North Scotland in early summer

Old January 10th 05, 09:47 AM

Default North Scotland in early summer

I'm thinking of heading up to the North of Scotland for the first time,
either in late June or early July, probably based around Ullapool. I'm
aware that I'll make the acquaintance of The Midge. Of course I'm ready for
the weather to be unpredicatable. But is this a sensible time of year to
see the area?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Mark
--
Mark Manning
Old January 10th 05, 10:26 AM
Chris Gilbert

mrm1 wrote

I'm thinking of heading up to the North of Scotland for the first

time,
either in late June or early July, probably based around Ullapool. I'm
aware that I'll make the acquaintance of The Midge. Of course I'm ready

for
the weather to be unpredicatable. But is this a sensible time of year to
see the area?

You'll certainly be taking a gamble with the wee gnashies and the tics. IMO
late May is less risky.

Chris

Old January 10th 05, 11:11 AM
bob watkinson

"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
mrm1 wrote

I'm thinking of heading up to the North of Scotland for the first

time,
either in late June or early July, probably based around Ullapool. I'm
aware that I'll make the acquaintance of The Midge. Of course I'm ready

for
the weather to be unpredicatable. But is this a sensible time of year to
see the area?

You'll certainly be taking a gamble with the wee gnashies and the tics.
IMO
late May is less risky.

Chris

Chris is right. Depending on where you go and what you do you could be
midged alive in late June. Having said that, it would be infinitely better
than right now.
May is often fantastic in Scotland. Warm and midge free (largely).

Old January 10th 05, 08:44 PM
Jhimmy

I'm reluctant to go from Mid June until mid August, the MacMidge is hell on
earth (after politics). Late May is probably the best, long days in the
hills, cooler for walking and you might even have some snow high up!

As they say, once bitten, never again!

Jhimmy.

Old January 10th 05, 08:53 PM
Peewiglet

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:44:17 GMT, "Jhimmy"
wrote:

I'm reluctant to go from Mid June until mid August, the MacMidge is hell on
earth (after politics). Late May is probably the best, long days in the
hills, cooler for walking and you might even have some snow high up!

As they say, once bitten, never again!

Right... once bitten, didn't return for over 20 years...

gulp...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old January 10th 05, 09:00 PM
druidh

"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
mrm1 wrote

I'm thinking of heading up to the North of Scotland for the first

time,
either in late June or early July, probably based around Ullapool. I'm
aware that I'll make the acquaintance of The Midge. Of course I'm ready

for
the weather to be unpredicatable. But is this a sensible time of year to
see the area?

You'll certainly be taking a gamble with the wee gnashies and the tics.
IMO
late May is less risky.

While the above is true, don't let the horror stories scare you off. Plenty
of folk camp in Scotland throughout the Summer - and one or two and have
been known to do it twice :-)

Generally, weather is brighter & drier and the air clearer in May. Given a
decent summer, there's even the chance of some residual snow patches to help
highlight the mountains. May / June also sees the most flowers.

Early July is also the start of the Scottish school holidays and it can
therefore be a bit busier.

druidh

Old January 10th 05, 09:09 PM
Chris Gilbert

druidh wrote

Plenty
of folk camp in Scotland throughout the Summer - and one or two and have
been known to do it twice :-)

Including me.

Chris

Old January 10th 05, 10:57 PM
Stuart

wrote in message
I'm thinking of heading up to the North of Scotland for the first

time,
either in late June or early July, probably based around Ullapool. I'm
aware that I'll make the acquaintance of The Midge. Of course I'm ready

for
the weather to be unpredicatable. But is this a sensible time of year to
see the area?

It is an excellent time of year to visit the far north west, the weather in
that part of the world is always dodgy, but if you get good weather then
there is no better place. It is worth going at that time of year just to
experience the long daylight hours, It virtually doesn't get dark!

People go on and on about the Midge but it isn't all that bad, yes it will
spoil some parts of some days (dusk and dawn) but the bulk of the time it
isn't a problem. I regularly wild camp at that time of year, I always choose
high camps and i am rarely bothered by the midge

Go and enjoy it!