Power vs. speed and its effect on muscles

Old September 28th 04, 09:59 PM
Gabriel

Default Power vs. speed and its effect on muscles

I have started running just recently, and there is a walking/jogging
track close to my home. The track is mainly flat, but I occasionally
go off the main track to run uphill as well as downhill. The main
reason is adding the strength factor to the run, as well as the
ability to handle an irregular track. I have noticed that although
running uphill demands more calories, my running is smoother, while a
flat surface can feel bumpier for the knees and head. (In an uphill
run, there is less of the hopping movement which generates the bumps)
That's the reason why I prefer running uphill instead of running
faster on a flat surface, using the same amount of energy. Would that
be a good choice for the strength factor, or would running fast on a
flat surface be better ?
Old September 29th 04, 12:49 AM
Barf Bag

Hills.
Old September 29th 04, 05:14 AM
Dan Stumpus

If you're serious, you need to do some fast running on all three:

uphill, flat, downhill.

Downhill fast stuff should be on dirt, not pavement, and be careful not to
overdo it. I do my speedwork on rolling dirt roads of 5 foot to 600 foot
hills, so I get all three.

If you race flat, you can get by without much hill work, at least in my
experience.

I race nothing but hilly courses, so I always train on hills of some form.

Yes, mild uphills feel very smooth, because of the lack of pounding. The
more you bounce when you run, the better uphill feels relative to flat.

As you get in better shape and incorporate speedwork, you may find that you
take smoother, quicker, less bouncy steps.

-- Dan

om...

Old September 29th 04, 10:35 AM
Barf Bag

I race nothing but hilly courses, so I always train on hills of some form.

Hills should be a part of everyones training, no matter if you race on them or
not. It makes the flat races much easier.
Old October 4th 04, 03:53 AM
ProfWdesk1

Running uphill is a lot easier on your body. The only thing is that it uses
your hamstrings and lower back more ... so you want to make sure stretching is
a part of your program .... and walking down the hill is good for a beginning
runner ... so, just enjoy ... Roy,
Old October 4th 04, 08:15 AM
Brilliant One

unning uphill is a lot easier on your body.

Pedalling fast, past
All yall ~
Uphill, yes ~
Here alas

uses
your hamstrings and lower back

Chords struck,
Magic harp ~
Higher, not [Arf] lower,
Where's that ****?!
Seen [Smack]Puck?
Would
[Meow]
You tell me,
If you do?
Edward [Slither]Gorey
Sent me over
[Tweeter sweeter]
Searching.
You see,
[Ruff]
I lost my way.
No one [Sparkle] cared,
[Sssssss]
Or came [Unleash] after me.
Enfant [Me!]perdue,
C'est [Hey!] moi ~
See!

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A