Name of this lift?

Old October 2nd 10, 07:40 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Existential Angst[_2_]

Default Name of this lift?

Awl --

I know what a clean/jerk is, a snatch, deadlift, etc.

But what do you call the normal "workout lift", when you lift the weight off
the ground to mid-thigh, "clean" it to your chest, and then press up?

It seems to me that this is the most common lift among people "just working
out", but I've never seen it given a name.
--
EA

Old October 2nd 10, 09:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

On Sat, Oct 02 2010, Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

I know what a clean/jerk is, a snatch, deadlift, etc.

But what do you call the normal "workout lift", when you lift the
weight off the ground to mid-thigh, "clean" it to your chest, and then
press up?

It seems to me that this is the most common lift among people "just
working out", but I've never seen it given a name.

I call it a power clean if I don't drop into a squat on the catch. As
such, I almost always do power cleans. It sounds like you are talking
about power cleans followed by a military press. If you bounce the
weight up a bit, then it becomes a push press.

At least that is what I call them.

Jason
Old October 2nd 10, 10:36 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Jason Earl wrote:
On Sat, Oct 02 2010, Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

I know what a clean/jerk is, a snatch, deadlift, etc.

But what do you call the normal "workout lift", when you lift the
weight off the ground to mid-thigh, "clean" it to your chest, and
then press up?

It seems to me that this is the most common lift among people "just
working out", but I've never seen it given a name.

I call it a power clean if I don't drop into a squat on the catch. As
such, I almost always do power cleans. It sounds like you are talking
about power cleans followed by a military press. If you bounce the
weight up a bit, then it becomes a push press.

At least that is what I call them.

Jason

A clean followed by a press has name: clean and press, often abbreviated
c&p. I wouldn't call it common by any means, though. Clean and press,
clean and pushpress, clean and jerk - some people do them in that order
because you can use the same weight for what functions a lot like a drop
set. When you get too tired to strict press, you push press, and when
you get too tired to push press, you jerk.

The c&p was contested in the Olympics (and elsewhere), along with the
snatch and the clean and jerk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8svOg9c9o

I think the press was eliminated in the early 1970's.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old October 3rd 10, 05:49 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Existential Angst[_2_]

"Jason Earl" wrote in message
On Sat, Oct 02 2010, Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

I know what a clean/jerk is, a snatch, deadlift, etc.

But what do you call the normal "workout lift", when you lift the
weight off the ground to mid-thigh, "clean" it to your chest, and then
press up?

It seems to me that this is the most common lift among people "just
working out", but I've never seen it given a name.

I call it a power clean if I don't drop into a squat on the catch.

However, I don't think a power clean stops with the weight at the thighs,
iow, it's one motion, right?

The lift I'm talking about is three distinct lifts: 1/3 dead lift, 1/3
clean (from thighs), 1/3 press/push press.

I've referred to it as a modified clean/press, but "modified" is not the
clearest adjective.
--
EA

As
such, I almost always do power cleans. It sounds like you are talking
about power cleans followed by a military press. If you bounce the
weight up a bit, then it becomes a push press.

At least that is what I call them.

Jason

Does this lift have a name? rev Weights 1 December 30th 04 05:36 PM
Can someone tell me how much and how often I should lift?? Cormac Weights 3 September 21st 04 01:40 PM
Which lift allows... Jim Weights 20 September 25th 03 09:24 AM
Which lift allows... Brad General 0 July 16th 03 11:03 AM
Which lift allows... Peter Lizak General 0 July 16th 03 09:56 AM