SatMap

Old April 7th 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mason

Default SatMap

They've just reviewed the SatMap Active 10 GPS on the Gadget show along with
a Garmin and a Magellan, it came out rather well with the other two being
slow to update. It was really quick to enter a list of waypoints compared
with the

They praised its ease of use, even in thick gloves.

I suppose it all hinges on how seriously you take a review by the Gadget
show but all in all it did a lot better than I expected for some reason.

--
Regards
Nick

Old April 8th 08, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Terry Pinnell

"Mason" [email protected] wrote:

They've just reviewed the SatMap Active 10 GPS on the Gadget show along with
a Garmin and a Magellan, it came out rather well with the other two being
slow to update. It was really quick to enter a list of waypoints compared
with the

They praised its ease of use, even in thick gloves.

I suppose it all hinges on how seriously you take a review by the Gadget
show but all in all it did a lot better than I expected for some reason.

Was that this on 'five Life Plus 1', Wednesday 2nd April, 32:00 to
23:00? Do you know if the programme gets repeated?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 8th 08, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mason

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
"Mason" [email protected] wrote:

They've just reviewed the SatMap Active 10 GPS on the Gadget show along
with
a Garmin and a Magellan, it came out rather well with the other two being
slow to update. It was really quick to enter a list of waypoints compared
with the

They praised its ease of use, even in thick gloves.

I suppose it all hinges on how seriously you take a review by the Gadget
show but all in all it did a lot better than I expected for some reason.

Was that this on 'five Life Plus 1', Wednesday 2nd April, 32:00 to
23:00? Do you know if the programme gets repeated?

--

It was on CH5 last night at 20:00 I've no idea if it's repeated, actually
that's a lie, of course it'll be repeated. Everything is repeated, I just

Old April 8th 08, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

Mason wrote:
They've just reviewed the SatMap Active 10 GPS on the Gadget show along
with a Garmin and a Magellan, it came out rather well with the other two
being slow to update. It was really quick to enter a list of waypoints
compared with the

They praised its ease of use, even in thick gloves.

I suppose it all hinges on how seriously you take a review by the Gadget
show but all in all it did a lot better than I expected for some reason.

Most of the negative feedback on these has been about battery life,
which has apparently been addressed by a recent software fix that means
redundant screen refreshes are very significantly reduced, and computer
connection issues. The latter could be a rather major problem,
depending on your exact use of the machine.

As for waypoints... they're really an invention to let you tell a GPS
unit where you want to go. if you can see where you are on a map in any
case, I wonder to the exact degree to which they're actually useful?
Most of us don't cover our paper maps in little crosses, after all...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 8th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Alan White

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:16:29 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

As for waypoints... they're really an invention to let you tell a GPS
unit where you want to go. if you can see where you are on a map in any
case, I wonder to the exact degree to which they're actually useful?
Most of us don't cover our paper maps in little crosses, after all

I've often done that. I've even joined them up with pencilled lines and
written compass bearings against the lines. This, of course, was pre-GPS
and they were called waypoints which were invented long before the
advent of GPSs.
--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old April 8th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Peter Clinch wrote:

As for waypoints... they're really an invention to let you tell a GPS
unit where you want to go. if you can see where you are on a map in
any case, I wonder to the exact degree to which they're actually
useful?

I can think of lots of reasons. In some situations it may be easier to
follow an arrow rather than have to look closely at details on the map.
Also, it should report distance to the waypoint and ETE or ETA, which can be
very useful.

Perhaps more useful is when you plan a complex route in advance. If you plot
it out with connected waypoints you'll get a good overview and an estimate
of distance. It'll then serve as a constant reminder during the walk rather
than having to rely on memory.

Of course, it depends on how you prefer to navigate, but even if you tend to
wander off course and make up your route as you go along, it's still handy
to have reminders of key points you want to visit or pass through.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old April 8th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Was that this on 'five Life Plus 1', Wednesday 2nd April, 32:00 to
23:00? Do you know if the programme gets repeated?

It's probably available on the net somewhere. Most TV channels let you watch
or download programmes these days, don't they? I don't have an address
offhand.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old April 8th 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roger

The message
from "Mason" [email protected] contains these words:

It was on CH5 last night at 20:00 I've no idea if it's repeated, actually
that's a lie, of course it'll be repeated. Everything is repeated, I just
have no idea when. ;O)

I have just run the recording to see what was what and it was indeed
rather odd. The 3 we

The Magellan eXplorist 600 299.95

The Garmin Colorado 300 267.95

The Satmap Active 10 279.99

The test was following a long list of waypoints which had first to be
input manually. This gave the Satmap an unfair advantage as with the
1:25000 on the screen waypoints could be added as easily as on a
computer. The Garmin came last on all counts which may be down to the
clunkiness of the presenter as much as anything else but I wouldn't be
surprised if Garmin sued on the basis of this program with the clunky
presenter having to change batteries before even setting out and then
getting comprehensively lost.

I presume the maps for the Satmap cost the usual large fortune that
1:25000 digital OS does but that wasn't mentioned even in passing.

The 2 losing units were both claimed to update very slowly with the
Garmin taking minutes. Given that these 3 GPSs were claimed to be 3 of
the best I wonder why the inferior 2 performed so much worse than any of
the earlier generations I have come across.

--
Roger Chapman
Nearest Marilyn still to be visited - Great Orme.
Old April 8th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Terry Pinnell

"Paul Saunders" wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Was that this on 'five Life Plus 1', Wednesday 2nd April, 32:00 to
23:00? Do you know if the programme gets repeated?

It's probably available on the net somewhere. Most TV channels let you watch
or download programmes these days, don't they? I don't have an address
offhand.

Paul

I've now found it via DigiGuide. It's on Ch 5 again at 10:00-11:00 on
Sunday 13th April. I'll set the SKY+.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 8th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Terry Pinnell

"Paul Saunders" wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:

[...]

And for occasionally being able to quickly get a distant view of a
destination - "That's where we're heading for." - which is otherwise
sometimes difficult to do confidently.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Satmap Active 10 PeterC Walking in the UK 6 March 20th 08 12:48 AM
Satmap Active 10 GPS Jim Bennett Walking in the UK 1 December 2nd 07 06:42 PM
satmap gps Gwyn Walking in the UK 2 September 6th 07 11:23 PM
Satmap Active 10 GPS [email protected] Walking in the UK 6 May 21st 07 08:59 AM