Seana Bhraigh: Oykey Bridge // Duag Bridge?

Old August 14th 03, 07:28 PM
Gavin Shaw

Default Seana Bhraigh: Oykey Bridge // Duag Bridge?

The message
from Jim Willsher contains these words:

Does anybody know the current state of play with regards to vehicular
access for Seana Bhraigh? We're aiming to climb it this weekend from Oykel
Bridge and we're planning our route. Is it still permitted to drive as far
as Duag Bridge?

Hi Jim,

You can drive further than Duag Bridge. At approx NH327953, past the first
bungalow but before Corriemulzie Lodge there is a 'Car Parking for Walkers'
sign by an area of grass. You've a choice of 2 bothies now at Loch a' Choire
Mhoir if you're staying over!
--
Gavin
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/

Old August 15th 03, 11:10 AM
Leonard Trim

The message
from Gavin Shaw contains these words:

Hi Jim,

You can drive further than Duag Bridge. At approx NH327953, past the first
bungalow but before Corriemulzie Lodge there is a 'Car Parking for Walkers'
sign by an area of grass. You've a choice of 2 bothies now at Loch a' Choire
Mhoir if you're staying over!
--
Gavin
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/

Hi Gavin,
nice to know you are still around.

--
Len Trim

Old August 17th 03, 10:00 AM
Graham Ingram

@4ax.com...
Gavin,

Just back from a brilliant circuit of Seana Bhraigh. Camped at Lairg

last
night and had a fairly early start this morning.Parked where you

suggested,
and then cycled to the loch. We then did a clockwise circuit, up the

narrow
scrambly ridge and down the shoulder.

Unfortunately we got caught out by a loose stone on the track during

our
drive back. 200 yards past Corriemulzie, we found ourselves sitting

in a
car with a shattered sump! We cycled back to the cottage just before
Corriemulzie, and after two hours of chat with the residents,

followed by
an AA towtruck to Aviemore, followed by McCormicks towtruck to

Perth, we're
finally home!

An epic day, but for all the wrong reasons.....

What a bummer Jim, hopefully not too expensive to get fixed
--
Cheers
Graham

"Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"

284/284 55/219

Return email ~ REMOVE to reply!

Old August 17th 03, 03:23 PM
Gavin Shaw

Ouch Jim!

I was last up the track in June last year, in a Passat. The forestry
commission section below Duag Bridge was in a poor state of repair
compared to how I had previously seen it, in a Peugeot 309, quite a few
years before. Reports from a few weeks ago indicated that this section
had been improved over the last year but the section up to the lodge was
much the same as usual... a slalom course in places. At least you got the
important things done and hopefully the AA didn't quibble about picking
you up off the public highway!

Last year I did a clockwise circuit from the loch; up behind the bothy
to the NW-SE ridge above Toll Lochan (where the walking is on a huge
blanket of beautiful moss like a deep carpet), onto Carn Ban, down to
Loch Sruban Beag, up to Creag an Duine and then the scamble down to the
loch. The RAF put on a private Harrier display half way down the ridge,
showing off to their colleagues building the second bothy. It was very
impressive to see the planes shoot down Coire Mor, go vertical at the
loch and vanish into the cloud base.

Last time I had a disabled car it was in the middle of 'The Maze' on Tiree.
A machair covered range of high sand dunes. It took a landrover to tow me
out and nearly a week to get the parts from Edinburgh to fix my clutch
cable!
--
[...]

[snip]