Down Sleeping Bags and the Outdoor Show

Old April 6th 04, 12:48 AM
Dean

Default Down Sleeping Bags and the Outdoor Show

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:44:40 +0100, AndyP wrote:

"druidh" wrote

One small point to watch for - some of the very light bags have no zips.

In
my opinion, that rules them out of Summer use, which means that they're

also
two season - Spring and Autumn.

I've got a bag with no zip. No problem to get in and out of. No problem
being comfortable over a wide range of temperature, hat on fully clothed,
hat off, clothes off, uncover your head, one arm out, 2 arms out, pulled
down from your chest a bit, sleep on top of it. If my top half's
comfortable my bottom half follows suit. I can't see the point of full
length zips at all apart from zipping 2 together. Mountain equipment have
actually increased the zip length on some of their bags to go all the way
around the bottom. Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet? Presumably that would also mean you can't zip 2
together either.

Why does that mean you can't zip 2 together? You need a full length zip to
be able to do that surely. I've never had the need/oppurtunity ;-) to zip
two together but thought it'd be worth getting one with a full length zip
just in case :-)

Old April 6th 04, 11:33 AM
Peter Clinch

Fran wrote:

Who makes the best synthetic bags, and what is used for
the stuffing?

Define "best"... And what the insulation is is a factor in what your
definition of "best" is too. According to most firms' marketing
propoganda, they make the best ones!

I'd take the usual guide of stick to a reputable name and you'll get
what you pay for, though take the law of diminishging returns into
account and don't pay for stuff you don't need (i.e., 4 season rating
for a summer bag).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old April 7th 04, 10:50 AM
AndyP

"Dean" wrote

Why does that mean you can't zip 2 together? You need a full length zip

be able to do that surely. I've never had the need/oppurtunity ;-) to zip
two together but thought it'd be worth getting one with a full length zip
just in case :-)

Generally zips just go down one straight side of the bag and stop a few
inches before the bottom so you get a left hand zip bag and a right hand zip
bag and can fit the 2 zips together. The ME bags I mentioned have the zip
continuing around the bottom as well so if it was a continuous zip you'd end
up with a pretty odd twisted shape by trying to zip 2 together. But they
might well have put in a separate extra zip to extend around the bottom to
allow you to still zip them together, can't tell from the picture I was
looking at.

Old April 7th 04, 11:25 PM
AndyP

"AndyP" wrote

Generally zips just go down one straight side of the bag and stop a few
inches before the bottom so you get a left hand zip bag and a right hand

zip
bag and can fit the 2 zips together. The ME bags I mentioned have the zip
continuing around the bottom as well so if it was a continuous zip you'd

end
up with a pretty odd twisted shape by trying to zip 2 together. But they
might well have put in a separate extra zip to extend around the bottom to
allow you to still zip them together, can't tell from the picture I was
looking at.

Nope, saw one on my travels today. Single continuous zip.

Old April 7th 04, 11:45 PM
Dean

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:25:27 +0100, AndyP wrote:

"AndyP" wrote

Generally zips just go down one straight side of the bag and stop a few
inches before the bottom so you get a left hand zip bag and a right hand

zip
bag and can fit the 2 zips together. The ME bags I mentioned have the zip
continuing around the bottom as well so if it was a continuous zip you'd

end
up with a pretty odd twisted shape by trying to zip 2 together. But they
might well have put in a separate extra zip to extend around the bottom to
allow you to still zip them together, can't tell from the picture I was
looking at.

Nope, saw one on my travels today. Single continuous zip.

see what you mean :-(