Sunny Day Out

Old February 18th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Sunny Day Out

Today was "Long Walk" day. Myself, Adrian Godwin and Mark Thompson
walked a 20+ mile circular route starting and ending in Buxton,
Derbyshire. The route took in Axe Edge Moor, the Cat and Fiddle Pub,
Errwood Reservoir, Pym Chair, Windgather Rocks, and Combs village. I say
"20+" miles as there may be some disagreement between mine and Adrian's
GPSs. My Garmin Forerunner 301 gives a total distance of 24.91 miles.
I'm interested to know the figure Adrian's comes up with. Peak elevation
was 1748ft, and total walk time 8h 13m.

The weather Gods were with us today as the day started sunny and pretty
much stayed that way until the sun went down. Not much wind, either, and
not too warm, which made for ideal walking conditions.

As ever, on such occasions, the topics of conversation were varied and
wide-ranging, including;

Has there ever been a good time to be a Russian (answer: probably not)

What does "modern" warfare mean anyway?

Has anyone ever written a book on the sociological phenomenon of Usenet?
(and if not, why not?)

How many more hills are there before the finish? (this one cropped up
several times).

etc., etc., please add your own.

All in all, a great day out, and nice to meet some urwers at last.

I know urw doesn't go in for long walk-reports, so I now throw the floor
open to the other two participants...
--
Chris Hill

Old February 18th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

The route took in [...] the Cat and Fiddle Pub,

Bloody liar! Chris wouldn't let us go in, not even for a single pint.
"Dragged past, kicking and screaming" is a more accurate description.
This continued at _every_ _single_ pub we passed. The man is evil :-)

Despite being the youngest, Chris and Adrian were pretty perky at the
end, whereas my legs were dropping off around the 14 mile mark. Too
their credit, they managed not to take the mick. Energy levels were
still up, and I enjoyed the walk despite the lack of leg muscles. I
sense a need to do a bit more walking before I venture out with these two
again :-)

As ever, on such occasions, the topics of conversation were varied and
wide-ranging, including;

Has there ever been a good time to be a Russian (answer: probably not)

What does "modern" warfare mean anyway?

Has anyone ever written a book on the sociological phenomenon of
Usenet? (and if not, why not?)

How many more hills are there before the finish? (this one cropped up
several times).

etc., etc., please add your own.

oooh, let's see.

Peter Clinch's tights.

How lovely Fran is.

Who killed Peewiglet?

How many more big hills?
..little hills
..steep hills
..long hills

How many hours til we finish?
..miles til we finish?

Will you stop hitting me if I stop asking when we'll finish?

What about this pub?
..that pub?
..the next pub?

Did you get her number Chris? -- like candles round a moth.

How slow is Mark?
..[too many variations to list].
Old February 18th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Mark Thompson [email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

As ever, on such occasions, the topics of conversation were varied and
wide-ranging, including;

The accuracy of the BBC's weather forecast.

The disadvantages of following a bloke in boots through a bog
when you're wearing trainers.

The qualities of Bovril as a walker's tipple.

The sleazy tricks of Buxton's finest : a machine that refused to take
Chris's money for a full day's parking, followed by the inevitable
ticket when it expired too early. (Let me know if you want backup
for the complaint..)

The quality of northern chippies (and especially mugs of tea)

The need to box up your ego when passed by a ponytailed jogger in
the 20th mile of a walk.

Did you get her number Chris? -- like candles round a moth.

But strangely forgotten when it coincidentally happened 20 minutes
later ..

-adrian
Old February 18th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Chris Hill wrote

The route took in Axe Edge Moor, the Cat and Fiddle Pub, Errwood
Reservoir, Pym Chair, Windgather Rocks, and Combs village.

We were just down the road in the Dane valley. Fab day. Lovely
warm yellow sun with a bit of dramatic soft focus about it. 10 miles.

Chris

Old February 18th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Chris Hill wrote:
Today was "Long Walk" day. Myself, Adrian Godwin and Mark Thompson
walked a 20+ mile circular route starting and ending in Buxton,
Derbyshire. The route took in Axe Edge Moor, the Cat and Fiddle Pub,
Errwood Reservoir, Pym Chair, Windgather Rocks, and Combs village. I say
"20+" miles as there may be some disagreement between mine and Adrian's
GPSs. My Garmin Forerunner 301 gives a total distance of 24.91 miles.
I'm interested to know the figure Adrian's comes up with. Peak elevation
was 1748ft, and total walk time 8h 13m.

24.48 miles. Pretty close ! I'll send you the GPX file ..

All in all, a great day out, and nice to meet some urwers at last.

Seconded. Thanks, Chris.

-adrian
Old February 18th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Fran wrote:

oooh, let's see.

How lovely Fran is.

Good grief! Have we met?

You reputation goes before you, Fran ..

-adrian
Old February 18th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Mark Thompson [email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

Despite being the youngest, Chris and Adrian were pretty perky at the
end, whereas my legs were dropping off around the 14 mile mark. Too
their credit, they managed not to take the mick. Energy levels were
still up, and I enjoyed the walk despite the lack of leg muscles. I
sense a need to do a bit more walking before I venture out with these two
again :-)

Mark fails to point out that, not seeing the walk as sufficiently
challenging, he cycled 20 miles to the starting point.

Chris was so impressed at this multi-sport ability that he missed out
on the excellent chips to get in a few lengths of the bath(s)
before tea.

-adrian
Old February 19th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

The message
from Chris Hill contains these words:

My Garmin Forerunner 301 gives a total distance of 24.91 miles.
I'm interested to know the figure Adrian's comes up with. Peak elevation
was 1748ft, and total walk time 8h 13m.

But how many feet of ascent?

--
Roger Chapman
Old February 19th 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In message 63, Mark
Thompson [email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com
writes
The route took in [...] the Cat and Fiddle Pub,

Bloody liar! Chris wouldn't let us go in, not even for a single pint.

Err... it was closed, though.

"Dragged past, kicking and screaming" is a more accurate description.
This continued at _every_ _single_ pub we passed. The man is evil :-)

"Every single"? Pah! The only other pub we passed was The Beehive in
Combs. In that particular case I was saving you from yourself. Would you
*really* want to slog up the hill to The Whitehall Centre with even a
pint inside you?

Despite being the youngest, Chris and Adrian were pretty perky at the
end,

What you saw there may have been a demonstration of method acting...

whereas my legs were dropping off around the 14 mile mark. Too
their credit, they managed not to take the mick. Energy levels were
still up, and I enjoyed the walk despite the lack of leg muscles. I
sense a need to do a bit more walking before I venture out with these two
again :-)

So you don't fancy the same route again next weekend but in reverse?

--
Chris Hill