TR: Beacons Today

Old December 19th 04, 11:01 PM
Paul Saunders

Default TR: Beacons Today

Snow, sun.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Old December 19th 04, 11:21 PM
Darren G

In article , pvs1
@wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...
Snow, sun.

beats the cloud & fog I had last week!

--
Darren
Old December 20th 04, 01:07 AM
Phil Cook

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:01:26 -0000, Paul Saunders wrote:

Snow, sun.

Where's the &*#$*#& pictures then?

Lovely and cold here in London. Went for a stroll in Hyde Park under
clear skies this evening. Didn't have my camera with me, :-|
Old December 20th 04, 10:48 AM
Tony Simpkins

"Paul Saunders" wrote

Snow, sun.

Plenty of sun too in the Buttermere valley on Sunday.
Spent a bit of time down by the lake where the Buttermere oak was in
photogenic mood then went for a mass ascent of Latrigg with the
family.
Some pics here http://tony-simpkins.fotopic.net/c372841.html

Tony Simpkins

Old December 20th 04, 05:30 PM
theo

"Paul Saunders" schreef in bericht
Snow, sun.

good
--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

Old December 20th 04, 09:47 PM
InvadeR

"theo" wrote in message

"Paul Saunders" schreef in bericht
Snow, sun.

good
--

Yes. Good.

Old December 21st 04, 06:05 AM
Paul Saunders

Phil Cook wrote:

Snow, sun.

Where's the &*#$*#& pictures then?

I forgot to mention shattered! It was knackering walking through all
that deep snow! Probably averaging 6 inches deep but often a foot or so
around Llyn y Fan Fawr. In fact there were very deep drifts on the
eastern edge of the lake, which I stumbled waist deep into on two
occasions (trying to get closer to the edge for photos).

Anyway, a pretty normal shot of Fan Brycheiniog to set the scene;
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190009.jpg

Figure in a landscape. Does it really make the pic?
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190021.jpg

Spring. Arty shot with a pretentious title. I've corrected the blue
cast so that the snow actually looks white.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190023.jpg

First shot with the 10-22 and first time up to my waist in snow getting
it. I've never been able to include these boulders and the ridge in the
same shot before, yet there's nothing terribly obvious about how wide
the lens is, which is a good thing IMO.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190038.jpg

Wind blown snow at sunset, looking east.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190046.jpg

Llyn y Fan Fawr at twilight.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190071.jpg

Snow covered rocks.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190079.jpg

Frozen pond. First stars starting to appear. 30 seconds. Flare from
moon at the top of the pic.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190081.jpg

The night sky, featuring Ursa Major. Fully dark now, first moonlit
shot. Some exposures were as long as 8 minutes, but this one was only
30 seconds, in order to stop the stars from creating trails
(underexposed then brightened).
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190082.jpg

Lake reflection. 2 minute exposure.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190087.jpg

Lake outflow. 4 minute exposure. As mentioned elsewhere, I've applied
no processing to this pic. If I had, it would look more like the
previous shot. Note the straight line in the sky on the left hand side
of the sky - probably a satellite. Pity about all the footprints in the
shot which have ruined it, nothing I could do about them, other than not
take the shot.
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190088.jpg

Ended up with soaked trousers because of all the deep snow, I really
should have worn overtrousers. Socks got soaked through my boots too.
Didn't bother me too much because there was hardly any wind and I didn't
feel cold whilst moving, but still, I'd probably have stayed longer if
I'd managed to keep dry. Not pleasant standing around in the snow in
wet trousers waiting for very long exposures to complete.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old December 21st 04, 09:20 AM
theo

Phil Cook wrote:

Snow, sun.

Where's the &*#$*#& pictures then?

I forgot to mention shattered! It was knackering walking through all
that deep snow! Probably averaging 6 inches deep but often a foot or so
around Llyn y Fan Fawr. In fact there were very deep drifts on the
eastern edge of the lake, which I stumbled waist deep into on two
occasions (trying to get closer to the edge for photos).

Inspiring pictures, Paul. Our weatherforecast gives a possibility of some
snow in the near future. I'll try to make some decent snowpictures in my
region.

Old December 21st 04, 12:26 PM
Tony Simpkins

"Paul Saunders" wrote

Figure in a landscape. Does it really make the pic?
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190021.jpg

Nope, but it adds a mite of interest to what would otherwise have been
a dull picture.

Figures wouldn't have made any of the other pictures either and,
worse, would have been an intrusion.

Nice pics lit by the Moon. Did you know the exposure to use or did you
try several?

Tony Simpkins

Old December 21st 04, 12:39 PM
SteveO

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:05:25 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:

Snow, sun.

Where's the &*#$*#& pictures then?

Yeah! Exactly!!

Anyway,

....ah, see I'm quick off the mark again ;-)

Some interesting shots Paul, ranging from so-so (my ho, because of the
flat light) to the superb - in the bracket I'd put the "after sunset"
pics. This is my fave:

The night sky, featuring Ursa Major. Fully dark now, first moonlit
shot. Some exposures were as long as 8 minutes, but this one was only
30 seconds, in order to stop the stars from creating trails
(underexposed then brightened).
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190082.jpg

The other shots are equally as inspiring for the light (huh? we are
talking after sunset aren't we?? ;-) but the star-trails have an
unbalancing effect (for me). If the pics were mine (I wish!!) I might
clone out the linear star trails and leave the static points of
light... but then I'd have to see how far from the "original" that
took me before I'd be happy.

Cold and conditions notwithstanding Paul, would you say it might have
been practicable to take longer exposures to get to the situation
where all of the stars were showing trails? (I think, for me, its the
half-way house that's unbalancing the composition.)

N1 Paul.

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;