Five Sisters or South Cluanie Ridge

Old February 8th 05, 11:36 PM
Gareth Houghton

Default Five Sisters or South Cluanie Ridge

I am thinking of going to Scotland mid April and staying around
Lochalsh, I am looking for Routes to do on My Own (nothing to Hairy)
If there is no snow or ice on the tops, i was going to pop over to
Skye and head up Blaven and then possibly do the Five Sisters or South
Cluanie Ridge on another day. the issue I have is if there is any snow
or ice around I dont want to do anything particularly scrambly on my
own as I prefer to be a bit more careful when on my lonesome. Can
anyone suggest any good routes if there is any snow and ice around
(dont get me wrong I have crampons and Ice axe etc but just prefer to
be overcautious). what are Five Sisters or South Cluanie Ridge routes
like, from pictures i have seen they look fairly okay. Or any other
goude Munros to do etc.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

cheers

Old February 9th 05, 12:10 AM
Lindsay

Hi Gareth
Kintail has numerous routes both to the north and south of the Glen.
If its icy and snowy there are plenty easier alternatives. You will
just have to take each day as it comes as they are really too numerous
to include them all. As well as the South Cluanie Ridge consider The
Saddle by the Forcan Ridge and include Sgurr na Sgine. Beinn Sgritheall
over at Glenelg.
On the north side there is Beinn Fhada and A'Ghlas-bheinn or 'The
Brothers'.
So as you can see you have plenty choice.
I don't know what your accommodation plans are but if you stay at the
Youth Hostel at Ratagan The Manager is a member of the Kintail Mountain
Rescue Team and is good for some expert advice.
Enjoy your visit.
Lindsay.
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Old February 9th 05, 12:31 AM
druidh

Gareth Houghton wrote:
I am thinking of going to Scotland mid April and staying around
Lochalsh, I am looking for Routes to do on My Own (nothing to Hairy)
If there is no snow or ice on the tops, i was going to pop over to
Skye and head up Blaven and then possibly do the Five Sisters or South
Cluanie Ridge on another day. the issue I have is if there is any snow
or ice around I dont want to do anything particularly scrambly on my
own as I prefer to be a bit more careful when on my lonesome. Can
anyone suggest any good routes if there is any snow and ice around
(dont get me wrong I have crampons and Ice axe etc but just prefer to
be overcautious). what are Five Sisters or South Cluanie Ridge routes
like, from pictures i have seen they look fairly okay. Or any other
goude Munros to do etc.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

cheers

While the South Glen Shiel Ridge is a bit longer and more of an outing
than the 5 Sisters, the terrain has no nasty surprises and I would not
think you'd need crampons in April (wishing of course that the weather
will prove me wrong!) The Five Sisters has a couple of narrower sections
and one short scramble (down going East-West). Again, it's unlikely that
you'd encounter any difficulties, but if you're at all unsure, go South.

In either case, bear in mind the limited daylight and the length of the
return trip back to your car or whatever.

The Saddle / Forcan Ridge is the real choice route in this area but is
the most exposed and hands-on of those mentioned.

druidh
Old February 9th 05, 11:05 AM
spamfrog

druidh wrote:
In either case, bear in mind the limited daylight and the
length of the return trip back to your car or whatever.

You can of course get the thumb out in order to get back to your start
point. The last time we were there we met a group who had left bikes at one
end and another who were thumbing it back. My group had made up a route
which took us back to the start point.

--
Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

Old February 9th 05, 11:22 AM
Chris Gilbert

spamfrog wrote:

You can of course get the thumb out in order to get back to your
start point. The last time we were there we met a group who had
left bikes at one end and another who were thumbing it back. My
group had made up a route which took us back to the start point.

The South Glen Shiel ridge also splits nicely into two consumable
halves, the East end of which can be done from the Inn on all but the
shortest winter days. If you're staying at the Inn then a word in the
ear of the landlord will get you a ride up the landrover track to the
start of the stalkers path up the northern end of the ridge.

Chris

Old February 9th 05, 12:45 PM
druidh

When asking for lifts in the past, the problem has been that he'll only
run you up after breakfast. If you're after an early start, this is a
bit restrictive. An option is to do it in reverse; drive or cycle down
the Glen, walk back to the Inn and get a lift down the Glen again to
pick up your bike or car.

PS - I can recommend the Cluanie Inn. Food is great, good selection of
bottled beers and whiskys, residents lounge with good reading material
and internet access for checking weather forecasts etc, drying room. No
TV, but they've a video library (ask for the ones in the back room!!)

druidh

Old February 9th 05, 01:00 PM
Lindsay

I disagree slightly with Druidh in that there is plenty daylight hours
in April. You can probably walk till well after 8pm. - sufficient
time to walk the whole ridge.
I have walked it on several occasions and on two of these occasions I
parked my car at the finishing point and took the service bus up the
Glen to the Cluanie Inn. The slight disadvantage is that the bus is
aroud 9.40am so you don't get started till around 10am. Still found I
could finish the ridge in daylight.

Old February 9th 05, 07:10 PM
RJ Webb

While the South Glen Shiel Ridge is a bit longer and more of an outing
than the 5 Sisters, the terrain has no nasty surprises and I would not
think you'd need crampons in April (wishing of course that the weather
will prove me wrong!)

That would be nice.. remember in April nights can be cold and days
warm so snow melts and freezes can be very hard at this time, although
most years the ridges will be clear by then

The Five Sisters has a couple of narrower sections
and one short scramble (down going East-West). Again, it's unlikely that
you'd encounter any difficulties, but if you're at all unsure, go South.

Narrow on Druim Shionnach /Aonach air Chrith on the south ridge too.

In either case, bear in mind the limited daylight and the length of the
return trip back to your car or whatever.

Day light is always limited, but April is well past the equinox and
you will have plenty.

Richard Webb
Old February 9th 05, 07:19 PM
Gareth Houghton

Basically we a are going to rent a cottage in that area for a week, My
Partner wont be going with me up munros, so she will drop me off at
the start and pick me up at the other end.

Any descriptions of Blaven and some of the torridon munros would be
also appreciated.
I think Liathach and Beinn Alligin are pushing it on my own but Beinn
Eighe sounds quite straightforward.

Gareth