Newbie with nausea/weakness

Old January 31st 05, 05:48 AM
goddardwoman

Default Newbie with nausea/weakness

Please forgive what may seem to most of you a simplistic que=ADstion.
History/Background: I'm a 41 year old female, 5'8", 155. F=ADormerly
very athletic, small framed, slender (125-130). After givin=ADg birth,
got out of exercising consistently. I have recently recommi=ADtted
myself
and am having difficulties with weight lifting activities. =ADI do fine

on the treadmill (45-60 min) at a moderately fast jog (4.5 m=ADph ave.).

Regardless of whether or not I have done my aerobic work fir=ADst, or
I'm
just doing weights for the day, my muscles burn out very qui=ADckly, and
become nauseated and weak shortly after I begin lifting weig=ADhts. I
have to recover by lying down. After the nausea passes, I c=ADrave
simple
carbs. I never have this problem with aerobic-type activiti=ADes. I
typically eat a meal or snack that includes simple and compl=ADex carbs
(turkey sandwich on whole wheat, juice, etc.) one to two hou=ADrs before

my workouts. I am not diabetic, nor do I have a heart condi=ADtion
(have
had workups for both). This has happened in the past as wel=ADl, even
when I have been in good shape, cardio wise.

I am really into knowing the biochemistry behind what I am d=ADoing and
why I am doing it. I want to know exactly why this is happe=ADning so I

know how to approach the problem accurately. Biochemically,=AD what is
it
about weight work that bothers me? Is this a creatine probl=ADem?
Thanks in advance!

Old January 31st 05, 11:48 AM
Titan1969

Creatine will not cause that...
Usually its low blood sugar. You should eat several small meals a day,
this will give you alot of fuel for the workout. I drink a protein
drink and 2 pices of toast 1 hour before my workout...anything heavier,
like turkey will make me sick. I eat 5-6 times a day and feel good for
the whole workout. Also your new to lifting again and your body will
take time to adjust to the work and use the food youve eaten to get
thru the workouts. I would scale back a bit for a few weeks then try
again.

Tony Kehl
Developing Fitness Programs for Individuals

www.simplefitness.biz

Old January 31st 05, 12:24 PM
Peter Allen

"goddardwoman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Please forgive what may seem to most of you a simplistic que*stion.
History/Background: I'm a 41 year old female, 5'8", 155. F*ormerly
very athletic, small framed, slender (125-130). After givin*g birth,
got out of exercising consistently. I have recently recommi*tted
myself
and am having difficulties with weight lifting activities. *I do fine

on the treadmill (45-60 min) at a moderately fast jog (4.5 m*ph ave.).

Regardless of whether or not I have done my aerobic work fir*st, or
I'm
just doing weights for the day, my muscles burn out very qui*ckly, and
become nauseated and weak shortly after I begin lifting weig*hts. I
have to recover by lying down. After the nausea passes, I c*rave
simple
carbs. I never have this problem with aerobic-type activiti*es. I
typically eat a meal or snack that includes simple and compl*ex carbs
(turkey sandwich on whole wheat, juice, etc.) one to two hou*rs before

I've had problems that way when I'm dieting.

I think it's a blood sugar issue. Get a bottle of a sports drink and keep
drinking a bit between every set, so your blood sugar levels stay up, try to
avoid exercises that involve lying down, and don't try to knock out sets as
fast as possible.

I'd also strongly suggest you don't do any exercises that involve a free
weight above your body until you get this fixed.

Peter

Old January 31st 05, 12:56 PM
spodosaurus

goddardwoman wrote:
[...]

my workouts. I am not diabetic, nor do I have a heart condi*tion
(have
had workups for both). This has happened in the past as wel*l, even
when I have been in good shape, cardio wise.

I am really into knowing the biochemistry behind what I am d*oing and
why I am doing it. I want to know exactly why this is happe*ning so I

know how to approach the problem accurately. Biochemically,* what is
it
about weight work that bothers me? Is this a creatine probl*em?
Thanks in advance!

How are you "lifting weights"? What exercises, what order, how many
repetitions? How many sets? Are you going to failure? What rep cadence
are you using? And in particular, how much rest are you taking between sets?

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old January 31st 05, 12:57 PM
spodosaurus

spodosaurus wrote:
goddardwoman wrote:

[...]

