Stormy

Old October 27th 05, 09:39 AM
W. D. Grey

Default Stormy

In article , Roger
writes

Saturday was dry. A short walk back from the Usk reservoir on which I
struggled to keep up. Only 7.6 miles and 1590 feet of ascent. Moving
average 2.3, overall average 1.7. After a 2 and a half month lay-off my
body had forgotten what was expected of it.

On Sunday I slipped away on my own for my usual circuit of the Black
Mountain. Fan Hir was in clag most of the time and there was a cold wind
but the rest of the ridge was mostly clear. It started to rain as I
approached Waun Lefrith and it was soon raining heavily. I had a late
lunch in the shack by Llyn y Fan Fach (which now has a new tin roof) and
was joined by a family group who had walked up from the carpark. I must
have looked famished as the young toddler in the party offered me one of
his sandwiches. My hands had got so cold in the rain that I decided I
would have to wear my Dachstein mitts but they had shrunk since I last
wore them and I could only get one on. Even using my teeth I couldn't
get the other on but luckily the father of the family helped me out. The
rain had ceased by the time I started the climb up to Bwlch Blaen-Twrch
and there was even a bit of sun as I dropped off Fan Hir for the final
time. 13.5 miles and 3800 feet of ascent. Moving average 2.8, overall
average 2.5. And I didn't feel any more tired than I had the previous
day.

Firstly let me say I think I got my week-ends wrong - time flies! I was
probably thinking of the previous week-end.

Anyway, your walk from the Usk, although short by your standards isn't
particularly pleasant as I see it. I presume you went via Foel Tarw to
Fan Foel - a bit of a "pull-up" for us lesser mortals. If not then the
lower level past Llyn-y-Fan Fawr is quite nice if it's not so good on
the tops.

Judith and I were at the shack sheltering from horrendous weather last
November and it had a slate roof then - though we thought we were going
to lode the roof at any moment the wind was so strong. I found the
ascent of Blen Twrch quite steep but I enjoyed it when PS and I went
that way some time ago. Then the clag was so thick we could see nothing
from Picws Du.

I must have a go at Llyn-y-Fan Fach to Tafarn y Garreg sometime :-)

Nice report Roger and I'm glad you made something out of what appears to
have been a grotty weekend weather wise, even if I have forgotten about
it:-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 27th 05, 05:32 PM
Roger

The message
from "W. D. Grey" contains these words:

snip

Firstly let me say I think I got my week-ends wrong - time flies! I was
probably thinking of the previous week-end.

I can't even remember the previous weekend. (Memory like a sieve).

Anyway, your walk from the Usk, although short by your standards isn't
particularly pleasant as I see it. I presume you went via Foel Tarw to
Fan Foel - a bit of a "pull-up" for us lesser mortals. If not then the
lower level past Llyn-y-Fan Fawr is quite nice if it's not so good on
the tops.

Can't place Foel Tawr. We vaguely followed the Usk but kept to the drier
ground. The final pull up Fan Foel is steep but not very long. I had
hoped to divert right and go up via Bwlch Blaen-Twrch but from the back
of the group was unable to influence the one in front.

Judith and I were at the shack sheltering from horrendous weather last
November and it had a slate roof then - though we thought we were going
to lode the roof at any moment the wind was so strong.

The previous time I was there the slate roof had several holes in it.
The metal roof is very recent and probably isn't finished yet. (Daylight
along the ridge and water running down the chimney breast. Off-cuts of
new wood on the floor.)

I found the
ascent of Blen Twrch quite steep but I enjoyed it when PS and I went
that way some time ago. Then the clag was so thick we could see nothing
from Picws Du.

The path is a good one considering the steepness of the ground (only one
large step-up). The first time I went up that way I mistook the path
leading right for a sheep track out onto the crag and attacked the steep
grass direct. If it had been any steeper I would have parted company
with the hillside and I was considerably miffed when I rejoined the
track near the top.

I must have a go at Llyn-y-Fan Fach to Tafarn y Garreg sometime :-)

Eight of us were in the Tavern for a meal on the Friday night. (Not your
prints on the wall are they Bill?) A new landlord and the food was even
better than previous visits when it had merely been very good.

Nice report Roger and I'm glad you made something out of what appears to
have been a grotty weekend weather wise, even if I have forgotten about
it:-)

Thanks Bill. Eh what weekend? :-)

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 61 summits
New - 28 (Marilyns 14, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)
Old October 27th 05, 06:54 PM
Judith

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:39:46 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

Judith and I were at the shack sheltering from horrendous weather last
November and it had a slate roof then - though we thought we were going
to lose the roof at any moment the wind was so strong.

Yes, I think it was slate. There were a couple of small gaps, IIRC. I
was glad of the shelter. You didn't half choose a miserable day to
show me the Brecon Beacons, Bill!

Judith
Old October 27th 05, 07:31 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Roger
writes
Eight of us were in the Tavern for a meal on the Friday night. (Not your
prints on the wall are they Bill?) A new landlord and the food was even
better than previous visits when it had merely been very good.

The prints may well have been PS's - I did encourage him to advertise
his wares.

Nice report Roger and I'm glad you made something out of what appears to
have been a grotty weekend weather wise, even if I have forgotten about
it:-)

Thanks Bill. Eh what weekend? :-)

Yeah, I know the feeling :-)

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 27th 05, 07:33 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Judith
writes
wrote:

Judith and I were at the shack sheltering from horrendous weather last
November and it had a slate roof then - though we thought we were going
to lose the roof at any moment the wind was so strong.

Yes, I think it was slate. There were a couple of small gaps, IIRC. I
was glad of the shelter. You didn't half choose a miserable day to
show me the Brecon Beacons, Bill!

We never saw any damn Beacons :-)

I will never forget the condition of Llyn-y-Fan Fawr as along as I live.
It was as if a hurricane was passing over it the surface was so
violently swirling. The waves on Llyn-y-Fan Fach are also something I'll
not forget.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 27th 05, 10:00 PM
Kenneth Parkins

Sandy actually sailed with Nelson!

--
Regards
Ken Parkins
"Judith" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:30:58 GMT, "sandy saunders"
wrote:

Spent many
years in the Royal Navy, sailing on a Monday morning into these stormy
conditions. Not much fun for the tummy! Tot of rum at lunch time soon
used
to liven things up though .........

Surely you weren't at sea before 31st July 1970, Sandy?!

Judith

Old October 28th 05, 06:07 PM
sandy saunders

Surely you weren't at sea before 31st July 1970, Sandy?!

Cheers Ken ...

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement'

Old November 1st 05, 03:30 PM
Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom
in uk.rec.walking:

sandy saunders bashed at the keyboard and came up with:

OK ...................... who was out walking in all this 'lovely'
weather today?

Not I ..... work was required.

bjummer. try7 typing wtgh gloves that are too big

Sorry, I was bored. Am again......