Today's snow...

Old December 19th 04, 10:11 PM
RJ Webb

Default Today's snow...

Had a good day?
Have a look at this, see who else got the white stuff...

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/r...32000.250m.jpg

Richard Webb
Old December 20th 04, 12:49 AM
Stuart

"C L Imber" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:11:47 GMT, (RJ Webb) wrote:

Had a good day?
Have a look at this, see who else got the white stuff...

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/r...4/crefl2_143.A

2004354131500-2004354132000.250m.jpg

That's one hell of a file download.

Perhaps a modem overload warning would have been in order!?

Yes sorry ..... 251K

What amazed me with this pic is the detail, none of the ground detail could
be seen with the eye. for all you camera buffs this was taken on an Ixus 400
with 15 sec shutter openings! The distant city glows of Newcastle ( a few
clicks to the right of orion) and Edinburgh (the big glow in the op
direction (like the sun about to rise)) are not at all obvious to the human
eye!

!

]

Old December 20th 04, 03:00 AM
Tim Jackson

Stuart wrote on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:49:09 -0000....
That's one hell of a file download.

Perhaps a modem overload warning would have been in order!?

Yes sorry ..... 251K

I suspect it was a reference to NASA's 11 megabytes, rather than your
251k !

What sort of connection is Chris on if he can get it in 7 seconds?

--
Tim Jackson
lid
Old December 20th 04, 11:07 AM
Jhimmy

Approx 1minute 30 seconds for me - 7 secs, been vaselining the TCP packets,
Chris??

Jimmy ;-)

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/r...354/crefl2_143.

A2004354131500-2004354132000.250m.jpg

That's one hell of a file download.

Perhaps a modem overload warning would have been in order!?

Only took me seven seconds ...:-)

Old December 20th 04, 12:03 PM
Chris Gilbert

Stuart wrote:

Took the following pano from my local hill
tonight, full marks if you can guess where I am

Which direction is the centre of the pic looking ?

Chris

Old December 20th 04, 05:53 PM
Dominic Sexton

In article , Rob Milne
writes
In article ,
(C L Imber) wrote:

Theoretically a 2MB link could manage 11MB in 7 secs, however, in my
experience a 100MB pipe can barely manage that!

I pulled it down with the 2MB link at work, still took a couple of
minutes. Often servers are quick enough to feed data at that speed.

If we are talking about a DSL line then it is 2 mega-bits per second
rather than 2 mega-bytes per second which would work out at about 44
seconds minimum for that image.

There are not many businesses or other organisations that will have
larger pipes than 2 Mbp/s which are not shared with other user's of
their network which makes comparisons difficult.

The 7 second figure would work out at about 12.5 Mbp/s which is really
rather generous for an individual's connection unless the individual was
using it at 4 am when the network traffic was minimal!

Fantastic image!

Great isn't it!

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
Old December 20th 04, 07:26 PM
Stuart

"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:

Took the following pano from my local hill
tonight, full marks if you can guess where I am

Which direction is the centre of the pic looking ?

Chris

The bearing of the mouse pointer should be in the status bar!

http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/staenight.htm

Old December 20th 04, 10:05 PM
Jhimmy

Arh, that explains it.

Jhimmy :-)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:07:13 GMT, Jhimmy wrote:

Approx 1minute 30 seconds for me - 7 secs, been vaselining the TCP

packets,
Chris??

Jimmy ;-)

No, company I work for has it's own dark fibre across the pond that pops
out on the same backbone as NASA....:-) I can hit about 23Mb/sec if I try
hard and the web server at the far end can actually shove it out that

fast.

At home I'm stuck with 512k until they get a wayleave to dig the final bit
of fibre to my house.

"Chris Street" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:23:19 +0000, C L Imber wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:11:47 GMT, (RJ Webb) wrote:

Had a good day?
Have a look at this, see who else got the white stuff...

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/r...354/crefl2_143

..

What is rest? Bear G Running 33 October 13th 04 06:37 PM
TR: Snow Hee Rob Milne Walking in the UK 2 June 23rd 04 07:59 AM
Kingsdale, Curlews, Snipe and snow Bootlaces Walking in the UK 0 April 6th 04 08:53 PM
Patchy Snow! Rob Milne Walking in the UK 8 March 4th 04 03:25 PM
Mid-Winter Walking Jim Compton Walking in the UK 23 December 8th 03 10:10 AM