oldest pair of walking boots

Old October 28th 04, 03:27 PM
therebel

Default oldest pair of walking boots

come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

Old October 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Paul Saunders

therebel wrote:

come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots
still in use on a regular basis?

I think Roger's a good candidate there!

My current Brashers have been in use since 1995, but now have holes in
the leather so are completely useless on any walk involving moisture.
I've finally replaced them a few days ago.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Old October 28th 04, 03:57 PM
Peter Clinch

therebel wrote:
come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

My Scarpa Fitzies were bought sometime around 1987, probably late
summer/autumn. I'd be quite surprised if someone can't beat that though.

Their longevity is in part due to yeti gaiters (finishing off their
third pair now) and completely successful resoling, plus I only use them
in winter conditions so you might want to argue about "regular".

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old October 28th 04, 04:58 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the wonderful
person therebel said
come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

For values of 'walking boot' which include 'Daisy Roots' (not
comfortable, but you can walk in them) I have a pair which I think date
back to 1987 or so. Mind you, they spent several years 'resting', and
are now on their last legs (but then, so am I).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old October 28th 04, 08:05 PM
Roger

The message
from "Paul Saunders" contains these words:

come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots
still in use on a regular basis?

I think Roger's a good candidate there!

I may well have candidates for the oldest boots (over 30 years old) but
they are not in regular use and I really should get round to throwing
most of them out. I did after all stop wearing most of them because they
were pretty well worn out. :-)

My current boots are only about a year old. My previous pair are still
in use occasionally and almost cost me a big toe nail within the last
few months (they are a bit small) but they are I think only 3 or 4 years
old. The pair prior to that which are still useable (but not made to
measure) are probable 15 or more years old by now. Now that I have given
up on Altberg I may return to them when the current pair fall to bits in
a few years time if my knees haven't done much the same by then.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 69 summits
New - 47 (Marilyns 13, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 35)
Old October 28th 04, 08:31 PM
Forester

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

therebel wrote:
come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

My Scarpa Fitzies were bought sometime around 1987, probably late
summer/autumn. I'd be quite surprised if someone can't beat that though.

Their longevity is in part due to yeti gaiters (finishing off their
third pair now) and completely successful resoling, plus I only use them
in winter conditions so you might want to argue about "regular".

Pete.

Yes, I bought mine in 1984 as a student at Durham University from the
scout shop. They fit better than any pair of footwear I've ever worn and
are wonderfully moulded to my feet.

However ----- left in the boot of a hot car one summer and the vibram
sole came away. So the new sole is only 3 or 4 years old. Realised too a
few years ago that although very attached to these boots that have never
given me a blister (I kid not), been worn in snow, ice (with crampons),
beaten up in heather and through bogs (keeping feet fairly dry too),
they are on the heavy side!! To make matters worse the top hooks have
pulled away and the boots are now relegated to short walks in the woods
at the back of us. I think it is time to wave a sad good-bye to them!

I'm now a committed walking shoe wearer now anyway.

Old October 28th 04, 09:15 PM
Robert Hill

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" wrote in message
Bitstring , from the wonderful
person therebel said
come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

For values of 'walking boot' which include 'Daisy Roots' (not comfortable,
but you can walk in them) I have a pair which I think date back to 1987 or
so. Mind you, they spent several years 'resting', and are now on their
last legs (but then, so am I).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

I have a pair of La Dolomite boots in excellent order. Purchased circa 1975,
but used these days sporadically. Back in the mid 70s to mid 80s they
trawled over many a mile in the Welsh Hills. The Vibram soles still look
good, testament to the grassy Carneddau, I suppose!

Robert Hill

Old October 28th 04, 10:41 PM
Phil Cook

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:57:32 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:

therebel wrote:
come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

My Scarpa Fitzies were bought sometime around 1987, probably late
summer/autumn. I'd be quite surprised if someone can't beat that though.

Their longevity is in part due to yeti gaiters (finishing off their
third pair now) and completely successful resoling, plus I only use them
in winter conditions so you might want to argue about "regular".

Well that's about twice a yerar these days. :-(

Christmas and regularly

Pete.

Old October 28th 04, 10:43 PM
Phil Cook

therebel wrote:
come on then, who out there has the oldest pair of walking boots still in
use on a regular basis?

My Scarpa Fitzies were bought sometime around 1987, probably late
summer/autumn. I'd be quite surprised if someone can't beat that though.

Their longevity is in part due to yeti gaiters (finishing off their
third pair now) and completely successful resoling, plus I only use them
in winter conditions so you might want to argue about "regular".

Well that's about twice a year these days. Christmas happens regularly
once a year :-)
Old October 28th 04, 10:57 PM
Phil Cook

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:41:55 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

Well that's about twice a yerar these days. :-(

Christmas and regularly

Pete.

Soz! Inadvertent key press resulted in premature sending.
--
Phil Cook