basecamp Great Moss LD

Old December 2nd 04, 10:16 PM
theo

Default basecamp Great Moss LD

I'm planning a trip to the Lakedistrict in June 2005 with 2 friends and we
want to do some wildcamping. My friends prefer making a basecamp at Great
Moss and doing daytrips from there but I don't like the idea of leaving my
tent unattended in a much visited spot like Great Moss. Is there much chance
of your tent being nicked ? There were some reports in urw of tents being
stolen in recent years. We all use one man tents and I prefer to take the
tent with me and make camp in a different spot each day.
TIA
--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

Old December 2nd 04, 10:33 PM
Peewiglet

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:16:42 +0100, "theo"
wrote:

I'm planning a trip to the Lakedistrict in June 2005 with 2 friends and we
want to do some wildcamping. My friends prefer making a basecamp at Great
Moss and doing daytrips from there but I don't like the idea of leaving my
tent unattended in a much visited spot like Great Moss. Is there much chance
of your tent being nicked ? There were some reports in urw of tents being
stolen in recent years. We all use one man tents and I prefer to take the
tent with me and make camp in a different spot each day.
TIA

I've read of tents being stolen from the campsite at Wasdale, but I
can't vouch for the accuracy of the reports.

I always experience a frisson of anxiety when I leave my tent at a
wild camp and go off to walk for the day, but I think the chances of
having a tent stolen from the hills are small. They may be slightly
higher at an organised campsite, but I'd hope and expect them still to
be small.

I'm interested to hear what others think about this, as it's a thought
that crosses my mind each time I go camping.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 2nd 04, 10:47 PM
Simon Caldwell

wrote:

I'm planning a trip to the Lakedistrict in June 2005 with 2 friends and we
want to do some wildcamping. My friends prefer making a basecamp at Great
Moss and doing daytrips from there but I don't like the idea of leaving my
tent unattended in a much visited spot like Great Moss. Is there much chance
of your tent being nicked ? There were some reports in urw of tents being
stolen in recent years. We all use one man tents and I prefer to take the
tent with me and make camp in a different spot each day.

I've never heard of a tent being stolen from a wild camping spot.
Which isn't to say it never happens, but I wouldn't give it a second
thought. I camped near Great Moss a few years ago and had no worries
about leaving the tent. I wouldn't really describe it as 'much
visited' either, we were there over an August Bank Holiday weekend and
there were very few about.

S.

--
York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk
Old December 2nd 04, 11:10 PM
Paul Richardson

wrote:

I'm planning a trip to the Lakedistrict in June 2005 with 2 friends and we
want to do some wildcamping. My friends prefer making a basecamp at Great
Moss and doing daytrips from there but I don't like the idea of leaving my
tent unattended in a much visited spot like Great Moss. Is there much chance
of your tent being nicked ?

Not sure I would classify Great Moss as being "much visited" .... but
then I haven't camped there for about 7 years. Last time was an August
Saturday night, and we didn't see any other tents in the vicinity of
Cam Spout - there were, however, dozens of day trippers on the Sunday,
swimming in the deep pools downstream of the confllluence of Lingcove
Beck and the Esk - upstream of it, in the Esk, where we swam, we had
the place to ourselves, it was one of the best swims I've ever had in
the hills.

IMHO the population pressure of walkers is much greater on the Sty
Head/ Sprinkling Tarn side of the Scafells than in Upper Eskdale,
partly because of the ease of driving to Langdale/ Borrowdale and
partly because of the the relatively long walk-in on the Eskdale side.

I guess others have been there more recently though.....

Paul
Leigh
Lancs

Old December 2nd 04, 11:10 PM
Judith

wrote:

I always experience a frisson of anxiety when I leave my tent at a
wild camp and go off to walk for the day

Sorry for the thread swerve but .....

When you leave your tent while you go walking for the day, what do you
use as a daysack? I mean, you must have used a relatively large
rucksack to carry your tent and sleeping bag but, if you are leaving
those two larger items at your wild pitch, isn't your rucksack a bit
big to carry half empty? I know that my Karrimor Jaguar 65 litre
feels wierd when there's nothing in it.

Or do you take TWO rucksacks? Or do you only take an emergency mars
bar and drink from streams so you don't need to carry anything on your
walk?

