treadmill running = no pain, road running = pain; what gives?

Old November 30th 04, 06:19 PM
Marcus Holmes

Default treadmill running = no pain, road running = pain; what gives?

Some of you will remember my saga. I am slowly recovering from an ankle
injury last May. Took 5 months off, and just recently started ramping up.

So here's the story. I got to the point where I could run 5 miles on the
treadmill with no pain (semi-conservative ramp-up, about 10% a week -
sometimes I didn't follow but most of the time I did). This past
Thanksgiving I decided what the hell and I ran in our local 5 miler.
Literally from the first couple of steps my ankle began to hurt.

I haven't run since then and today decided to run on the treadmill until
my ankle started to hurt or I hit 5 miles, whatever came first. I ran 5
miles with no (or maybe just a bit of tingling) pain.

So my question is, what gives? Why can I run on the treadmill pain free
and not on the road? Is this an indication that I need new shoes (I
shouldn't, number of miles on them is low and I've been running in same
model for over 3 years)? Does it mean I need orthotics? Or does it just
mean I need to strengthen my ankle more by gradually working road work
into my recovery/training?

I'm thinking I almost need two running plans/strategies. The first is my
general 10% increases on the treadmill to get my base going and keep
building with lower impact. The other will be to intersperse road running
into the schedule to help rebuild the ankle tendons, bones, whatever.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiencecs when coming back from an
injury?

Thanks!
Old November 30th 04, 07:43 PM
FabulustRunner

Literally from the first couple of steps my ankle began to hurt.

Only a fool would continue to race under these conditions. Try to use your
brains, and know when it's time to NOT run. This is important in training, but
even more important in racing where the stresses are far greater.

So my question is, what gives?

The old lady accross the street, but make sure she takes her teeth out first.

Old November 30th 04, 10:50 PM
Terry R. McConnell

In article ,
Marcus Holmes wrote:
[...]

Have you done any easy running on the roads? You were comparing a race on
the roads (which hurt) with (presumably much easier) training runs on the
treadmill. It sure looks like your case argues for doing some road training
before jumping into a road race.

Treadmills seem to have a lot more cushioning than the roads. Also, you
can concentrate on good form (or bad form if you are favoring something)
more easily than when you are out on the road.

I vote for working some easy road training back into your program.

I'm thinking I almost need two running plans/strategies. The first is my
general 10% increases on the treadmill to get my base going and keep
building with lower impact. The other will be to intersperse road running
into the schedule to help rebuild the ankle tendons, bones, whatever.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiencecs when coming back from an
injury?

Thanks!

Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150
229B Physics Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc
Old December 1st 04, 12:41 AM
Marcus Holmes

Have you done any easy running on the roads? You were comparing a race
on the roads (which hurt) with (presumably much easier) training runs
on the treadmill. It sure looks like your case argues for doing some
road training before jumping into a road race.

Good suggestions. One thing I forgot to mention in the original post was
that my "race" was really just to be there, I actually did more of a jog.
But I think your advise is sound and will try to incorporate some light
jogs on the road into my schedule.

Thanks!
Old December 1st 04, 03:51 AM
JMA

"Marcus Holmes" wrote in message
So my question is, what gives? Why can I run on the treadmill pain free
and not on the road? Is this an indication that I need new shoes (I
shouldn't, number of miles on them is low and I've been running in same
model for over 3 years)? Does it mean I need orthotics? Or does it just
mean I need to strengthen my ankle more by gradually working road work
into my recovery/training?

I'm thinking I almost need two running plans/strategies. The first is my
general 10% increases on the treadmill to get my base going and keep
building with lower impact. The other will be to intersperse road running
into the schedule to help rebuild the ankle tendons, bones, whatever.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiencecs when coming back from an
injury?

I wasn't coming back from an injury, but I spent all of last winter on a
treadmill and then did a 5 mile road race the first weekend in March and
there was definitely a significant difference. I did a few outdoor runs in
the two weeks leading up to the race mostly to condition my lungs for the
cold air, but those were on snow covered lakes since the roads were too
risky.

I attributed the differences to the normal tradmill vs. road stuff - even
with an incline on the treadmill it's still a smooth and consistent surface.
The treadmill is cushioned. I also wear different shoes on a treadmill
(cushioned trainers) than on the road (stability/motion control).

Switching back to the road wasn't painful, just difficult. I hope you
figure out what's going on.

Jenn

Old December 1st 04, 04:28 AM
Dot

Marcus Holmes wrote:

Some of you will remember my saga. I am slowly recovering from an ankle
injury last May. Took 5 months off, and just recently started ramping up.

So here's the story. I got to the point where I could run 5 miles on the
treadmill with no pain (semi-conservative ramp-up, about 10% a week -
sometimes I didn't follow but most of the time I did). This past
Thanksgiving I decided what the hell and I ran in our local 5 miler.
Literally from the first couple of steps my ankle began to hurt.

I haven't run since then and today decided to run on the treadmill until
my ankle started to hurt or I hit 5 miles, whatever came first. I ran 5
miles with no (or maybe just a bit of tingling) pain.

Roads are harder and more uneven than treadmills. You may need to adjust
to the hardness of a road.

The other will be to intersperse road running
into the schedule to help rebuild the ankle tendons, bones, whatever.

Sounds like a plan. Running trails may also help, although beware of
lots of twisting if you're only used to tm running. You can strengthen
ankles / feet, if needed.

Dot

--
The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury.
- John Hardy

Old December 1st 04, 07:26 AM
Steve Hansen

Marcus Holmes wrote:
Some of you will remember my saga. I am slowly recovering from an ankle
injury last May. Took 5 months off, and just recently started ramping up.

So here's the story. I got to the point where I could run 5 miles on the
treadmill with no pain (semi-conservative ramp-up, about 10% a week -
sometimes I didn't follow but most of the time I did). This past
Thanksgiving I decided what the hell and I ran in our local 5 miler.
Literally from the first couple of steps my ankle began to hurt.

Treadmills are smooth and cushioned. Roads in most areas are
not very smooth, and are definitely not cushioned. Some are
very uneven, with lots of little potholes and stones.
Either smoothness or hardness can be a problem.

If you have adapted your stride to the cushioned treadmill,
you may be landing too heavy for the uncushioned surface.
But I would expect that to take a few thousand steps before it
becomes painful.

If you have adapted to a very smooth surface, you may need to
do some ankle exercise (on a balance board) to strengthen your
under-utilized muscles. The small muscles and tendons are
needed to stabilize the ankle, to prevent sprains. If they
are too weak for the angle of the landing, you can sprain
an ankle in a single step.

Since you did this to yourself in the first few steps,
my guess is that you sprained your ankle.

Steve