Down Sleeping Bags and the Outdoor Show

Old April 3rd 04, 03:44 PM
AndyP

Default Down Sleeping Bags and the Outdoor Show

"druidh" wrote

One small point to watch for - some of the very light bags have no zips.

In
my opinion, that rules them out of Summer use, which means that they're

also
two season - Spring and Autumn.

I've got a bag with no zip. No problem to get in and out of. No problem
being comfortable over a wide range of temperature, hat on fully clothed,
hat off, clothes off, uncover your head, one arm out, 2 arms out, pulled
down from your chest a bit, sleep on top of it. If my top half's
comfortable my bottom half follows suit. I can't see the point of full
length zips at all apart from zipping 2 together. Mountain equipment have
actually increased the zip length on some of their bags to go all the way
around the bottom. Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet? Presumably that would also mean you can't zip 2
together either.

Old April 3rd 04, 06:16 PM
Steve Jones

In general I want to reduce the weight in my pack and there are two things
that are in my sights for replacement, my sleeping bag and my Thermorest.
The Thermorest is quite straightforward but I wonder if any of you can give
me some advice on the bag.

I currently use a synthetic bag which is quite heavy. But the down bags
that I have been looking at from Mountain Equipment are really not that much
lighter although to be fair my old Coleman Bag may well be much heavier than
it says on the label! But there seems to be a Rab 3 season bag which weighs
in at about half a kilogram: does anyone have any experience of this bag or
of the other alternatives?

Got an ME down bag which I'm chuffed to bits with, warm and
lightweight.
There is an article and comparisons of lightweight down and synthetic
bags this month in TGO which I recommend is well worth looking at.

Steve
Old April 3rd 04, 11:25 PM
druidh

"AndyP" wrote in message
[...]

Yes - really!

Presumably that would also mean you can't zip 2
together either.

I always found that the problem with zipping two together was the large gap
whcih inevitably developed bwteen the "necks" of the two occupants - and the
subsequent entry of cold air.

druidh

Old April 4th 04, 01:07 PM
Peter Clinch

Ken wrote:

If that's the case, everything else considered it seems to be round abo=

ut a
=A31 extra for every 2g weight saved for down bags with similar thermo
performance.

Only if you don't take the longevity of the fillings into account. A=20
good down bag is generally about 3 times the price of a good synthetic.=20
It should last at least 3 times as long. Over time costs are actually =

comparable. Of course, if you don't have the up-front capital you=20
don't, but if you *do*...

Where synthetics are really miles and miles ahead are cleaning them:=20
just chuck them in the washing machine at any time, job done. Much,=20
much more convenient. And if you're allergic to down then there's no=20
real choice.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old April 4th 04, 11:33 PM
Julie Meikle

"
Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet?

Yes all the time! I hate feeling confined so I usually stick my paws
out....I'm considering replacing my ME Sleepwalker 2 with a new model. I'm
glad to see ME have added extended the zip all the way around the footbed on
these models ...first brought in on the Down Dreamcatcher models.. I nearly
went for one of those, but reckoned that the need to use a liner was pretty
high on a down bag and that meant not sticking my foot out!

Julie

Old April 5th 04, 09:34 AM
Ken

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

If that's the case, everything else considered it seems to be round about

1 extra for every 2g weight saved for down bags with similar thermo
performance.

Only if you don't take the longevity of the fillings into account. A
good down bag is generally about 3 times the price of a good synthetic.
It should last at least 3 times as long. Over time costs are actually
comparable. Of course, if you don't have the up-front capital you
don't, but if you *do*...

Where synthetics are really miles and miles ahead are cleaning them:
just chuck them in the washing machine at any time, job done. Much,
much more convenient. And if you're allergic to down then there's no
real choice.

.....was talking about the difference between spending 300 on a down bag and
100 on a down bag.
Synthetics not considered.

Old April 6th 04, 12:26 AM
Dean

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:53:44 +0100, Fran wrote:

said...
Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet?

Has been known. Actually, it's what I do a lot of the time, because
I can't bear having hot feet, but OTOH I like to have my shoulders
and arms nice and toasty at night.

Same here. Having a bag that you can vent from the botom is worth the extra
zip weight!

My question re down bags would be whether or not they'd be suitable
for allergy sufferers. Anyone know?

There are many asmtha suffers with a feather allergy. My brothers asmtha
has all but disappeared, but feathers would still trigger an asmathic
reaction. That, and city traffic pollution are the 2 main causes for him.