After reading this Group, I finally now incorporate squats/dead lifts/core strength exercises into my routines

Old May 2nd 04, 01:52 AM
LovingPerson

Default After reading this Group, I finally now incorporate squats/dead lifts/core strength exercises into my routines

Hi all:

I may have come across as stubborn when I first came to this
group saying that I would only do chest/arm exercises (I had planned
to only be a chest and arms man--however, many people told me to not
be that kind of man). After the group gave me some good pointers and
reason to incorport dead lifts, I started doing them sporadically.

Over the months, I have started to do more reading and learning.
Now my routine includes delts (shoulder presses, flies); incline bench
presses and flies; back rows; lat pull downs; crunches; calve lifts;
tricep and bicep. Furthermore, I have become a firm believer in core
strength exercises to include traditional deadlifts (NO stiff back
ones for me); and squats.

Also: (I don't know if this counts also as a core): I do inclined
bench presses (no flat bench ones). I hope that still counts as a
core strength exercise.

I came to the conclusion that dl and squats are good for me
because I read that they help with improved strength. The idea is
that if I have more overall strength, then I can do more reps with
higher weights in my other body parts.

So the point is: I just wanted to share my transformation in
thinking. I have been converted to a believer in the DL and Squat.
In fact, my gluts are feeling the effect of the lift I did today :-).
My goal will be to gain overall strength and tap into it when I work
out other body parts. It is my understanding that dl and squats
thickens a person up, which sounds like a good thing :-).

I want to give my thanks to the group. Without the groups's
pointers, I would have not known the importance of core strengthening.
On that note: if anyone has any other pointers for me or any other
core exercises that I haven't learned yet, please share. I am eager
to learn and 2 apply new knowledge into my routines. I think the more
one learns lift the right way, the more fun it becomes to work out. I
am already seeing lots of results and I want to continue to improve.

sicnerely. Loving Person.
Old May 2nd 04, 05:20 AM
Rambo Four Sythia

(LovingPerson) writes:

Over the months, I have started to do more reading and learning.
Now my routine includes delts (shoulder presses, flies); incline bench
presses and flies; back rows; lat pull downs; crunches; calve lifts;
tricep and bicep. Furthermore, I have become a firm believer in core
strength exercises to include traditional deadlifts (NO stiff back
ones for me); and squats.

You mean you aren't doing stiff-legged deadlifts? Just curious.

Also: (I don't know if this counts also as a core): I do inclined
bench presses (no flat bench ones). I hope that still counts as a
core strength exercise.

I don't know. It's a great exercise, though, so isn't it OK if it
isn't "core"? It's compound.

So the point is: I just wanted to share my transformation in
thinking. I have been converted to a believer in the DL and Squat.

Happy to hear it. I enjoy doing them and the strength improvements
that come from doing them.

In fact, my gluts are feeling the effect of the lift I did today :-).
My goal will be to gain overall strength and tap into it when I work
out other body parts. It is my understanding that dl and squats
thickens a person up, which sounds like a good thing :-).

Yeah. I am not going for size, but I am going for strength, and I've
gained about eight pounds over the past 3/4 year. I look a lot
different now, and I think a lot of that is having a back with some
substance.

--
R4S

Old May 2nd 04, 11:07 AM
LovingPerson

Rambo Four Sythia wrote in message ...
(LovingPerson) writes:

(NO stiff back
ones for me); and squats.

You mean you aren't doing stiff-legged deadlifts? Just curious.

yep. I don't do the stiff legged ones. :-). Thankyou for
correcting me. I want to use the right terminology. (I almost also
called lateral raises for shoulders flies. heheh). However, I think
it is good to learn the proper terminology. Paying attention to
lifting the right way, using the right terminology is all part of
serious weight training. I want to get on that train. :-)

Also: (I don't know if this counts also as a core): I do inclined
bench presses (no flat bench ones). I hope that still counts as a
core strength exercise.

I don't know. It's a great exercise, though, so isn't it OK if it
isn't "core"? It's compound.

cool. I was just curious because traditional flat bench presses
is something I don't do. I just do the inclined ones (mostly with
Dumbells). I have enough lower chest. My upper need to catch up :-)

In fact, my gluts are feeling the effect of the lift I did today :-).
My goal will be to gain overall strength and tap into it when I work
out other body parts. It is my understanding that dl and squats
thickens a person up, which sounds like a good thing :-).