Oh, and are you doing that hour on the treadmill before or after you do
your lifting? How many days a week are you lifting, etc etc etc.
Basically, we need to know the details.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old January 31st 05, 02:06 PM
goddardwoman

I doesn't seem to matter whether or not I have an aerobic workout
before or not. I can start having problems 5 minutes into an initial
weight (anaeobic) workout. I can jog for 30 minutes, be fine, and get
sick as soon as I start weights. I can lift, be ill, rest, then
continue on with aerobics, no problem. Since I have only been back
into my routine for two weeks, some of this I have learned about myself
from past experience, only I can see it's happening again. In the
past, it has been enough for me to give up weights, and I don't want
that to happen again. What's strange, is that in the middle of my
workout, if I start feeling weak and stop to do a more aerobic task
like timed crunches for 5 minutes, I feel better and can go back to the
weights again for a short period of time. This is why I'm not sure
it's a blood sugar problem. Else, why would I get a "second wind" by
switching to aerobics? I would like to know why this just happens with
weight lifting only. Could this have something to do with my genetic
propensity for quick twitch fibers, or the lack thereof, or lack of use
of? Is this something that will get better with time? Should I just
reduce the weight I use and take a very gradual approach?
Nausea-inducing toxins built up in my muscles from lack of use?

A trainer set me up for doing a combination of machines and free
weights. It's a total body workout with single sets of 10-12 reps,
using between 10 and 95 pounds (please don't laugh, I'm here right?!
), depending on the initial strength of the muscle I'm working (leg
press 95, weak arms at 10). Legs first, arms, back, abs. I rest
during my walk to, and set-up for the next exercise (30 sec-1min).
Sometimes it takes less than the 10-12 reps to get to failure. My burn
often comes within 8 reps. By the time I get to 10-12 reps, I'm at or
near failure. Initially, I'm working weights 3 out of 6 workouts
because I need to lose a lot of fat. I would like to work up to a
combination of weights and aerobics at every workout, if that's
appropriate. My primary goal is to feel better, physically and
mentally, and to have more energy so I can chase my daughter around and
play sports with her readily. My eventual goal, aesthetically, is to
develop a lean but strong and fit look with slight definition.

Also, can anyone suggest a palatable meal replacement product for
before workouts?

I really appreciate the help!

Old January 31st 05, 02:11 PM
goddardwoman

PS: It seems worse when working large muscles like quads, hams, glutes.

Old January 31st 05, 05:05 PM
Per Elmsäter

goddardwoman wrote:
[...]

If it's not blood sugar then it could either be not breathing correctly or a
drop in blood pressure or a combination. I have a low blood pressure to
start out with and sometimes I feel very nauseous almost to the point of
wanting to faint. Especially after heavy squats or lunges.
It was worse when I started out after a summer of not working out in the
gym. Has become better now.

Immediately before every workout I drink a Gainer. Fast whey protein and
fast carbs. I may not finish it before I begin working out, just keep
sipping on it between sets. I also drink one directly after my workout.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old January 31st 05, 05:59 PM
Proton Soup

On 31 Jan 2005 06:11:33 -0800, "goddardwoman"
wrote:

PS: It seems worse when working large muscles like quads, hams, glutes.

What's your heart rate when the nausea hits?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane
Old January 31st 05, 06:04 PM
spodosaurus

goddardwoman wrote:

Nausea-inducing toxins built up in my muscles from lack of use?

No, it's not that :-)

A trainer set me up for doing a combination of machines and free
weights. It's a total body workout with single sets of 10-12 reps,
using between 10 and 95 pounds (please don't laugh, I'm here right?!
), depending on the initial strength of the muscle I'm working (leg
press 95, weak arms at 10). Legs first, arms, back, abs. I rest
during my walk to, and set-up for the next exercise (30 sec-1min).
Sometimes it takes less than the 10-12 reps to get to failure. My burn
often comes within 8 reps. By the time I get to 10-12 reps, I'm at or
near failure.

I have to wonder: are you taking enough rest? You're working to failure,
and you're take only 30-60 seconds rest between sets, and you're not
timing the rest. I'm not on par with the skills of some of the experts
here, but I was wondering if you were getting enough rest between sets.
Try using a count down timer on a watch to make sure you get 90 seconds
rest between sets, and see how you go.

Also, have you been to see your doctor for a blood test? Anaemia makes
nausea come on pretty fast while weight training, and you don't need to
be as severely anemic as I am to feel those effects. Again, timed rest
periods between sets are what helped me.

Also, can anyone suggest a palatable meal replacement product for
before workouts?

How long before? If I eat anything in the hour before lifting I'll get
very nauseaus very quickly.

cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/