Aerobics Certification

Old February 25th 04, 01:46 PM
Julie Marie Kaim

Default Aerobics Certification

Hi. I live in Wisconsin and am looking to get certified (or whatever the
requirements are) to teach aerobics and step aerobics so that I can teach
a class at my work. I've taken aerobics and other fitness classes for
years and this is something I've always wanted to do. Does anyone know
how this is done? If you need additional information I'll give it.

Thanks!

Old February 25th 04, 05:38 PM
Denise Howard

In article
, Julie
Marie Kaim wrote:

Hi. I live in Wisconsin and am looking to get certified (or whatever the
requirements are) to teach aerobics and step aerobics so that I can teach
a class at my work. I've taken aerobics and other fitness classes for
years and this is something I've always wanted to do. Does anyone know
how this is done? If you need additional information I'll give it.

Two of the most-recognized national certifications are those from the
American Council on Exercise (ACE) and the Aerobics and Fitness
Association of America (AFAA). The ACE exam is a standardized written
exam. The AFAA exam is both written and practical. ACE's material has
more depth, but there's something to be said for a practical exam.
Find out which certification is more accepted in your area (it tends to
vary some by region). Go to the websites for more information on how
to get certified:

http://www.acefitness.org
http://www.afaa.com

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
Old February 27th 04, 09:32 PM
z_bumbi

Denise Howard wrote in message ...
Two of the most-recognized national certifications are those from the
American Council on Exercise (ACE) and the Aerobics and Fitness
Association of America (AFAA). The ACE exam is a standardized written
exam.

I have to ask this.
How can ACE be seen as a recognized organisation when they only use a
written test?
I havenīt seen the test but my guess is that I can cram for it in a
week or two and pass it and then Iīm an ACE-intructor?

Bjorn
Old February 27th 04, 09:57 PM
Denise Howard

In article , z_bumbi
wrote:

Denise Howard wrote in message
Two of the most-recognized national certifications are those from the
American Council on Exercise (ACE) and the Aerobics and Fitness
Association of America (AFAA). The ACE exam is a standardized written
exam.

I have to ask this.
How can ACE be seen as a recognized organisation when they only use a
written test?

Well, doctors and lawyers sit for bar/board exams that are "only"
written tests...they don't have to physically demonstrate that they
know any particular procedure. To graduate from school, yes, but not
to get their license, which they legally must have to practice.

I havenīt seen the test but my guess is that I can cram for it in a
week or two and pass it and then Iīm an ACE-intructor?

The idea is to show a certain minimum _knowledge_ of fitness--anatomy,
exercise physiology, etc. How you apply that knowledge to leading
group fitness classes is up to you. Just like doctors and lawyers who
must go forth and apply their knowledge of their fields. The idea is
also not to consider the certification as an end in itself, but as a
beginning. Again, though, that's up to you.

Most (if not all) fitness club directors, when selecting new
instructors, require not only certification but an "audition" which
gives them the opportunity to verify that you walk the walk as well as
talk the talk. So certification alone does not get you a job teaching
fitness classes, just as a college degree alone in computer science
doesn't get you a job as a programmer.

BTW, I'm not equating group fitness instructors with doctors and
lawyers--just using the certification analogy at its simplest.

Old February 28th 04, 10:49 AM
z_bumbi

Denise Howard wrote in message ...
Well, doctors and lawyers sit for bar/board exams that are "only"
written tests...they don't have to physically demonstrate that they
know any particular procedure. To graduate from school, yes, but not
to get their license, which they legally must have to practice.

But they have a degree, thats a big different.
For a this test you only have to study in a textbook ot something like
that and then you are done, as the same goes for the PT-stuff I have
my doubts in ACE.

I havenīt seen the test but my guess is that I can cram for it in a
week or two and pass it and then Iīm an ACE-intructor?

The idea is to show a certain minimum _knowledge_ of fitness--anatomy,
exercise physiology, etc. How you apply that knowledge to leading
group fitness classes is up to you.

But if I take some certification from an organisation I would like it
to be that any klients/future employers etc can trust that all with
the same certification know what their are doing or els my reputaiton
is down the drain with the rest of them. See the problem?