Yeah. I am not going for size, but I am going for strength, and I've
gained about eight pounds over the past 3/4 year. I look a lot
different now, and I think a lot of that is having a back with some
substance.

Yeah! (on the heavy days) When I do Squat or DL, I go for 5
sets of 5. I do these low number of reps because I really want to
push up the weight (as much as possible) to get more strength. From
what I read, to get strength, you want to do 5 sets of 5 (low rep) and
consider a backoff set of 8. Does that sound correct?

thx in advance :-) Loving person.

Old May 2nd 04, 04:59 PM
LovingPerson

A little bit more on my squats yesterday:
It felt very good yesterday to push the weights all the way up. I
decided to use a machine that has a safety latch, since I didn't have
a spotter.

Using a machine allows me to feel secure that I can max out on the
weights. Even as of right now (24hr) after my lift, I feel sore all
in my glutes and quads and hamstring. I mean, it isn't even because I
have not been doing squats and deadlifts all along (albeit
sporadically), but because I really went for max weights (six 45 lbs
plates on this machine), I am reaping the reward of the feeling of a
great work out. I am imagining myself increasing core muscle
strength, and picturing my body producing growth hormones! For, I
have read that squats and deadlifts signals your body to produce
growth hormones which goes to grow all muscles (not just legs) in the
body.

I think it is a lot of fun to work on this goal of lifting right and
increasing overall strength. Reading magazine articles help a lot.
Always something new to try, which keeps the process fun.

I also read that Arnold used to squat until he puked. I got a small
glimpse of that possibility. I stopped myself short of puking, but I
have to say, I can totally see how it could happen :-).

Happy liftings.

Old May 2nd 04, 07:06 PM
Rambo Four Sythia

(LovingPerson) writes:

Yeah! (on the heavy days) When I do Squat or DL, I go for 5
sets of 5. I do these low number of reps because I really want to
push up the weight (as much as possible) to get more strength. From
what I read, to get strength, you want to do 5 sets of 5 (low rep) and
consider a backoff set of 8. Does that sound correct?

I think that it depends heavily on where you are in your training, but
yes, to focus on being able to lift more it is often helpful to do
lower reps.

After I've been lifting a year I plan to try incorporating some
triples and maybe doubles into my routine. Lyle recommended waiting a
year before doing really low rep sets.

I think his recommendation to wait is probably based on the fact that
during the first year you are likely to experience serious newbie
gains in muscle strength. During that time, you don't have much
experience (so you may do stupid things or have poor technique), and
your connective tissue has to get stronger too.

Connective tissue gets stronger more slowly than muscles do, so by
waiting a year you get a chance to work safely through your newbie
gains without connective tissue damage, gaining some experience in
lifting. Then you're ready to try things like heavy singles, doubles,
and triples with less risk of injury.

Right now I'm still doing two sets of five reps each, sometimes three
sets. I'm still making good gains with my routine, so I'm not
changing it. Occasionally, I'll do five sets of five for more
volume. It seems to help get me past plateaus.

You know about cycles, right? I've found it very important to cycle
back to lighter weights after I've gone a week without being able to
add weight.

--
R4S

Old May 2nd 04, 07:50 PM
Jeff Finlayson

LovingPerson wrote:
Rambo Four Sythia wrote
LovingPerson writes:

.. include traditional deadlifts (NO stiff back ones for me); and squats.

You mean you aren't doing stiff-legged deadlifts? Just curious.

yep. I don't do the stiff legged ones. :-). Thankyou for
correcting me. I want to use the right terminology.

I got your point before; You're doing deadlifts, not the stiff leg kind.

Keep up the good work. Carry on.

- CJF.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
Hardgainer question Martin Thompson Weights 109 October 7th 03 05:20 PM
Proper bench press technique Ted Theodoropoulos Weights 52 September 19th 03 07:11 PM
Supersets OA(E3!/.'O Fred Jones Aerobic 0 July 20th 03 05:14 AM