alternative exercises

Old November 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
Bob

Default alternative exercises

I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

Thanks.
-------
Bob )

Old November 23rd 03, 08:56 PM
Sooky Grumper

Bob wrote:
I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

Thanks.
-------
Bob )

Dumbbell squats/dumbbell bench press? Dumbbell lunges or step ups?

Old November 23rd 03, 09:00 PM
Mistress Krista

"Bob" wrote in message
I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no

spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

http://b_movie.tripod.com/in_shape.htm
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html (most exercises listed have
dumbbell variations)

Krista

--
--------------------
www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Old November 23rd 03, 09:02 PM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Bob wrote:

I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

you can find lots of dumbbell-specific exercises he

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Old November 23rd 03, 09:08 PM
Rambo Four Sythia

"Bob" writes:

I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

Hi, Bob. What are your goals? Do you have any equipment? Do you
have a budget for buying equipment you don't have? Where do you plan
to work out (inside/outside)?

I also work at home, outside, with free weights, no spotter
(sometimes), and no rack/cage. I've managed to do many exercises
safely, nonetheless.

--
R4S
Old November 23rd 03, 09:51 PM
Proton Soup

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:53:52 -0500, "Bob"
wrote:

I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

Yeah, like others have said, dumbells. And if you can do them,
pushups would be great way to add a safe, heavy press.

Someone else already mentioned step ups. I don't have a rack either,
so I've been doing a version of a step up where I don't lunge forward,
but just lift straight up with one leg. I'm a young guy, but I still
have stability problems on my left leg. You might want to use a
doorway or pole of some sort to hold onto for balance. I've recently
talked my mom into doing some deep knee-bends, and this is what she
does - uses the doorway. Over time, you can increase the height of
the stepup and/or hold a dumbell in one hand.

Proton Soup

Old November 23rd 03, 10:09 PM
OmegaZero2003

"Bob" wrote in message
I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no

spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

- Single leg squats using bodyweight; hold onto something initially then try
without holding onto something: One leg goes out in front near
straight-legged as you squat down on one leg. A VERY good exercise.

- Pullups/Chinups

- Pushups, Pushups with your feet on a bench or other raised platform.

- If you have a barbell; standing curls and military presses (press the bar
over your head from a starting position resting on your or near your
clavicle)

- Squatting down with back/shoulders against wall with a ball against your
midback (soccer or volleyball)

- Toe raises off a stair

- Rows - bent over; with either dumbells (single-armed - brace other arm on
a bench or similar platform) or barbell

Thanks.
-------
Bob )

Old November 23rd 03, 10:30 PM
Rambo Four Sythia

"OmegaZero2003" writes:

- Pullups/Chinups

A great exercise. Doing the negatives is good, too, if pulling
yourself up is too hard.

--
R4S
Old November 24th 03, 12:42 AM
Steve Freides

"Bob" wrote in message
I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no

spotter,
no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

Pavel's Power To The People program uses the deadlift and the sidepress,
neither of which requires anything but a barbell and a surface on which you
can drop it.

http://tinyurl.com/g2b9 && Power To The People!

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 24th 03, 01:36 AM
ff123

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:09:15 GMT, "OmegaZero2003"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
I am a 74 year old beginner to free weights. I work out at home, no
spotter, no rack (if that is the word). Do not want to join a gym, club.

Need suggestions for alternatives for squats and bench press.

- Single leg squats using bodyweight; hold onto something initially then try
without holding onto something: One leg goes out in front near
straight-legged as you squat down on one leg. A VERY good exercise.

I use the variation where the non-squatting foot is placed behind me
on my bench. Then I carry a dumbbell in each hand.

I do partial stiff-legged deadlifts with dumbbells to get more of my
hamstrings and lower back.

I currently favor one-armed dumbbell presses to the (dumbbell) bench
press because the latter seems to have been aggravating my rotator
cuff recently. I recently added external rotation exercises to
strengthen those muscles.

Dumbbell rows on my bench and pullups/chinups for back exercises.

ff123

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
Need Medicine Ball Exercises, please. Mike Weights 7 October 21st 03 01:27 AM
Ab Exercises Jose Luiz Weights 11 October 14th 03 01:57 AM
Proper bench press technique Ted Theodoropoulos Weights 52 September 19th 03 08:11 PM