Sandbeds Moss

Old June 2nd 09, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

Default Sandbeds Moss

In article ,
Roger wrote:

Who in their right mind would ride a horse across there? Has anyone
actually walked it?

Given that the footpath found its way onto the map before the PROW the
chances are that there was some evidence on the ground but I suspect
that the transition to bridleway is wish fulfilment on the part of
whoever registered the ROW.

Perhaps a community of Greek traders used to travel along it with
their hippopotamuses?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old June 2nd 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

Roger wrote

I don't think I have ever been that way but my 1974 edition of the
1:25000 shows a footpath on much the same line as the bridleway as well
as the bridleway and my 1966 1" also shows the footpath in an area where
the PROW information is not available. However my 1960 1" does not show
the footpath, just the track via Highgate to Lobbs.

It's also worth noting that it's the only bridleway that leaves the hill
in that direction. It may well have been an effort to acknoweldge
the fact that there needed to be an expedient way of linking the exisiting
bridleway network on the hills to the public road at Lobbsm avoiding
a considerable detour.

Chris
--
Photography by Chris Gilbert