates for how long??

Old February 13th 04, 05:20 PM
sandy saunders

Default Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - estimates for how long??

We're going up to the Lakes next week and intend to do Scafell Pike
for the first time. My wife is ill at the moment so I'll just be
doing it with my 13 & 11 year old boys (+ dog).

Dont forget to get the weather from the National Park Weatherline on 017687
75757. Updated for the following day after 5:00pm. Good forecast for the
Fells with such things as wind speed, temp, cloud cover and wind-chill
factor for 3000ft (Scafell Pike region). Also, take a look at the weather
forecast at www.wasdaleweb.co.uk, again a good indication of conditions.
Included is a 72 hour forecast.

I'd like some estimates for times please - I don't want to push too
hard but want to ensure we get up & down in reasonable time

From what I've read the preferred route from Seathwaite is Taylorgill
Force - Sty Head - Corridor Route - Lingmell col - Scafell Pike.

This is the route Clare and I do as it is generally quieter than via Esk
Huase, however, it isn't an easy route for the unfamiliar. The path is
mostly over rocks which can be difficlut to see in baad weather. There is
one rocky step to go down just before Piers Gill, onto a ledge, which
requires care. Will be worse if ice on the rocks. Also, easy to miss the
path up the final section of Scafell Pike from Lingmell Col if the
visibility is poor. Path is not very clear on the ground.

Returning via Esk Hause and Grains Gill to Stockley Bridge.

This would be the route I would use, up and down, for the first time if
unsure at this time of year. Although, again, in poor visibilty it requires
care from Calf Cove around Broad Crag to the col above Little Narrowcove

many thanks for your speedy replies!!

If you want to get a feel for the route, take a look at the Lake District
photos on my website from previous trips via the Corridor Route.

It is a good walk out .... but as always on the Fells, treat them with
respect.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still brings
the same excitement'

Old February 13th 04, 07:50 PM
Frank Weaver

It's exactly these sort of responses that I'm sure puts a lot of
people off asking.

I'm certainly not being glib about it and will obviously be taking a
lot of care - otherwise I would not have asked people with the
knowledge in the first place.

By mentioning my sailing experience I was trying to show that I have a
bit of experience of situations, a bit of sense and might cope with
problems that might hit us. Mainly I will be as prepared as much as I
can

No, I haven't done it before, I'm sure it won't be easy BUT I have
done my research
Old February 13th 04, 08:07 PM
Michael Farthing

In message , Frank
Weaver writes
It's exactly these sort of responses that I'm sure puts a lot of
people off asking.

If you only want replies that confirm your views then what's the point
of asking? You got my honest assessment. You can take note; just
ignore it or ignore it and complain that it isn't what you wanted to
hear. OK if you go for the last and it puts you off asking then you've
saved yourself and everyone else a bit of effort.

I'm certainly not being glib about it and will obviously be taking a
lot of care - otherwise I would not have asked people with the
knowledge in the first place.

By mentioning my sailing experience I was trying to show that I have a
bit of experience of situations, a bit of sense and might cope with
problems that might hit us. Mainly I will be as prepared as much as I
can

No, I haven't done it before, I'm sure it won't be easy BUT I have
done my research

Well, as I say, that's not how it seemed to me. And you didn't like me
saying so. Tough. I'm not going to start lying just to please you: it
would short change those that ask and listen to the replies.

--
Michael Farthing
cyclades
Old February 13th 04, 11:10 PM
Tim Jackson

sandy saunders wrote on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:20:50 -0000....

[Frank Weaver:]
We're going up to the Lakes next week and intend to do Scafell Pike
for the first time. My wife is ill at the moment so I'll just be
doing it with my 13 & 11 year old boys (+ dog).

Dont forget to get the weather from the National Park Weatherline on 017687
75757. Updated for the following day after 5:00pm. Good forecast for the
Fells with such things as wind speed, temp, cloud cover and wind-chill
factor for 3000ft (Scafell Pike region). Also, take a look at the weather
forecast at www.wasdaleweb.co.uk, again a good indication of conditions.
Included is a 72 hour forecast.

I think the weather forecast is the key to this trip. Adjust your
plans according to what it says.

If it's good, you'll no doubt have an excellent time, and you'll be
exclaiming about what a lot of ninnies there are in u.r.w. who tried
to persuade you against it.

But if there's snow, ice and/or mist, then what people have said
elsewhere in this thread is all true.

From what I've read the preferred route from Seathwaite is Taylorgill
Force - Sty Head - Corridor Route - Lingmell col - Scafell Pike.

