Mullach na Dheiragain - route details

Old February 14th 04, 01:29 AM
druidh

Default Mullach na Dheiragain - route details

I've a possible trip in mid-March to Mullach na Dheiragain and have been
looking at route options. The SMC approach from Iron Lodge always up the NW
face always looked a bit steep, the 3D view on Anquet convinces me this is
so. I guess I'm looking for anyone who has visited it recently to tell me
just how bad it is - remembering of course that there may even be some snow
around at that time of year.

Possible alternatives are from Alltbeithe or via the Glomach falls, so any
opinions on these routes would also be welcome

Thanks

--

druidh

Old February 14th 04, 07:45 AM
Graham Ingram

Return email ~ REMOVE to reply
"druidh" wrote in message
I've a possible trip in mid-March to Mullach na Dheiragain and have

been
looking at route options. The SMC approach from Iron Lodge always up

the NW
face always looked a bit steep, the 3D view on Anquet convinces me

this is
so. I guess I'm looking for anyone who has visited it recently to

tell me
just how bad it is - remembering of course that there may even be

some snow
around at that time of year.

Possible alternatives are from Alltbeithe or via the Glomach falls,

so any
opinions on these routes would also be welcome

Did this as a single in May 2001. Parked at the good car park at the
road end and cycled into Iron Lodge. A leisurely bike ride with the
first few miles on tarmac and the rest of the track in very good
smooth condition and no really steep bits or difficulties. The cycle
in took just under an hour ( about the same on the way out as the
track is fairly level ). We left the bikes at the lodge and took the
zig zag track up the hill behind the lodge and all the way to loch an
Droma, About 45 minutes took us to the point where you can look at the
long ridge of MnD and pick your route. There were a couple of
footbridges over the burns below and we were soon at the base of the
north ridge. Although it looks imposing by taking a rising traverse
across the hill it is never that steep and height is soon gained. Once
on the ridge ii is a short hop from the north top to the summit and
some superb views on all sides, specially south towards Ceathreamhnan.
The whole trip took just under 7 hours.

In my opinion this is the best way to do this hill if not combining it
with the neighbouring two Munros

Have fun

--
Cheers
Graham

"Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"

284/284 77/219

Old February 16th 04, 09:57 AM
Mark Bull

druidh wrote:

Possible alternatives are from Alltbeithe or via the Glomach falls, so any
opinions on these routes would also be welcome

From Alltbeithe, the col between Ceathreamhnan and An Socach is easily
reached via the marked path. From just above the col on the
Ceathreamhnan side it is possible to make a descending traverse through
some rocky outcrops to Loch Coire nan Dearcag, though snow cover might
make this a bit tricky. It's then straightforward to reach the
Ceathreamhnan/Carn na Con Dhu col, and continue to Dheiragain from
there. If time/energy/weather allow a return over Ceathreamhnan is
probably the best option.

I used this route when doing Socath, Dheiragain and Ceathreamhnan from
a camp near Allbeithe. The next day we walked out over Mullach
Fraoch-choire and A'Chralaig. A good weekend!

Have a good trip,
Mark.

Old February 17th 04, 11:07 AM
RJ Webb

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:29:16 GMT, "druidh"
wrote:

I've a possible trip in mid-March to Mullach na Dheiragain and have been
looking at route options. The SMC approach from Iron Lodge always up the NW
face always looked a bit steep, the 3D view on Anquet convinces me this is
so. I guess I'm looking for anyone who has visited it recently to tell me
just how bad it is - remembering of course that there may even be some snow
around at that time of year.

My one visit was straight up from the north, near Kinlochlungard. I
came over the bealach under Carn Breabeag to the north. This point is
easily accissable up the horrid bulldozer track from Iron Lodge. Not
too steep, but I did fall int the river.

I did not continue over Ceathreamhnan, it is easy to skirt through the
corrie to the top of the stalkers path behing Alltbeithe. This is a
good route from the south.

The hill is one that is really for a multiday approach, in which case
you have a lot of choices. Be warned the glen that drains into Glomach
is evilly boggy.

Richard Webb

Old February 18th 04, 01:49 AM
druidh

wrote:

[...]

That's a really useful last bit! I fancied the return via the Allt Coire
Lochain to Glomach.

Thanks to all who replied - off to study maps again!

druidh