How Cold Is Too Cold?

Old December 10th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.running
Tim Daneliuk

Default How Cold Is Too Cold?

Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too run?
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Old December 10th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.running
Robert Grumbine[_2_]

In article , Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too run?

I've been out in -25F with windchill ca. -40. I expect Dot has
been out in temperatures lower than that windchill.

If you dress appropriately, it's ok.

--
Robert Grumbine http://moregrumbinescience.blogspot.com/ Science blog
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much
Old December 10th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.running
I2Run

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
| Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too run?

Nah, whole bunch of us raced a 10K on the last New Year's day
in just about the same conditions on snow & icy roads.
Dress appropriately as everyone else here had pointed out.

Old December 10th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.running
Tim Daneliuk

On 12/10/2009 2:50 PM, Dot wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too run?

Tim, I thought you were from Fairbanks earlier in life?

Hrmmmfff - Kodiak, thank you very much

Dress up, vaseline face, and go for it. Be sure to use some sort of wind
shells or wind resistant stuff top and bottom.

I plan to. I am currently almost recovered from a cold. I ran for
the first time in a week yesterday (10K) and decided today
not to push it two days in a row. It's killin' me not to go
out today but discretion is occasionally the better part of valor.

Incidentally, do you prefer petroleum jelly over other face creams,
and, if so, why? Even when I ski in the very cold, I generally only
use face creams to protect my handsome good looks (and my humility)...

We had about a week of subzero F temps before Thanksgiving. Very
foreboding to get that cold (-15F but warmed to -10F before I went out)
that early. Then it shot up to 40F and rained. It seems to be
stabilizing in the 0-20F range right now with decent snow pack. This is
good.

IOW, typical Alaskan weather: You don't like it? Wait 10 minutes.

Have fun!

Dot

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Old December 11th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.running
mark cleary

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too run?

Dress right with gortex and layers it can be done. I use petroleum jelly
on the face and neck. My PR was -8 with some wind and we ran up and down
a street that block all the wind. I think this was in the 1990's and we
manage 10 miles.

Today with ice and 3 degrees with high wind chill it was 10 miles on the
treadmill. Sounds boring but with a heart rate monitor you can sort of
have fun and have distractions. I bought a treadmill 2 years ago after
29 years of never using a treadmill. I must say I really do like it but
not really for the weather except ice that is bad. I run early in the
morning and I hate the dark. If is was daylight I probably would go out
but it does not get daylight till 7:15 am.

--
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church
Old December 11th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message
Tim Daneliuk:
Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too run?

Nah, not if you're dressed properly.

Agree

I wouldn't choose to make it my long run day though. :-)

We run on Saturday regardless and only ice will cancel the run. The
coldest we have run is -10 and yes, there was some wind.

Old December 11th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Robert Grumbine" wrote in message
In article , Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Temp today is 5F with the windchill in -10F region. Too cold too
run?

I've been out in -25F with windchill ca. -40. I expect Dot has
been out in temperatures lower than that windchill.

Yo Roberto, long time no post! Good to see you back, even if briefly.

What's shakin' with your running?

-Doug

Old December 11th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message
Doug:
We run on Saturday regardless and only ice will cancel the run. The
coldest we have run is -10 and yes, there was some wind.

You and Tim Downie should team up to run with this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madoDvtKEes

That looks like Tim!!!!

I was cold just watching. Vaseline on my mug and proper number of
layers and out the door. It only takes a fews minutes to warm up. The
secret is not to go overboard with layers sweat so much that you
freeze your ass off.

-Doug

Old December 11th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Dot" wrote in message
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
I've never been convinced that
vaseline actually prevents frostbite if it gets cold enough or windy
enough.

Me either but I found it's good to about -15 and we don't get much
colder such that I would need a balaclava. Only one of the 20 that I run
with in the winter wears a facemask but he wears tights when it drops to
60F.

As for my hands, I have a little Raynaud's. The people living in Pt.
Barrow would be jealous of my mittens.

Even when I ski in the very cold, I generally only
use face creams to protect my handsome good looks (and my
humility)...

Does it work Tim? After a winter of cold you must be ready for the cover
of RW or RT.

-D

Old December 11th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.running
Tim Daneliuk

On 12/11/2009 1:04 AM, Dot wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 12/10/2009 2:50 PM, Dot wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Even when I ski in the very cold, I generally only
use face creams to protect my handsome good looks (and my humility)...

What do you use?

I use whatever random skin cream I find in my ski bag. My only
requirement is that it not have intense perfume like so many
cosmetics (for men and women both) seem to insist upon.

Incidentally, the most terrified I've ever been was skiing Alyeska
on the last run of the day. One of the lifts was broken so I was
directed to another ... which took me to an advanced mogul run which
I was in no way prepared to ski. Then a whiteout set in. So, I had:
a) Long racing skis on moguls, b) Very little light because of the
lateness of the day, and c) No contrast or visibility because of the
whiteout. It was a very exciting 45 minutes down that hill ...
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Want to run in the cold? Roeret Running 0 October 27th 06 10:26 PM
Dog question: how cold is too cold? Dally Weights 29 January 27th 06 10:59 PM
I've got a cold... np426z Running 14 September 17th 04 08:15 PM
cold jim gravity Running 5 January 17th 04 04:45 AM
cold jim gravity Running 14 January 11th 04 05:32 AM