Low carb diets

Old December 15th 03, 05:01 PM

Default Low carb diets

I'm such a skeptic about diet and nutritional claims (because so many
are bogus) but am interested in this Low carb mania that seems to be
popular these days.

I notice that in the supermarkets there are new products touting
themselves as "Low Carb" with the insinuation that that will help with
weight control.

As I understand it, low carb foods tend to lessen the "amplitude" of
blood insulin levels which can cause hunger signals and consequently
cause a person to eat more. If that's true, isn't the bottom line STILL
calories "in" versus calories "out" or is there something else that the
low carb diet does?

--
Please post and reply to
Old December 15th 03, 05:09 PM
RichardH

as far as I know you are right minus the hunger... I have been on a low carb
for nearly a week now and I am not rungry at all ...

I just eat meat and eggs all the time, its great ....

things I miss are chewing gum and Bread

Old December 15th 03, 08:29 PM
Trent Duke

The low carb diet craze is nothing new. It's been around for several
decades. Dr. Atkins has simply reintroduced it in a marketing way that made
sense to many, hence it caught on.

Does it work? Sure it does cause the average caloric intake per person has
increased to over 3000 a day. Atkins sample day of food caloric intake is
less than 2000. So if do the plan you are gonna lose weight cause you are
EATING LESS...not all due to "low carbs."

You take those same calories and reduce fat intake and simple carbs while
keeping those important complex carbs, you are still gonna lose about the
same amount of weight over a 12 month period. Most studies prove this.

Either way, exercising is crucial and many of those on low carb plans forget
that. When exercising you NEED complex carbs...the good carbs.

An increase in fiber intake to at least 30g a day is also crucial.

A diet (doesn't always mean to lose weight) is a lifestyle. You must decide
for yourself which is better for you and to get you to your goals. I
personally do not think the extreme low carb diet is the route to go cause
it is very hard to do long term.

In regards to those low carb foods, you have to be careful, cause unless
they are low in calories where you are reducing your overall caloric intake
for your active lifestyle, they aren't gonna do much for you in losing
weight.

HTH a little

Trent

-- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @

Newsgroups:
sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.diet.weigh****chers, alt.support.diet,misc.fitnes
s.weights

Old December 15th 03, 08:51 PM
Proton Soup

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:01:35 GMT, wrote:

I'm such a skeptic about diet and nutritional claims (because so many
are bogus) but am interested in this Low carb mania that seems to be
popular these days.

I notice that in the supermarkets there are new products touting
themselves as "Low Carb" with the insinuation that that will help with
weight control.

As I understand it, low carb foods tend to lessen the "amplitude" of
blood insulin levels which can cause hunger signals and consequently
cause a person to eat more. If that's true, isn't the bottom line STILL
calories "in" versus calories "out" or is there something else that the
low carb diet does?

Where was all the concern about the high-carb diets?

Where was all the concern about the no-fat diets?

Proton Soup

Old December 15th 03, 09:35 PM
Roger Zoul

Patricia Heil wrote:
:: A report by JAMA said it's just another variety of reduced
:: calorie eating plan and it has all the problems of other
:: specialty diets, namely people get bored with the selection
:: and stop following it.

There are ways to mitigate getting bored with the selection. I find the
selection is quite wide. And, on occasion, I eat whatever I want. I just
make sure that 90 % of the time I'm on LC with a wide selection of food
items.

::
:: Start an exercise program and get a referral to a registered
:: dietitian for help with choosing and cooking foods right.

Exercise program = good. Referall to registered dietitian = nuts.

::
:: wrote:
:::
::: I'm such a skeptic about diet and nutritional claims (because so
::: many are bogus) but am interested in this Low carb mania that seems
::: to be popular these days.
:::
::: I notice that in the supermarkets there are new products touting
::: themselves as "Low Carb" with the insinuation that that will help
::: with weight control.
:::
::: As I understand it, low carb foods tend to lessen the "amplitude" of
::: blood insulin levels which can cause hunger signals and consequently
::: cause a person to eat more. If that's true, isn't the bottom line
::: STILL calories "in" versus calories "out" or is there something
::: else that the low carb diet does?
:::
::: --
::: Please post and reply to

Old December 15th 03, 10:14 PM
Lady o' the house

I started low carbing 2 months ago because I didn't feel good. I was a
'pasta and pretzel queen' and I was hungry all the time. My brother has
lost about 50 pounds on the Atkins diet and he persuaded me to try it. I
definitely feel better eating fewer carbs and I have lost 16 pounds. Low
carbing may not work for everyone but it's working for me.

If you are interested in first reading about low carb dieting (I did so
before starting), check out Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution or one of the
other low carb diet books (you can find titles on Amazon.com---just search
for low carb diet).

Linda

Old December 15th 03, 11:06 PM
Lyle McDonald

Patricia Heil wrote:

A report by JAMA said it's just another variety of reduced
calorie eating plan and it has all the problems of other
specialty diets, namely people get bored with the selection
and stop following it.

Start an exercise program and get a referral to a registered
dietitian for help with choosing and cooking foods right.

RD's will guarantee that you never make progress.
Great advice, Patricia!

Lyle

Old December 15th 03, 11:06 PM
Lyle McDonald

Lady o' the house wrote:

I started low carbing 2 months ago because I didn't feel good. I was a
'pasta and pretzel queen' and I was hungry all the time. My brother has
lost about 50 pounds on the Atkins diet and he persuaded me to try it. I
definitely feel better eating fewer carbs and I have lost 16 pounds. Low
carbing may not work for everyone but it's working for me.

If you are interested in first reading about low carb dieting (I did so
before starting), check out Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution or one of the
other low carb diet books (you can find titles on Amazon.com---just search
for low carb diet).

No, don't check out Atkins book, it's a piece of ****.
Get Protein Power by the Eades. It only has one or two errors in it.

Lyle

Linda

Old December 15th 03, 11:15 PM
gman99

wrote:
I'm such a skeptic about diet and nutritional claims (because so many
are bogus) but am interested in this Low carb mania that seems to be
popular these days.

I notice that in the supermarkets there are new products touting
themselves as "Low Carb" with the insinuation that that will help with
weight control.

As I understand it, low carb foods tend to lessen the "amplitude" of
blood insulin levels which can cause hunger signals and consequently
cause a person to eat more. If that's true, isn't the bottom line STILL
calories "in" versus calories "out" or is there something else that the
low carb diet does?

Low carb / low fat....doesn't matter. The ONLY way to lose / maintaina /
gain weoght is to create a calorie deficit / balance / surplus !!!!

If you want to lose weight the probable best way is to do a little more and
eat a little less...PERIOD. There's nothing magical about ANY diet plan,
just remember there's nothing temporary about it. Losing weight and
maintaining a lower weight typically requires a LIFESTYLE change....FOR
LIFE !!

Eat a little less and do a little more would work for tha majority of
people...it's THAT freakin' simple !!