Stormy

Old October 25th 05, 01:40 AM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Default Stormy

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Daytona said
"sandy saunders" wrote:

Pretty much the same on the south coast of England (Portsmouth).

Been raining steadily/heavily for 12+ hours here. I was surprised not
to see any mention of floods on the local news. Maybe tomorrow.....

Floods we got in Worcestershire .. minor so far (~12" on the Worcester
to Tenbury road near Witley (?) around midday today .. low slung sports
cars bottling out, heavy metal rolling through OK). Expect we'll have
some more interesting ones once the Welsh hills drain into the Severn
(and it's still raining).

The technology of road drains (as once seen near kerbs) appears to have
got lost during the recent dark ages. Or even ditches (I guess the EU
must have banned them or something). I mean very few roads are
=actually= below river level in this part of the country.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old October 25th 05, 12:46 PM
Dafydd Ap Arwyn

Ysgrifennodd "Richard Webb" mewn neges
.. .
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:08:45 +0100, Fran
wrote:

said...
OK ...................... who was out walking in all this 'lovely'
weather
today?

I was. But only *very* briefly. Here in south Wales it's been very wet
and windy and not at all pleasant.

Out yesterday.. 23rd, hit dry weather in Glen Gairn and settled for
Carn a'Bhacain and surrounding tops. Rather good in the end.

Richard Webb

Yep, yesterday was wonderful on the Pembrokeshire Coast.

Now i'm back in Eryri, it's too windy to go walking. The rain i'd cope with,
but i'm not too happy being blown off my feet!

And, i definately don't fancy a low level route in this weather instead.
(For low level , read muddy/boggy).

Lets hope the timings for the forecast on thursday are right. It's meant to
be a passable, sunny but windy day.

T Dave R

--

Walker Gonowhere
www.walkeryri.org.uk

Old October 25th 05, 05:33 PM
sandy saunders

Surely you weren't at sea before 31st July 1970, Sandy?!

Well ....................... yes I was. All the fresh air of the sea and
subsequent walking does wonders for the complexion.

Had my first tot on my 20th birthday on a ship-visit to St Naziare, France
in 1969, and the last, as you state, 31 July 1970. However, that was my the
last 'official' tot, but I acquired a gallon of the stuff some years later
when the RN auction a batch off. Didn't last too long, but it was very very
nice.

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement'

Old October 25th 05, 05:35 PM
sandy saunders

Hi Sandy, did you by chance do a spell in the RAF too?

No ..... , but did plenty of flying in helicopters, mainly as passenger!
Used to love watching the fixed-wing flying on my last ship, HMS Invincible.
Some show the pilots used to give the ships crew.

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

Old October 25th 05, 05:37 PM
sandy saunders

Spent many
years in the Royal Navy, sailing on a Monday morning

Good God sounds very predictable, I thought the forces were masters of
unpredictability. What did you do ?

Well, after 29 years in the RN, there was an awful lot of Mondays to sail
from Portsmouth.

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

Old October 25th 05, 05:38 PM
sandy saunders

I walked to the car several times and then drove home through it. But
then I had always planned to escape from South Wales on Monday. :-)

Anything to do with PS!

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

Old October 25th 05, 09:04 PM
Michael Thompson

sandy saunders bashed at the keyboard and came up with:

OK ...................... who was out walking in all this 'lovely' weather
today?

Not I ..... work was required.

bjummer. try7 typing wtgh gloves that are too big
Old October 25th 05, 10:08 PM
Roger

The message
from "sandy saunders" contains these words:

I walked to the car several times and then drove home through it. But
then I had always planned to escape from South Wales on Monday. :-)

Anything to do with PS!

No. I was visiting friends who have retired to a smallholding on the
lower slopes of Fan Hir. I (and a good number of other old
acquaintances) have been going several times a year for about the last
20 years which might be why I have climbed Fan Hir and its near
neighbours somewhere between 50 and 100 times. Went over the summit of
Fan Hir 3 times last weekend but I don't usually manage so many
traverses on a single visit.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 61 summits
New - 28 (Marilyns 14, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)
Old October 26th 05, 02:53 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Roger
writes
The message
from "sandy saunders" contains these words:

I walked to the car several times and then drove home through it. But
then I had always planned to escape from South Wales on Monday. :-)

Anything to do with PS!

No. I was visiting friends who have retired to a smallholding on the
lower slopes of Fan Hir. I (and a good number of other old
acquaintances) have been going several times a year for about the last
20 years which might be why I have climbed Fan Hir and its near
neighbours somewhere between 50 and 100 times. Went over the summit of
Fan Hir 3 times last weekend but I don't usually manage so many
traverses on a single visit.

Fan Hir is at least 1 metre lower than 1985 - most of the deficiency
taken away on Roger's boots :-)

Last weekend - you had some decent weather then?
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 26th 05, 06:53 PM
Roger

The message
from "W. D. Grey" contains these words:

Last weekend - you had some decent weather then?

Mostly yes.

Friday was a bit of a disappointment. What with the traffic delays and
the heavy rain all I managed on the way to S Wales was an eponymous golf
course and a visit to a club hut I hadn't seen since 1982.

Saturday was dry. A short walk back from the Usk reservoir on which I
struggled to keep up. Only 7.6 miles and 1590 feet of ascent. Moving
average 2.3, overall average 1.7. After a 2 and a half month lay-off my
body had forgotten what was expected of it.

On Sunday I slipped away on my own for my usual circuit of the Black
Mountain. Fan Hir was in clag most of the time and there was a cold wind
but the rest of the ridge was mostly clear. It started to rain as I
approached Waun Lefrith and it was soon raining heavily. I had a late
lunch in the shack by Llyn y Fan Fach (which now has a new tin roof) and
was joined by a family group who had walked up from the carpark. I must
have looked famished as the young toddler in the party offered me one of
his sandwiches. My hands had got so cold in the rain that I decided I
would have to wear my Dachstein mitts but they had shrunk since I last
wore them and I could only get one on. Even using my teeth I couldn't
get the other on but luckily the father of the family helped me out. The
rain had ceased by the time I started the climb up to Bwlch Blaen-Twrch
and there was even a bit of sun as I dropped off Fan Hir for the final
time. 13.5 miles and 3800 feet of ascent. Moving average 2.8, overall
average 2.5. And I didn't feel any more tired than I had the previous
day.