Manaudou breaks Evans' 400-meter mark

Old May 12th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Default Manaudou breaks Evans' 400-meter mark

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5601658

Associated Press

TOURS, France (AP) - Olympic champion Laure Manaudou of France broke
Janet Evans' 18-year-old world record in the 400-meter freestyle Friday,
finishing in 4 minutes, 3.03 seconds at the French national championships.

Manaudou beat the time of 4:03.85 set by Evans in winning the
400-meter freestyle at the Seoul Olympics on Sept. 22, 1988. The American
won three golds at those Olympics and one at the 1992 Barcelona Games.
"I don't really realize what I've done," Manaudou said. "It's when I
see on television that I hold a world record that it becomes more
emotional."

Manaudou, who had competed in earlier events Friday, said she was
inspired by media criticism.

"Because of that, I wanted to prove to the people who thought I
couldn't do it that I was capable," she said.

Evans still holds the 800- and 1,500-meter world records.

Manaudou won the 400 at the 2004 Athens Olympics for France's first
Olympic swimming gold in more than 50 years. She also won bronze in the
100-meter backstroke and silver in the 800-meter freestyle.

Old May 13th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"diablo" a écrit dans le message de news:
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5601658

TOURS, France (AP) - Olympic champion Laure Manaudou of France broke
Janet Evans' 18-year-old world record in the 400-meter freestyle Friday,
finishing in 4 minutes, 3.03 seconds at the French national championships.

Manaudou beat the time of 4:03.85 set by Evans in winning the
400-meter freestyle at the Seoul Olympics on Sept. 22, 1988. The American
won three golds at those Olympics and one at the 1992 Barcelona Games.

Amazing!

I am just curious to see what explanation Larry will now find to explain
this.

When I wrote that "Laure Manaudou is still a much better swimmer [than
Ziegler], on real distances, like the 400m or 800m", and added that she
didn't go to Shangai to concentrate on the french championships, he answered
that "Ziegler's American short course records constitute a greater
achievement than Manaudou's short course records", that "Ziegler broke the
short course records of the greatest distance swimmer in history, while
Manaudou broke lesser records", and that "Ziegler has now broken all of
Evans' short course records. Manaudou, in contrast, broke only records set
by lesser swimmers than Evans"...

This should set the record straight!

Go Laure!

-- Olivier (still waiting for Melbourne...)

Old May 15th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

What can I say?

It is a magnificent achievement by an obviously magnificent swimmer!

- Larry W

Old May 15th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Larry*Weisenthal wrote:

What can I say?

It is a magnificent achievement by an
obviously magnificent swimmer!

It was reported in the news that Janet Evans called the swim incredible
and offered her congratulations to Manaudou.

Old May 15th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

a écrit dans le message de news:
What can I say?

It is a magnificent achievement by an obviously magnificent swimmer!

- Larry W

Happy to see such a good sportsmanship!

-- Olivier

Old May 16th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"Michael Edey" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 May 2006 23:57:56 +0200, Silver0l wrote:

a écrit dans le message de news:
What can I say?

It is a magnificent achievement by an obviously magnificent swimmer!

- Larry W

Happy to see such a good sportsmanship!

-- Olivier

Oh there may be an american and a frenchman and some national pride
involved... but I think I can say with some confidence that such
performances behooves fans of the sport to cheer in awe regardless of
creed.

As long as there is no Angel Martino effect operating.

Old May 17th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:05:51 +0200, Silver0l wrote:

Well, it's not about national pride, it's just a reference to our discussion
in the "Ziegler's 4:33 in the 500 free" thread.

Larry was defending the value of Ziegler's record, I was arguing that
Manaudou was a better swimmer than Ziegler, and Larry disagreed.

The fact that Ziegler is american and Manaudou french is purely
coincidental... ;-)

Oh yes - I remember. On that note this Canadian would take this moment to
remind you, though, that he's neither American, nor French, but does find
it a fine time to be a fan.

--Mike

-- Olivier (still trying to figure out what : |~ means. Mute with a
beard?)

or drool perhaps?
Old May 17th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Her splits:
28.03 58.30 (30.27)
1:28.90 (30.60) 2:00.00 (31.10)
2:30.85 (30.85) 3:02.07 (31.22)