A great route in good conditions. The path up the right-hand side of
Taylorgill Force is a little scrambly, which personally I enjoy. But
if you want this can be avoided by taking the well-made path from
Stockley Bridge to Sty Head on the other side of the Force.

This is the route Clare and I do as it is generally quieter than via Esk
Huase,

Well, I'm sure there'll be people around, especially at Sty Head.

however, it isn't an easy route for the unfamiliar. The path is
mostly over rocks which can be difficlut to see in baad weather. There is
one rocky step to go down just before Piers Gill, onto a ledge, which
requires care. Will be worse if ice on the rocks. Also, easy to miss the
path up the final section of Scafell Pike from Lingmell Col if the
visibility is poor. Path is not very clear on the ground.

This advice is spot on. (The rocky step is just before Greta Gill,
which is a short distance before Piers Gill.)

Returning via Esk Hause and Grains Gill to Stockley Bridge.

This would be the route I would use, up and down, for the first time if
unsure at this time of year. Although, again, in poor visibilty it requires
care from Calf Cove around Broad Crag to the col above Little Narrowcove

Again, I think this advice is spot on. In bad weather, this is the
way I would probably go myself, but I'd be wary about taking the kids.

--
Tim Jackson
lid
Old February 13th 04, 11:16 PM
Ken

In article , Frank
Weaver writes
It's exactly these sort of responses that I'm sure puts a lot of
people off asking.

I'm certainly not being glib about it and will obviously be taking a
lot of care - otherwise I would not have asked people with the
knowledge in the first place.

By mentioning my sailing experience I was trying to show that I have a
bit of experience of situations, a bit of sense and might cope with
problems that might hit us. Mainly I will be as prepared as much as I
can

No, I haven't done it before, I'm sure it won't be easy BUT I have
done my research

just wondering whether Taylor Gill Force is doggable. It's a bit sort of
scrambly.

--
Ken
Old February 13th 04, 11:25 PM
Ken

In article , sandy
saunders writes

This is the route Clare and I do as it is generally quieter than via Esk
Huase, however, it isn't an easy route for the unfamiliar. The path is
mostly over rocks which can be difficlut to see in baad weather. There is
one rocky step to go down just before Piers Gill, onto a ledge, which
requires care. Will be worse if ice on the rocks. Also, easy to miss the
path up the final section of Scafell Pike from Lingmell Col if the
visibility is poor. Path is not very clear on the ground.

I thought I saw a made up path (at the start) when I was there last
September. I wasn't paying attention at the time as I was on my way to
Hollow Stones.

Old February 14th 04, 12:00 AM
Ian Dainty

"Paul Rooney" wrote in message

I agree. It's light enough to walk without a torch for nearly 11
hours. If the weather looks like being grim/icy, you could always use
Esk Hause both ways. If you're used to navigating then the chances
are, if it's misty, that you will be helping someone else at Esk Hause
- it's notorious for people getting lost!

Indeed.

Ian.

Old February 14th 04, 12:06 AM
Frank Weaver

I was after honest advice & opinions since I haven't attempted this
walk/climb before - I'm sure many have done it without outside help

I am really grateful for all of that - including the actual content of
yours

Maybe it was your high-handed delivery that was unnecessary
Old February 14th 04, 12:11 AM
Frank Weaver

Thanks for that Sandy - I had come across your site eariler in the
week - great pictures
Old February 14th 04, 12:41 AM
Ron Barker

The interesting thing now about the original question is why was it asked.
In mountain leader training you have to estimate distance height gain/loss
and timing and this should be roughly divided out into the sections of the
walk so that you know how you are getting on. Now people regularly go off
without doing any of this and most are fine. It's only a case of how
comfortable you feel about doing it. The question I ask myself is would I
take my own kids if I couldn't estimate the time for the walk. Well I might
do in the summer if I was prepared to turn back at any time and I was
confident of "Mountain" navigation. I might try a shorter walk with that
age profile in winter with full gear - axe and rope as a minimum with the
kids in case of difficulties in ice patches or escape routes. The
temperature tomorrow is estimated at 10 degrees in the valley bottom and
zero at 3000ft with a wind-chill to minus 8 degrees. Just don't get stuck
with the kids up at the tops without the ability to keep them warm. 2
degrees drop in core body temperature is the start of hypothermia and it
comes on fast with kids, accelerates rapidly and kills in very short time.

This is not meant to be a scare story it is purely in case you are not
acquainted with these facts either. If you are a sailor then I'm sure you
know all about it and can therefore judge the risks for yourself.

Good luck, take plenty of warm gear and drinks and food. Have a tremendous
walk and don't forget what you learnt on the First Aid courses.

"Michael Farthing" wrote in message
In message , Frank
Weaver writes