TR - Munros - Beinn Mhanach and Beinn a'Chreachain

Old July 31st 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Lindsay

Default TR - Munros - Beinn Mhanach and Beinn a'Chreachain

Beinn Mhanach and Beinn a'Chreachain

The start of this walk was Achallader Farm on the east side of the A82
north of Bridge of Orchy opposite Loch Tulla. The farm owner kindly
permits free parking within the farm yard a saving of around 3
kilometres if walking to and from the A82. However they do have a
container where you can contribute towards the Oban Mountain Rescue
Team, a worthwhile cause on its own, but even more so to keep the
parking area available to walkers.

I left my car, walked through the farm, and along a vehicle track to a
railway bridge. This bridge, which was for walkers only, had
obviously been repaired recently and once across it I followed a path
up the west side of the Allt Coire Achaladair. The path, which was
wet and boggy in places, led to a double corrie, firstly Coire
Achaladair and then Coire Daingean.

At the bealach above Coire Daingean I traversed below Beinn Achaladair
before descending to the bealach above Gleann Cailliche from where I
climbed over the east shoulder of Beinn a'Chuirn to another bealach
this time between Beinn a'Chuirn and Beinn Mhanach. From here it was
an easy walk to the summit cairn of Beinn Mhanach where a cold wind
was blowing.

I didn't remain long at this summit due to the wind and descended to
the head of Gleann Cailliche below the bealach I had used earlier. I
then climbed grassy slopes to my fourth bealach of the day situated
east of Beinn Achaladair from where I ascended the Munro Top Meall
Buidhe. Unfortunately I was now in the cloud with more wind and some
rain. I walked along a fairly level ridge followed by a slight
descent to a col and finally the ascent of Beinn a'Chreachain.

There were no views from this summit so I headed down the north-west
ridge above Coire an Lochain but as I did so the cloud began to lift
from the Coire revealing the north side of the ridge. I did not
travel as far as the 961 point where there was a path but descended
into the corrie where I joined the path at the side of the Allt Coire
an Lochain.

There were several areas closed off on this descent with deer
fences. Although there were stiles the marked route appeared to
continue down the burn side to the railway line where there was a low
underpass. Once on the north side of the railway line I lost any
path, if it existed, as I crossed some very wet vegetation where I
disturbed a lone stag.

I eventually found the path again which led to a footbridge, not shown
on my map, but it allowed me to cross the Water of Tulla and walk west
on the vehicle track on the north side of the river. At the ruin at
Barravourich another bridge, wide enough for vehicles but a bit
rotten, allowed me to re-cross the river and head back to Achallader
Farm arriving there just before another shower of rain.

Time taken - 7.5 hours.
Distance - 23 kilometres.
Height climbed - 1300 metres.

Photographs taken on walk can be seen here;
http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/ga...ly07/index.htm

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com