lap counting

Old September 2nd 03, 10:06 PM
MJuric

Default lap counting

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:59:10 GMT, "Mark C" wrote:

New swimmer. Have been using my running watch to count laps, but that takes
stopping, or at least wrecking your glide. I can't possibly keep a lap
count correctly in my head through a long workout when I'm also counting
stokes, focusing on this or that stroke improvement, etc...

What do you do?

Do you think there's a market for a high-tech device of some sort to do it
for you?

Mark

Why yes I believe there is market for it. You may want to
check this out.
http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/product...45B645174051B2

They also have a cheaper model here. Never used either but have been
tempted. I'm afraid I may be called a techno geek entering teh pool
with the HR monitor and lap counter on though.

~Matt
Old September 2nd 03, 11:29 PM
curt

I can't keep track of laps either. Here are two others that I was thinking
about. It would seem to me the smaller the better.

http://www.worldwideaquatics.com/cat...t.asp?PID=1707

http://www.montecitosports.com/produ...im/Speedo.html

You should be able to get them for $19.95 USD. I am thinking of getting
one. I am just swimming time at the moment and don't know how far I am
going yet.

Curt

om...

Old September 2nd 03, 11:40 PM
DaKitty

MJuric wrote in message ...
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:59:10 GMT, "Mark C" wrote:

New swimmer. Have been using my running watch to count laps, but that

takes
stopping, or at least wrecking your glide. I can't possibly keep a lap
count correctly in my head through a long workout when I'm also counting
stokes, focusing on this or that stroke improvement, etc...

What do you do?

Do you think there's a market for a high-tech device of some sort to do

it
for you?

Mark

Why yes I believe there is market for it. You may want to
check this out.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/product...False&HSLB=Fal
se&mscssid=E48C4336BE6146F68B45B645174051B2

They also have a cheaper model here. Never used either but have been
tempted. I'm afraid I may be called a techno geek entering teh pool
with the HR monitor and lap counter on though.

~Matt

I have one of those, found it to be impractical.
I end up breaking my laps into counting sets.
Like, I learn that I don't usually forget what lap I'm on until I get past
5.
So a 2000 is 4 sets of 5 laps.

Saturday I swam 1650 Yards in a 25 yard pool. That was 33+3 laps.
So I counted a set of 3 first, then a set of 10, two sets of 5 and another
set of 10.
I don't want to swim those 3 lonely laps at the end. They felt much better
as a warm-up

10 laps can also be broken down into 4,3,2,1 laps. It's easier to keep track
of it that way.
15 laps is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. 30 laps is that, done 2 times.
6, 5, 4, 3, 2 is 20 laps...

Little counting mental games.

Old September 3rd 03, 12:28 AM
gwydion

Use a watch with stopwatch, and pay attention to the elapsed
time. It's pretty easy to count laps by keeping track of the
time. E.g., if you hit 15 minutes and you average 1:30 per 100,
you are at 1000 yds. You only need to pay enough attention to
know that you aren't swimming way off of your normal pace, and do
a little simple math in your head. With a little practice, you
can get a quick peek at the watch without stopping whenever you
turn.

Old September 3rd 03, 12:32 AM
curt

"gwydion" wrote in message
Use a watch with stopwatch, and pay attention to the elapsed
time. It's pretty easy to count laps by keeping track of the
time. E.g., if you hit 15 minutes and you average 1:30 per 100,
you are at 1000 yds. You only need to pay enough attention to
know that you aren't swimming way off of your normal pace, and do
a little simple math in your head. With a little practice, you
can get a quick peek at the watch without stopping whenever you
turn.

I thought about this. I may give this a go like you stated and not spend
the money on a counter. I was thinking I would probably only use the
counter once in a while when I felt my speed was getting faster.

Curt

Old September 3rd 03, 03:21 AM
Mark C

Oh, this makes all kinds of sense. I really have no business counting laps
precisely when I'm in danger of losing count, so a good estimate is fine
anyway. On intervals, I can hit the watch button.

I'll work on my watch-glancing skills in turns after I figure out how to do
a turn. :-)

I've read that people don't like wearing the finger thing. I was imagining
a device that would set up at the end of the lane and have a display big
enough to be visible (perhaps under water), and it'd sense your touches. I
thought I might sic my retired inventor Dad on the idea. Though he'd
probably angle for a goggle-display. :-)

Mark
(2500m exactly yesterday, hitting the damned watch button 50 times)

Old September 3rd 03, 03:39 AM
de Valois

Mark C left this mess on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:59:10 GMT for The Way to clean up:

New swimmer. Have been using my running watch to count laps, but that takes
stopping, or at least wrecking your glide. I can't possibly keep a lap
count correctly in my head through a long workout when I'm also counting
stokes, focusing on this or that stroke improvement, etc...

What do you do?

Do you think there's a market for a high-tech device of some sort to do it
for you?

Yes.

We used to call them "fingers". Useful for opening cans of cat food as well.

If you're really intelligent, you can count off every other lap and then
multiply by two.

Tao te Carl

"It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl (c) 2003

Old September 3rd 03, 05:37 AM
Jason O'Rourke

Mark C wrote:
Oh, this makes all kinds of sense. I really have no business counting laps
precisely when I'm in danger of losing count, so a good estimate is fine
anyway. On intervals, I can hit the watch button.

In that case, just swim for a set period of time. Just count every now
and then if you're checking for trends.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Old September 3rd 03, 02:28 PM
Chris Lambert

de Valois wrote:

We used to call them "fingers". Useful for opening cans of cat food as
well.

Although if you use them for opening cans you need to be careful to avoid
the sharp edges - otherwise there is a danger they will stop being useful
for counting.

--
Chris Lambert (http://web.trout-fish.org.uk/)
Calculating in binary code is as easy as 01,10,11.

Old September 3rd 03, 03:13 PM
MJuric

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:40:28 -0700, "DaKitty"
wrote:

MJuric wrote in message ...
[...]

Counting doesn't seem to work for me. I end up paying
attention to my stroke, glide off the wall etc adn forget what lap I'm
on. It's much easier for me to just remeber to click something. I try
to do this with my HR monitor but it's a bit difficult as it takes
both hands.

~Matt