Sunny Day Out

Old February 19th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Sunny Day Out

In message , Adrian Godwin
writes
Mark Thompson
[email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_ to_reply*.com wrote:

As ever, on such occasions, the topics of conversation were varied and
wide-ranging, including;

The accuracy of the BBC's weather forecast.

The disadvantages of following a bloke in boots through a bog
when you're wearing trainers.

I really hate that bit of the route, but there's no sensible alternative
that I can see.

The qualities of Bovril as a walker's tipple.

And what was that about people putting vinegar in Bovril? Sounds a bit
perverse to me.

The sleazy tricks of Buxton's finest : a machine that refused to take
Chris's money for a full day's parking, followed by the inevitable
ticket when it expired too early. (Let me know if you want backup
for the complaint..)

I'm thinking it might just be easiest to pay up and let it go. In
retrospect I suppose I should have parked where you were when it became
obvious that the stupid machine wasn't co-operating.

The quality of northern chippies (and especially mugs of tea)

The need to box up your ego when passed by a ponytailed jogger in
the 20th mile of a walk.

Ah, but she did park at the top of the hill before running, rather than
running up from the bottom. Therefo ego salved.

--
Chris Hill

Old February 19th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In message , Chris Gilbert
writes
Chris Hill wrote

The route took in Axe Edge Moor, the Cat and Fiddle Pub, Errwood
Reservoir, Pym Chair, Windgather Rocks, and Combs village.

We were just down the road in the Dane valley. Fab day. Lovely
warm yellow sun with a bit of dramatic soft focus about it. 10 miles.

Brilliant, wasn't it? Unlike today peers out of window which is back
to gun-metal grey and slightly damp.
--
Chris Hill

Old February 19th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from Chris Hill contains these words:

My Garmin Forerunner 301 gives a total distance of 24.91 miles.
I'm interested to know the figure Adrian's comes up with. Peak elevation
was 1748ft, and total walk time 8h 13m.

But how many feet of ascent?

If I'm reading the software right, 3379ft.
--
Chris Hill

Old February 19th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Chris Hill wrote

Unlike today peers out of window which is back to gun-metal grey and
slightly damp.

Not to mention bleedin cold n'all

Chris

Old February 19th 06, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In that particular case I was saving you from yourself. Would you
*really* want to slog up the hill to The Whitehall Centre with even a
pint inside you?

Dutch courage works with girls, it'll work with hills too.

The question you should be asking is "Would you *really* want to slog up
the hill **without** a pint inside you?"

So you don't fancy the same route again next weekend but in reverse?

Sure. Legs are still aching -lots- so will be interesting to see how much
stronger they get. Should we time it so you meet that young lass out
walking her dog again?
Old February 19th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Chris Hill wrote:

24.48 miles. Pretty close ! I'll send you the GPX file ..

Excellent - I'll send you mine. Incidentally, do you know if yours
accounts for gradients? Mine doesn't AFAIK.

No, almost certainly not. But we had a discussion here a while back
that concluded normal gradients have very little effect on distance
other than slowing your progress, per Naismith's rule.

Even if it were 3000' straight up and down (with no horizontal
component) it would still add less than 5% to the 130,000' of
horizontal travel.

-adrian
Old February 19th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In message 63, Mark
Thompson [email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com
writes

So you don't fancy the same route again next weekend but in reverse?

Sure. Legs are still aching -lots- so will be interesting to see how much
stronger they get.

Ah... I was joking. Next weekend I will be mostly building a dry-stone
wall. Or, if it rains, playing Worms2.

Should we time it so you meet that young lass out
walking her dog again?

No need - I'll ask her when I see her tonight
--
Chris Hill

Old February 19th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In message , Adrian Godwin
writes
Chris Hill wrote:

24.48 miles. Pretty close ! I'll send you the GPX file ..

Excellent - I'll send you mine. Incidentally, do you know if yours
accounts for gradients? Mine doesn't AFAIK.

No, almost certainly not. But we had a discussion here a while back
that concluded normal gradients have very little effect on distance
other than slowing your progress, per Naismith's rule.

Even if it were 3000' straight up and down (with no horizontal
component) it would still add less than 5% to the 130,000' of
horizontal travel.

I can see the logic in that. I suppose it's the altitude v distance
graphs with highly unequal scaling of axes which gives the impression
that the gradients make a big difference.
--
Chris Hill

Old February 19th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from Chris Hill contains these words:

My Garmin Forerunner 301 gives a total distance of 24.91 miles.
I'm interested to know the figure Adrian's comes up with. Peak elevation
was 1748ft, and total walk time 8h 13m.

But how many feet of ascent?

If I'm reading the software right, 3379ft.

In which case it would have taken Naismith 10 hours to get round.

Well, a certain person had been taking pains to point out that they were
a "slow walker" and were afraid of holding the rest of us up. As it
turned out, that person kept up a constant brisk pace for the entire 25
miles and showed no signs of being "slow" at all!
--
Chris Hill

Old February 19th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Chris Hill wrote:

I can see the logic in that. I suppose it's the altitude v distance
graphs with highly unequal scaling of axes which gives the impression
that the gradients make a big difference.

Yes, I thought it would be relevant, but I was put right :-).

Despite how they feel at the time, the gradients are pretty gentle !

-adrian