Judith
Old December 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
Peewiglet

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:10:35 +0000, Judith
wrote:

[...]
When you leave your tent while you go walking for the day, what do you
use as a daysack? I mean, you must have used a relatively large
rucksack to carry your tent and sleeping bag but, if you are leaving
those two larger items at your wild pitch, isn't your rucksack a bit
big to carry half empty? I know that my Karrimor Jaguar 65 litre
feels wierd when there's nothing in it.

Or do you take TWO rucksacks? Or do you only take an emergency mars
bar and drink from streams so you don't need to carry anything on your
walk?

Well, it depends. I should really have said that that recently I've
left my tent about two thirds into the day, after pitching it in
readiness for the night, so I've not actually needed to carry a whole
day's worth of food and water with me.

Twice recently I just pitched the tent and took all the rest of my kit
with me, mainly because I'm keen to get used to carrying it all day in
preparation for a long walk next May, and actually blush because I
quite enjoy carrying it. The reason I pitched the tent early was to
make sure of a good site: no more nematodenous, boggy, sloping bits of
grass for me, if possible! :-)

On other occasions, though, I've just carried what I needed with me
in my pockets i.e. gloves, torch, map, compass, camera, whistle, snack
etc, and (as you suggested) grabbed a drink from a stream along the
way. I agree that it feels weird to carry a half empty rucksack, and
I prefer not to do it, if possible.

Ideally, though, I'd like to have a rucksack with a lid that will
detach to become a bumbag, and that's one of the (many) reasons why
I'm planning to buy an Osprey rucksack next year. See here...
http://www.ospreypacks.com/luna60.html :-)

How do you do it?

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 2nd 04, 11:40 PM
Peewiglet

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:35:49 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

[...]
Ideally, though, I'd like to have a rucksack with a lid that will
detach to become a bumbag, and that's one of the (many) reasons why
I'm planning to buy an Osprey rucksack next year. See here...
http://www.ospreypacks.com/luna60.html :-)

See this too... it's ultra-cool!
http://www.ospreypacks.com/excessintro.html These little packs clip
to the back of the Ospreys, and then can be unclipped for use as a
little daysack.

fx: Peewiglet returns to the Osprey site to drool some more...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
Judith

wrote:

many) reasons why
I'm planning to buy an Osprey rucksack next year. See here...
http://www.ospreypacks.com/luna60.html :-)

"Hydration pocket in convertible top lid/fanny pack"

I'm sorry but I couldn't buy/use anything which had a fanny pack. I
can't walk straight when I'm s******ing.

How do you do it?

I have never pitched my tent (wild) and then wandered off. I do leave
it briefly while I go to get water or to perhaps climb a little bit
higher to admire the view but I usually carry everything with me at
all times.

Part of the attraction of wild camping, for me, is being able to say
"Right, here'll do" and put my tent up. I know that the walking would
be more comfortable without the fully-loaded rucksack but it would not
be the same if I had to get back to a certain point because that was
where my tent was pitched.

What I really want to do, and I will do it eventually, is cut my gear
weight right down so that I'm only carrying, say, 5 or 6 kg (rather
than the 11-12kg plus food/water I usally need) and then I can walk
further and more comfortably but still pitch the tent/tarp/binliner
wherever I like.

Judith
Old December 2nd 04, 11:56 PM
Judith

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:40:13 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

See this too... it's ultra-cool!
http://www.ospreypacks.com/excessintro.html These little packs clip
to the back of the Ospreys, and then can be unclipped for use as a
little daysack.

You are obsessed, woman!

Judith
Old December 2nd 04, 11:59 PM
Simon Caldwell

wrote:

I always experience a frisson of anxiety when I leave my tent at a
wild camp and go off to walk for the day

Sorry for the thread swerve but .....

When you leave your tent while you go walking for the day, what do you
use as a daysack? I mean, you must have used a relatively large
rucksack to carry your tent and sleeping bag but, if you are leaving
those two larger items at your wild pitch, isn't your rucksack a bit
big to carry half empty? I know that my Karrimor Jaguar 65 litre
feels wierd when there's nothing in it.

65L? I take a 50L sack, which is the same one I'd use for day walks
anyway. It's also got a removable side pocket which can serve as a
bum bag if I want to travel really light during the day.