RCAF, Hogg on Abs

Old July 14th 03, 08:01 PM
Screachy Preachy

Default RCAF, Hogg on Abs

..

I checked out SPeacock's RCAF's 5BX site, which was quite
interesting, if not a little complicated. Clearly a labor of
dedication, altho much of the text on my computer was not quite
readable, being in a funny lite-blue.
Altho I haven't fully grokked the site yet, the emphasis seems
to be more on motion than on traditional calisthenics--not quite my cup
of tea, but no doubt a regimen worth considering or at least borrowing
from. The standards are graduated, and no joke: The upper levels
require a 5 minute mile (!!!!) for an A score!
You might see some similar-looking stuff on Winsor Pilates, et
al, but this RCAF stuff is in fact the real deal, while the Pilates
bidness is mostly chewing gum for the eyes.

But this site did talk about abs, and asserted their importance
in posture, etc., which I disagree with: that weak abs "cause" poor
posture and pot bellies, etc. etc.
Using myself as a guide, cuz lord knows, altho I can still suck
in my gut and look decent, it is getting harder and harder to do--and
the clock is ticking, cuz I still gotta make my videos for my folly
below. Or hire some tight-abbed peeples from Backstage magazine...
Plus, I gotta endure the razzing from the whole of my family...

But here's PROOF that abs are NOT much involved with the gut
business.
First, suck in yer belly, just like you were going out on a
first date. Fine, you look good--well, at least better....
BUT,
DAT was not yer abs!
DAT was yer DIAPHRAGM (I think--or maybe the simple force of
VACUUM of the lungs--hard to tell) pulling everything in: actually,
*pressing* in the intestines, organs, and whatever intra-peritoneal
fluids are present, and *dragging* along the subcutaneous fat layer
(between the skin and the muscle) along with it.
Actually quite effective: Ask David Hasselhoff on Baywatch.
Ask the 9/10 of America that sucks in their gut. Ask the morons who
suck in their gut even when they're sitting down!

NOW,
Do a little ab crunch, which is TENSING the stomach, as if you
were going to resist a blow to the belly. Measure your waist; you
should find that it is no different, perhaps even LARGER than when
untensed!
THIS is the action of the abs, and clearly they are not
responsible for decreasing the girth of the waist.

QED.

But here is another important question, which unfortunately is
not resolved by this little test:
How much of "the gut" is actual subcutaneous fat deposit, and
how much is intra-peritoneal pressure, ie, guts, water, etc.?
Actually, from a fitness POV, this is NOT an important
question, since either way developing abs will NOT address this issue.
But from a DIET POV, it is important, because if the issue is
intra-peritoneal, then not even dieting will "solve" the problem.

Man, I think I might be doomed... Anyone have the number for
Backstage Magazine handy?? I can still suck it in, but then I cain't
talk too good....

Mr. Bagnol: Signal-to-Noise ratio report, please?
Kristofer Hogg, ms, rd
HoloBarre Rehab/Fitness/Stretching Systems, Yonkers, NY
to email: Remove the numeric value of pi in my address