routines for moving

Old September 8th 04, 05:54 AM
mark pfannenstiel

Default routines for moving

Hi all,
Wondering if you could give me a hand comming up with a training
routine for moving day(s). I live with my in-laws and wife - the
inlaws are fairly old and I would feel terrible if they hurt
themselves helping me with the heavy stuff. My wife and I are both
very sedentary, (I would like to change this first) and I expect I
will bear the brunt of the lifting and carrying.

I suppose I could get started on a basic lifting routine to get out of
my current lifestyle, but im looking to add in large numbers of dead
lifting movements in order to train for the "event." Specifically,
Im looking for training information to cope with lifting and carrying
a large number (several dozen) of boxes often loaded with books.
(20-70 lbs I'd guess)

Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 8th 04, 06:04 AM
Kevin J. Coolidge

well deadlifts are great for the boxes of books, but I'd very much reccomend
some type of clean movement as well as some type of grip work. Usually the
objects I help moving are less weight than I train with, but finding a good
hand hold is difficult. Good hand strength, as well as having good forearm
and brachioradius strength will be a benefit.
om...

Old September 8th 04, 07:11 PM
mark pfannenstiel

Thanks for the great advice so far.
I've got about 6 months here - I should finish crawling out of a
mountain of debt and have a deposit(s) put together by then.

Yep, we're both pretty overweight. I think I've had my last fast food
meal for a long time - not a diet by any means, but its a start.

I'm familiar with squats and deads, but I dont know what a clean
is....

Thanks for advice so far.

Lordy wrote in message ...
(mark pfannenstiel) wrote in
om:

My wife and I are both
very sedentary, (I would like to change this first) and I expect I
will bear the brunt of the lifting and carrying.

Sorry forgot to mention... You didnt mention your timescales but take it
easy with squats and deads to start with and get your form down correct.
Maybe walking with the weights is premature advice on my part!! Get plenty
of sleep and plenty of protein whilst "training". Hopefully you'll make it
a long term thing (sounds like you did some research already)..
Take it easy and as you are both sedentary I'm going to assumes overweight
too! If so eat less and this may do wonders for your back! Not sure how
much time you've got though?!

Old September 8th 04, 11:43 PM
bc

(mark pfannenstiel) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,
Wondering if you could give me a hand comming up with a training
routine for moving day(s). I live with my in-laws and wife - the
inlaws are fairly old and I would feel terrible if they hurt
themselves helping me with the heavy stuff. My wife and I are both
very sedentary, (I would like to change this first) and I expect I
will bear the brunt of the lifting and carrying.

I suppose I could get started on a basic lifting routine to get out of
my current lifestyle, but im looking to add in large numbers of dead
lifting movements in order to train for the "event." Specifically,
Im looking for training information to cope with lifting and carrying
a large number (several dozen) of boxes often loaded with books.
(20-70 lbs I'd guess)

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, if you have one big moving event coming up and not too much
time, like less than 2 or 3 months, you might try exercising your
finger and use the yellow pages. We have some local moving guys who
are quick and pretty cheap, plus they are young and strong.

If you do have some time, carrying boxes is a form thing. Learn to
pick up boxes safely. To build some strength, and form, associated
with this, deadlifts are probably your number one lift, with some
pressing work potentially needed for stacking the boxes. If you're
going to be moving a whole lot of stuff up and down stairs or over any
large distance, you might consider a checkup too. The cardiac load of
this kind of activity is pretty high, especially for "dozens" of
boxes. No need to be a "snow shovelling" casualty if you get my drift

- bc

thoughts on these routines? Michael Weights 10 August 27th 04 05:54 PM
Workout Routines...... WaLDo Michael Weights 9 August 1st 04 07:52 AM
After reading this Group, I finally now incorporate squats/dead lifts/core strength exercises into my routines LovingPerson Weights 14 May 3rd 04 12:22 PM
24 hour pumping routines Will Weights 5 April 23rd 04 08:33 PM
REQ: Workout Routines For Bowflex / CrossBow Weights 10 January 19th 04 08:06 PM