rules of running

Old December 5th 03, 11:21 PM
schuburg

Default rules of running

1.- the 10% per week mileage increase rule
2.- the do-not-run-within-2-hours-of-eating rule
3.- the 1 minute slower than marathon pace rule
4.- the once a week speedwork rule
5.- the do-not-run-for-a-month-after-a-marathon rule
6.- the 90% of miles are easy miles rule

etcetera... what other rules can you think of?
Old December 5th 03, 11:47 PM
Miss Anne Thrope

You forgot "Don't go swimming less than an hour after having sex, or
you'll get crabs."

Old December 6th 03, 12:05 AM
Arbor77

You forgot "Don't go swimming less than an hour after having sex, or you'll
get crabs."

Not really up to your usual standards, is this? Care to try again? After all,
if you don't have anything to say, why say anything?
Old December 6th 03, 12:33 AM
SwStudio

"schuburg" wrote in message
1.- the 10% per week mileage increase rule

This rule makes little sense. If you are currently running
say, 50 miles a week, then within six months you will be
running over 200 miles a week.

2.- the do-not-run-within-2-hours-of-eating rule

I break this every day, and so does the majority of runners.
If it works for you, stick with it, but it's not for everyone. I
could personally eat a full plate of lasagne and run a 10
miler half an hour later.

3.- the 1 minute slower than marathon pace rule

.... meaning that this pace should be you regular training run
pace, I assume? For me, that would be about 7:30/mile.
This sounds reasonable, although again - running "rules"
don't work because everyone is different. I personally
do NO running slower than about marathon pace, ever.
This stimulus seems to work for me - although it does
not for a training partner of mine.

4.- the once a week speedwork rule

.... if you are at a certain level. A beginner would get injured
with this schedule, and an elite runner would get bored.

5.- the do-not-run-for-a-month-after-a-marathon rule

.... if you broke your leg or something running it, maybe! Who
told you to not run for a month after a marathon? Is this a
troll??

6.- the 90% of miles are easy miles rule

.... for what goal to be reached? At what point in training?

etcetera... what other rules can you think of?

How about "all runners are different, and there are no
hard, fast rules that can be applied to all of them."

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON)
www.allfalldown.org

Old December 6th 03, 01:23 AM
M1ahearn

1.- the 10% per week mileage increase rule

This rule makes little sense. If you are currently running say, 50 miles a
week, then within six months you will be
running over 200 miles a week.

Only if they make the increases mandatory.

Mike
Old December 6th 03, 01:34 AM
TopCounsel

1.- the 10% per week mileage increase rule

This rule makes little sense. If you are currently running say, 50 miles a
week, then within six months you will be
running over 200 miles a week.

Only if they make the increases mandatory.

Yeah, this "Rule" is usually stated to the effect that you should not increase
your weekly mileage by more than 10%. It is not a "rule" that says you should
increase your mileage every week by 10%!

As has been noted by others, a great deal of variability between runners on
this is found (I include myself, as I have found I can vary my mileage
considerably without too much ill effect). This "rule" may be meant mostly for
those relatively new to the sport...
Old December 6th 03, 01:49 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , M1ahearn wrote:
1.- the 10% per week mileage increase rule

This rule makes little sense. If you are currently running say, 50 miles a
week, then within six months you will be
running over 200 miles a week.

Only if they make the increases mandatory.

It makes little sense either way, because it permits doubling milage over a
2 month period. It's too permissive to be a reasonable restriction, and as
stated, it doesn't allow more than 10% week-to-week variation (so 42-38-42
is not allowed because there is a 10% increase in there)

Some improvements/refinements to this rule include 10% increase every 3 weeks,
or a 15% increase per month.

But that's somewhat beside the point -- a "rule" should make sense without a
lot of justification/reinterpretation.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old December 6th 03, 01:54 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , SwStudio wrote:
"schuburg" wrote in message

[snip]

Good points, but I think for most runners in their first year or two of
training, it would pay to follow most of the rules, with the exception of the
retarded 2 hr rule. The marathon pace rule needs to be replaced with something
else since most relative beginners don't have a marathon time or even a race
time, and the "10% rule" is just crap and needs to be replaced with something a
little less permissive (e.g. 10% every 3 weeks)

Cheers,
Old December 6th 03, 03:07 AM
Dave Andersen

schuburg wrote:
1.- the 10% per week mileage increase rule
2.- the do-not-run-within-2-hours-of-eating rule
3.- the 1 minute slower than marathon pace rule
4.- the once a week speedwork rule
5.- the do-not-run-for-a-month-after-a-marathon rule
6.- the 90% of miles are easy miles rule

etcetera... what other rules can you think of?

7) The "There's an exception to every rule" rule.
8) The "Rules were meant to be broken" rule.

-dave

--
work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com
MIT Laboratory for Computer Science http://www.angio.net/