Just like doctors and lawyers who
must go forth and apply their knowledge of their fields. The idea is
also not to consider the certification as an end in itself, but as a
beginning. Again, though, that's up to you.

The doctors and lawyers have a education and have already practically
proven themself over and over again. Of course nobody is ever done in
there education but a bar minimun whould be nice.

Bjorn
Old February 29th 04, 12:47 AM
Denise Howard

In article , z_bumbi
wrote:

[...]

I certainly understand your concern, and this is an ongoing issue in
the fitness industry. Keep in mind that only 20 years or so ago there
were _no_ group fitness certifications at all! Ads for instructors
would simply say something like "dance and/or cheerleading experience
helpful". There were no tempo or format guidelines, no contraindicated
moves or stretches, no music services, no high-tech wicking fabrics, no
heartrate monitors. Are we better off now that at least some level of
certification required? Absolutely--the rate of injury in group
fitness is lower, so folks are still enjoying exercise after a lot of
years instead of getting hurt and dropping out. Can we make it better?
Sure.

Another analogy to look at is nursing: there are several different
"titles" depending on the individual's level of training. Nurse
practitioner, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, physician's
assistant, etc. I could see group fitness instruction moving toward
that kind of hierarchy eventually.

In the meantime, if you are uneasy with the level of training that ACE
or AFAA provide, you could look for someone with ACSM (American College
of Sports Medicine) certification. It's significantly harder (and more
expensive) to earn, but again, it's more "book" based. And not many
people bother to get it because it doesn't result in any higher pay. A
degree in exercise science, kinesiology or similar is even more
in-depth, but says nothing about the person's ability to lead a good
and fun group workout.

If all group exercise instructors were required to go through an
extensive training program or earn a degree, we would be missing out on
some pretty wonderful creative instructors in the industry right now.

Old March 20th 04, 12:44 AM
Sharmilee Sen

I am also a fitness enthusiast who wants to be a group exercise instructor.
I browsed through this email thread and thanks to Denise found quite
some information. However I have one question. I have taken fitness
classes quite a lot but never taught. And teaching or leading a class
is different from taking a class.What I understand this requires
practice but who will allow me to teach a class without certification and
obviously withoutr experience my class might not be so good. This is
something I will have to learn but that requires practical teaching
skills to develop. Can these skills be developed in a few days practical
workshop? Is there any organization in SF BAY AREA which helps in
practical training to become instructors? Thanks.

Old March 20th 04, 01:28 AM
Denise Howard

In article , Sharmilee
Sen wrote:

I am also a fitness enthusiast who wants to be a group exercise instructor.
I browsed through this email thread and thanks to Denise found quite
some information. However I have one question. I have taken fitness
classes quite a lot but never taught. And teaching or leading a class
is different from taking a class.What I understand this requires
practice but who will allow me to teach a class without certification and
obviously withoutr experience my class might not be so good. This is
something I will have to learn but that requires practical teaching
skills to develop. Can these skills be developed in a few days practical
workshop? Is there any organization in SF BAY AREA which helps in
practical training to become instructors? Thanks.

Some clubs/fitness centers will allow you to mentor with an
experienced, certified instructor before you are certified. Typically,
the experienced instructor will have you practice first with him/her,
then eventually try teaching a few minutes of his/her class, then a
different portion of the class, and so on. This will give you some
supervised practice and allow you to decide first-hand whether it's for
you, before you've invested a bunch of money in certification, music,
etc. You could ask the group fitness director at your club, or one of
your favorite instructors.

The basic two-day AFAA certification expects some minimal skills at
cueing, choreography-building techniques, proper sequencing, safety
considerations, intensity monitoring and the like. They do offer a
separate one-day "Practical Skills and Choreography" workshop, intended
to be taken prior to the certification course, to help address your
concerns. http://www.afaa.com/301.afa I can't comment on how well it
might prepare you since I didn't take it (it came along years after I
started teaching.)

The YWCA has their own certification program which, I believe, includes
mentoring. That might be your best bet.

BTW, the annual Cardio Classic fitness conference is happening at the
Fairmont Hotel in San Jose this weekend--you might see if there are any
classes on the schedule which you can sign up for at the last minute,
which would help you prepare. Such conferences are where instructors
go to learn new choreography, gain new knowledge and sharpen their
skills.